Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

I thought that it was a given that most head coaches would bring staff with them but I guess there's probably nothing governing how many there will be. From a personal perspective I know Graham Potter has his 2 assistant coaches and his Data Analytics guy which seems quite small. I imagine some of the more prominent managers have huge entourages.

17 hours ago, BabelRich said:

That’s a great letter from Southgate, apart from the bit about we are clearly progressing as a society but it gets the point across nicely. 

also see Squires in supreme form today. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/jun/08/david-squires-on-the-unlikely-marxist-takeover-of-english-football

For once, the comments deliver.

image.png.da5e4efa4ab8d344cf066e43b1007115.png

4 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I thought that it was a given that most head coaches would bring staff with them but I guess there's probably nothing governing how many there will be. From a personal perspective I know Graham Potter has his 2 assistant coaches and his Data Analytics guy which seems quite small. I imagine some of the more prominent managers have huge entourages.

Yeah Nuno's is huge.  Could also be that he doesn't want the remaining staff to stay on I guess.  Duncan Ferguson at Everton for example seems hard to shift, I think I read there was a similar situation at Palace but can't remember who.

30 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Yeah Nuno's is huge.  Could also be that he doesn't want the remaining staff to stay on I guess.  Duncan Ferguson at Everton for example seems hard to shift, I think I read there was a similar situation at Palace but can't remember who.

TBF would YOU like to be the one to tell Duncan Ferguson he's out of a job?

2 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Ho hum, as always it waas too good to be true, god knows who we end up with (probably fucking Allardyce again as we run out of time/options)

There is defintely a lot of long standing backroom staff at Palace that are well thought of, Parish is (I've heard) fairly loyal in that regard so I can see the concept of binning them off for no reason other than the new manager wants it sitting badly.  

On 07/06/2021 at 13:18, Plissken said:

It speaks volumes for Trippiers quality that a Spanish side is happy to leave that sort of technique to an English player.

I’d completely forgotten that he took them, even though he scored that one in the WC semi-final, and another beauty for Spurs against Fulham at Wembley, but I haven’t seen much Spanish football this season, and Christian Eriksen took 95% of the free kicks at Spurs.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

Guess this answers the 'why him' question. 

No doubt something to do with it. I said in the Spurs thread already, my Italian mate David who is a fanatical watcher of Serie A and Juventus supporter said to me today he had hoped Juve would get him after firing Pirlo. He’s got a better track record than Pochettino did when he arrived at Spurs. No-one really knew who Arsene Wenger was when he arrived in English football either, so hopefully Paratici knows what he’s doing.

12 minutes ago, Jammy said:

No doubt something to do with it. I said in the Spurs thread already, my Italian mate David who is a fanatical watcher of Serie A and Juventus supporter said to me today he had hoped Juve would get him after firing Pirlo. He’s got a better track record than Pochettino did when he arrived at Spurs. No-one really knew who Arsene Wenger was when he arrived in English football either, so hopefully Paratici knows what he’s doing.

Yeah, they are just head coaches now and more disposable than ever with the club management structures put in place behind them.

Wenger was 1996 (quarter of a century ago !), the game was in a totally different place back then and whilst it was of course 'Arsene who' you wouldn't see Arsenal appoint somebody with such limited top flight management experience nowadays.

8 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Wenger was 1996 (quarter of a century ago !), the game was in a totally different place back then and whilst it was of course 'Arsene who' you wouldn't see Arsenal appoint somebody with such limited top flight management experience nowadays.

Apart from the fella they have in charge at the moment ?

Wenger was only unknown as the press were so myopic to European football at the time. His record in France was really good and he took Monaco to a European final and a Champions League quarter I think. Bayern were supposed to have offered him the top job after that. I think it was the move to Japan that made him seem like an odd choice, but the standard and money in the J-League was probably quite appealing to him, as well as it being an experience. I don't think anyone would question it if he was given a Premier League job now as no-one is much of a mystery anymore.

22 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Wenger had a lot of top flight experience - ten years in France split across Nancy and Monaco, winning the league and cup with the latter, and reaching the Champions League semi-final in his final season. There just wasn't the same interest or importance placed on football outside the country among the fans and media in England at the time.

That record probably wouldn't land you a top six job these days, but then in the modern game Wenger would have left for Bayern Munich instead of Grampus Eight.

Edit: I also did not see the joke. :facepalm:

I remember Swansea playing Wenger's Monaco in Europe.  It was back in the days when winning the Welsh Cup would mean European qualification for the likes of Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham.  George Weah was in the team!

17 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Wenger was only unknown as the press were so myopic to European football at the time. His record in France was really good and he took Monaco to a European final and a Champions League quarter I think. Bayern were supposed to have offered him the top job after that. I think it was the move to Japan that made him seem like an odd choice, but the standard and money in the J-League was probably quite appealing to him, as well as it being an experience. I don't think anyone would question it if he was given a Premier League job now as no-one is much of a mystery anymore.

Exactly this - Fonseca did great work with Shakhtar (three domestic trebles in a row). He got stitched up at Porto because they sold all their best players, and at Roma last season when they were expected to kick on, he had big injuries to key players like Zaniolo. The bigger mystery for me than “Who is Fonseca” is the amount of Spurs fans who think, with our most recent track record of 6th and 7th place finishes, the club deserve someone more well-known than a guy who was headhunted by a club as big as Roma.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Yeah his record wasn't markedly different to say, Thomas Tuchel's. We just know more about these people now.

I went on the wikipedia of the 84 year old billionaire Spurs owner Joe Lewis, read about him selling the family business in the late 1970s, him moving into currency trading in the 1980s and 1990s, his move to the Bahamas where he is a tax exile, him in 1992 betting on the pound crashing out of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism. I read about the property he bought in Río Negro Province in Argentina which encircles Escondido lake limiting public access to the lake, i read about him being ordered by the Superior Tribunal de Justicia to create and keep access to the lake and i read his business partner say; "We are going to defend the private property with the Winchester in the hands; with blood if needed". I read about his art collection estimated to be worth $1 billion that includes works by Picasso, Matisse, Lucian Freud, Henry Moore, Francis Bacon, Arturo Di Modica that he keeps on his yachts. 

I read it all and thought, what a cunt.