Jump to content

Football Thread 2020/2021


Gotters
 Share

Recommended Posts

With England, I know the chat is all about Southgate stifling our prodigious attacking talent, but I honestly hope he plays the stodgiest brand of football going. A flat back five, four players sitting and just cannoning balls into the mixer when we can. Shitty penalties, loading the box, playing for time, sitting back. All your young wingers and ball players growing moss on their arse as they stare off into space on the bench. Imagine winning the whole thing like that, it would be absolutely glorious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Did I see they were 90p for a pack of 6? That can't be right surely?

 

It's right, yeah. They've gone up from 80p a pack for the last World Cup 3 years ago.

 

It does seem a lot but then I'm sure inflation adjusted it's not far off what we were paying for them as kids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

 

It's right, yeah. They've gone up from 80p a pack for the last World Cup 3 years ago.

 

It does seem a lot but then I'm sure inflation adjusted it's not far off what we were paying for them as kids.

I'm pretty sure they were 20p for 6 back in 1985. So they are probably slightly behind the rate of inflation. It just seems too rich for me. Last one I did was World Cup 2014 - I think they were 50p then. Another example of football pricing out the working class. 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I'm pretty sure they were 20p for 6 back in 1985. So they are probably slightly behind the rate of inflation. It just seems too rich for me. Last one I did was World Cup 2014 - I think they were 50p then. Another example of football pricing out the working class. 😉

The Star Wars panini stickers in 1996 were 25p a packet, that’s the equivalent of 47p adjusted for inflation. So, yeah, a bit of a jump....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

 

Your view is being coloured by the team you support. Maguire isn't clanger-prone at all (that's Lindelof and Bailly's role in the United defence) and he was injured on May 9th, so he's been out less than a month, not "months." He's also by a distance our best centre back, and considering how weak the other established players in that position are, he's one of the most important players in the squad, second only to Kane, arguably.  Given all of that, plus having a larger squad than usual to work with, I can see the wisdom in taking him in the hope that he can play in the knock out stages.

 

Club loyalty probably prevents you from seeing it, but your argument applies far more to Henderson than Maguire. He's been out for longer, and is probably rustier. He also doesn't bring much on the field that other players don't already do as well or better, apart from the nebulous quality of "leadership" which in his case seems to consist of selfishly taking a penalty off a recognised taker and then missing it, or headbutting an opponent in a World Cup knock out match.

 

Actually, I like Henderson as an England player.  I'd have picked him in the 26.  I'm simply highlighting how your otherwise reasonable point about taking injured players is undermined by your ridiculous prejudice against a Man Utd player, and just factually inaccurate.


Doesn’t matter if Maguire is the reincarnation of Maldini he’ll miss half the games (assuming England get that far) and won’t be physically fit nor match fit throughout. England should go into a tournament with an established CB pairing that shouldn’t be disrupted and a fit back up. Personally I wouldn’t take him. That’s nothing to do with club loyalty nor do I really care how England themselves do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

 

Your view is being coloured by the team you support. Maguire isn't clanger-prone at all (that's Lindelof and Bailly's role in the United defence) and he was injured on May 9th, so he's been out less than a month, not "months." He's also by a distance our best centre back, and considering how weak the other established players in that position are, he's one of the most important players in the squad, second only to Kane, arguably.  Given all of that, plus having a larger squad than usual to work with, I can see the wisdom in taking him in the hope that he can play in the knock out stages.

 

Club loyalty probably prevents you from seeing it, but your argument applies far more to Henderson than Maguire. He's been out for longer, and is probably rustier. He also doesn't bring much on the field that other players don't already do as well or better, apart from the nebulous quality of "leadership" which in his case seems to consist of selfishly taking a penalty off a recognised taker and then missing it, or headbutting an opponent in a World Cup knock out match.

 

Actually, I like Henderson as an England player.  I'd have picked him in the 26.  I'm simply highlighting how your otherwise reasonable point about taking injured players is undermined by your ridiculous prejudice against a Man Utd player, and just factually inaccurate.

 

Wonder if @SweatyTravolta will aggressively post something against the Liverpool fan with a "hate boner" for Manchester United making stuff up like he did with @Gotters the other day?  Maybe another Liverpool fan will come along and tell Danny Boy to fuck off like someone else often does in this thread?

 

Considering the whinging that some people do in here you'd sort of expect them to call out the trolling even if it's a fellow Liverpool fan doing it, but no. :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

So I have to read every single post in here the minute they go up and keep track of every team that each forumite supports? Got it. I'll try harder next time, please understand. 

 

:rolleyes: Nice straw man you have there.

 

If you're going to call out people for having "hate boners" and "making shit up" then at least do it consistently and not ignore and turn a blind eye when your fellow Liverpool fans do it against everyone else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Can we not discuss players without bickering about who supports who? 

 

If that's what you want, maybe try and do it without making up a load of rubbish :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, spork said:

 

If that's what you want, maybe try and do it without making up a load of rubbish :lol:


Then maybe try and debate said ‘rubbish’ like an adult rather than going ‘waaah, Liverpool fan is being nasty to a United player’ it’s not a playground. 
 

I definitely don’t agree that Maguire is solid, he has the odd mistake in him, no way near Pickford levels (no, I’m not being deliberately horrible to Everton) but definitely enough to be exposed at the highest level. Neither do I believe a player who will miss the group stages and won’t be physically fit nor match fit should go. Yes, I don’t believe Henderson should go either but at least he’s not injured and Southgate obviously thinks he’s match fit or close enough to. 

 

If that’s rubbish then please say otherwise instead of trolling. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, spork said:

 

:rolleyes: Nice straw man you have there.

 

If you're going to call out people for having "hate boners" and "making shit up" then at least do it consistently and not ignore and turn a blind eye when your fellow Liverpool fans do it against everyone else.

To do that I'd need to do exactly what I previously said as well as knowing every stat about every player so if someone posts something wrong I can correct them. I only knew Gotters was wrong because he posted the same thing before the end of the season before Mané scored two goals in the final game and Gotters admitted the numbers were out of date and that was it until you've dragged me back into a thread I occasionally skim read when there's nothing else going on because football people are weird. Even the Formula 1 people with their childish names for everybody are nowhere near as bad as some people here. 

 

Thanks for proving me right for not bothering to try and contribute. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:


Then maybe try and debate said ‘rubbish’ like an adult rather than going ‘waaah, Liverpool fan is being nasty to a United player’ it’s not a playground.

 

 

 

I've tried discussing things with you before. When you reply you seem to have forgotten about the rubbish lies you posted previously. You even did it today when feltmonkey replied to your Maguire post, he tried to discuss what you posted but when you came to reply to him you seemingly forgot to acknowledge the made up stuff that he pointed out. At least acknowledge you got something wrong (or made things up again) like Gotters did. Just ignoring it and hoping it goes away makes you look like one of the politics thread trolls.

 

And this all stemmed from "waaah, non Liverpool fan is being nasty to a Liverpool player" with Sweaty getting a bit nasty towards Gotters for "making up shit" which is exactly what you do! I was only wondering whether he'd get abusive towards you like he did for the non Liverpool fan, but it turns out it's one rule for Liverpool fans and another for everyone else. The lack of self awareness is absolutely incredible :lol:

 

By all means continue posting with your anti manchester united agenda, no one really cares, just don't get upset if it gets called out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57382945

 

Nice to see the BBC both sides-ing fucking racism. Between these gobshite fans, the establishment justifying the behaviour, and the recent fucking shambles regarding Hillsborough, I've taken the decision that I don't want to support England in the Euros. I think I posted on here just after the EU referendum in relation to not supporting England in the previous Euros, but I struggle to identify as English any more, which is particularly sad given that it was England in Euro 96 that initially turned me on to football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57382945

 

Nice to see the BBC both sides-ing fucking racism. Between these gobshite fans, the establishment justifying the behaviour, and the recent fucking shambles regarding Hillsborough, I've taken the decision that I don't want to support England in the Euros. I think I posted on here just after the EU referendum in relation to not supporting England in the previous Euros, but I struggle to identify as English any more, which is particularly sad given that it was England in Euro 96 that initially turned me on to football.

The England team is taking a firm stance against it, including Southgate, so why let some stupid cunts who are going against that ruin the tournament for you?

 

There are pricks everywhere and always will be, unfortunately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Timmo said:

The England team is taking a firm stance against it, including Southgate, so why let some stupid cunts who are going against that ruin the tournament for you?

 

There are pricks everywhere and always will be, unfortunately.

I appreciate that stance, this manager and group of players are very likeable and generally a good bunch of lads - it was enough to carry me along during the World Cup. It's less to do with the football though, and more to do with my current lack of nationalistic identity, this latest incident has just underlined the contradiction between that and continuing to support the England national team.

 

I'll still be able to enjoy the football, and that will likely still include watching the England games, I just won't have any emotional attachment to who wins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You’ve also got the tuneless cunts in the England band playing The Great Escape and the national anthem repeatedly during every England game which plays into the bigots booing them taking the knee. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:


Doesn’t matter if Maguire is the reincarnation of Maldini he’ll miss half the games (assuming England get that far) and won’t be physically fit nor match fit throughout. England should go into a tournament with an established CB pairing that shouldn’t be disrupted and a fit back up. Personally I wouldn’t take him. That’s nothing to do with club loyalty nor do I really care how England themselves do. 

 

I can certainly see the argument against taking injured players, it's something that comes up every single England squad, it seems.  What's your opinion of England taking Henderson?

 

In this case, with the mitigating factors at play - the larger squad, Maguire's quality and importance to the squad, how poor the back-ups are - it seems a gamble worth taking.  Centre back is a position where it is sometimes easier to return from injury, I think.  This is based on nothing more than my own observation over the years, by the way, and may be nonsense.  

 

Talking of nonsense, I wasn't posting to stir up another round of Man Utd vs Liverpool, and I have no interest in hate boners.  I only mentioned club bias as I felt it was leading your opinion of Maguire as being "clanger prone" and wanted to point out that saying he had been out "months" was factually wrong.  The fact that you were using Maguire to illustrate your point about not taking injured players and ignoring Henderson kind of pointed to club blinkers and undermined your point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I appreciate that stance, this manager and group of players are very likeable and generally a good bunch of lads - it was enough to carry me along during the World Cup. It's less to do with the football though, and more to do with my current lack of nationalistic identity, this latest incident has just underlined the contradiction between that and continuing to support the England national team.

 

I'll still be able to enjoy the football, and that will likely still include watching the England games, I just won't have any emotional attachment to who wins.

 

You don't need to feel nationalistic identity to support the England team though.  Of course, it's up to you (and I recommend supporting Wales instead if you're looking for someone else to support over the tournament.  They have a likable team, and their fans are all endearingly delighted to be there) but you could do what I've always done - support the team while still disliking almost every aspect of the fanbase as a collective.  Whenever I've been in a large group of England fans, it's not been a positive experience. I don't like the chanting about World Wars, I don't like the arms-in-the-air lobster-faced drunkeness, I don't like the brexity attitude, I don't like the fucking band, I don't like the press hysteria, I don't like the vilification of any player that is percieved to be at fault for our inevitable exit from a tournament, I don't like the beers being performatively thrown into the air when a goal goes in, I don't like the general lairyness, I don't like the hooliganism, I don't like the racism.  I do quite like Three Lions the song, but I don't like Vindaloo.  The song, again.  

 

The first England match I ever went to was when we played Cameroon in a friendly after the 1990 World Cup.  Cameroon were everyone's second favorite team, they had Roger Miller, they were brilliant to watch, they committed the biggest and best fouls, they were great fun.  They had even lost, narrowly and unluckily, to England in the tournament so we had no reason to resent them.  Surely everyone was there at Wembley for this friendly to see them play.  The England fans booed their national anthem.  Sat not far from us were two Cameroon fans who just looked sad.  My Dad and I clapped with out hands above our head to try to communicate that we weren't part of this, and to his eternal credit my Dad's mate stood up and yelled "Come on Cameroon!" at the top of his voice.  This attracted the attention of a skinhead, but fortunately nothing more than muttering ensued.

 

Despite all this I will spend most of the next month thinking exclusively about football, and specifically the England team.  I know I'll watch every England game standing up in my living room, unable to sit down, I know at some point I'll be beside myself with joy at some goal we've scored, and I know I'll be devestated when we go out.  You don't have to be part of that group of shitheads who boo players for standing against racism to support England.  Most individual England fans are fine, especially everyone in this thread, even the Liverpool fans who I hate (this is a joke, sheesh) so it's probably not the majority who are dicks.  It's just that you get a tendency towards dickishness when you get crowds of them.  You can support them and not be part of the crowd.  Or, you know, support Wales.  Or no-one.  It's up to you.  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You don't need to be nationalistic to support the national side, much like you can support your local football team whilst simultaneously believing the place to be a shithole you can't wait to escape from. 

 

They're separable. And a good thing, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

You don't need to be nationalistic to support the national side, much like you can support your local football team whilst simultaneously believing the place to be a shithole you can't wait to escape from. 

 

They're separable. And a good thing, too.

 

This.

 

They are a likeable team and they and the manager have said and done the right things.  It's not their fault that, in general, the average England supporter who follows the team home and away has the IQ of a tin of spam.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Where are people reading that Maguire is out for all the group games? Because the main reporting - as it has been for a good while now - is that he may be fit for Croatia.


Looks like someone might have made it up :coffee:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

The Star Wars panini stickers in 1996 were 25p a packet, that’s the equivalent of 47p adjusted for inflation. So, yeah, a bit of a jump....

 

 

 

The biggest reason to not bother with Panini now is they've gone hard into the NFT fad.  I cancelled their F1 collection because of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Pants McSkill said:

Where are people reading that Maguire is out for all the group games? Because the main reporting - as it has been for a good while now - is that he may be fit for Croatia.

 

Quote

Southgate has problems in defence. Tyrone Mings struggled in both warm-up games and there are no guarantees that Maguire will feature in the group stage. The Manchester United centre-back has not played since 9 May and resumed running only last week.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/07/ben-white-called-into-england-euro-2020-squad-in-place-of-alexander-arnold

 

That's one source. I haven't looked anywhere else but I think that covers it.

 

It's really disappointing that supposed well adjusted adults can't discuss football without resorting to the playground bullshit this thread descends into every few days. That isn't a dig at you @Pants McSkilland it isn't aimed at anyone in particular, it's a general observation of probably 6 or 7 idiots who support various clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Timmo said:

The England team is taking a firm stance against it, including Southgate, so why let some stupid cunts who are going against that ruin the tournament for you?

 

There are pricks everywhere and always will be, unfortunately.

 

Nah - fuck that.

 

The odd stupid cunt at a game shouting something racist is never going to away, but unlike 10/20 years ago - its likely that fan will get called out, thrown out and banned.

 

This is racists feeling embolden to boo their own players at the start of a game (perhaps the first game they've attended in 18 months) under the cover of saying they are against a political ideology to 'justify' it and much worse, this is excused by MPs and the media.

 

Its a slippery slippery slope.

 

What's next? - the Mail exposes a company Rashford is working with as supplying non fair trade fruit to feed hungry UK children and it leads to fans to start chucking bannanas at him in protest at his poor supplier choices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.