Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

Arsenal have had so many of those over the years. Ozil, Adebayor, Ramsey, Walcott, Sanchez, Aubameyang even Flamini all went on unprecedented runs of form where they were unplayable for months on end and had fans tearing their own faces off in desperation to keep them. They all then either left or settled back to mean or worse before the ink was dry on their new deal. Maybe it's just coincidence. 

7 hours ago, Dudley said:

Then don't have the match, it's entirely pointless.  All you've done is injured a starter, put another game into players who've already basically played 2 seasons and injured a starting player.

It's a friendly. It's there to inform decisions you make at the imminent major tournament and you're not doing that.

It's not pointless, it allows us to see players who haven't played much for England like Saka, Grealish, Bellingham, all who are sure to either start or play a part, to see them again and for Jack to improve his fitness. Alexander-Arnold was injured but that can happen in any game or in any training session. The formation, Trippier at left back, how Mings is likely to get sent off, Southgate is taking things from every game. 

I'd prefer the players to get more than a week off, sure. 

I think taking Maguire is a mistake. Southgate has messed up his centreback choices and not previously given call ups to players who would have given him more options now. It probably won't matter anyway, England are conceding against any opposition. 

Whenever I see/hear Rashford talk he comes across really well and I believe he's totally behind his own initiatives, this isn't some PR guff the likes of Rooney did to rehabilitate their image, I believe he wants to do this because of his own upbringing and is the driving force behind it.

I just hope the scum press don't 'get him' - there is probably quite a large price on his head for dirt and I hope he doesn't do anything daft that lets people deflect the conversation away from what he's trying to achieve.

31 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Whenever I see/hear Rashford talk he comes across really well and I believe he's totally behind his own initiatives, this isn't some PR guff the likes of Rooney did to rehabilitate their image, I believe he wants to do this because of his own upbringing and is the driving force behind it.

I just hope the scum press don't 'get him' - there is probably quite a large price on his head for dirt and I hope he doesn't do anything daft that lets people deflect the conversation away from what he's trying to achieve.

He doesn't need to do anything for the press to 'get him' - they did Sterling for buying his mum a nice house didn't they? 

They are probably hoping for a Rashford penalty miss in the Euros though...

5 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Arsenal have had so many of those over the years. Ozil, Adebayor, Ramsey, Walcott, Sanchez, Aubameyang even Flamini all went on unprecedented runs of form where they were unplayable for months on end and had fans tearing their own faces off in desperation to keep them. They all then either left or settled back to mean or worse before the ink was dry on their new deal. Maybe it's just coincidence. 

Adebayor even did it for Spurs as well. I seem to remember he looked good when he turned up on loan. He promptly went to shit. But to be fair he had a lot of trouble in his private life. 

I'll always have a grudging respect for that full pitch length celebration he did against us when he scored for City.  I still to this day have no idea what we did to piss him off that badly. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

He's a very grounded lad, and surrounds himself with smart people where the politics is concerned. Should be OK.

Only really caught the first half hour of the Ireland game which was dull as fuck. The telly was still on for the second half but I managed to miss all five goals as they went in, which I thought was most impressive. 

23 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

The betting markets are pricing Ireland at about the same level as Malta at the moment. They can’t carry on like this surely.

I was chatting with my mate last night about maybe betting against Ireland just to get something out of it.

Didn't in the end, but Ireland were given less chance of winning by the bookies than Montserrat last night against the US Virgin Islands.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I've got a man utd supporting acquaintance who always finds the opportunity to tell Rashford to "go back to being a dinner lady" every time man utd don't win, regardles of whether he played or not, the press don't need any dirt on him.

A close friend has told me that Kane has just paid £100,000 for a golfing permit at Beaverbrook (old Churchill place in Surrey) suggesting he’s staying in the South and that his agent has let slip he’s off to Chelsea...

Admittedly he does also question the Moon landings...

20 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

A close friend has told me that Kane has just paid £100,000 for a golfing permit at Beaverbrook (old Churchill place in Surrey) suggesting he’s staying in the South and that his agent has let slip he’s off to Chelsea...

Admittedly he does also question the Moon landings...

There’s more chance of Kane joining Aldershot than Chelsea.

If you earn £300k a week before even adding in commercial contracts dropping £100k on a golf club membership isn't really a big purchase that you feel the need to get value from in terms of cost per round or it being just round the corner from where you live.

It's just a no thought impulse purchase. 

Regarding Conte and Spurs it worries me on one hand as he seems to be pretty amazing at organising a team and winning things in a very short space of time, on the other hand within 6 months he's causing chaos behind the scenes and calling all the owners/senior management cunts. 

53 minutes ago, Gotters said:

If you earn £300k a week before even adding in commercial contracts dropping £100k on a golf club membership isn't really a big purchase that you feel the need to get value from in terms of cost per round or it being just round the corner from where you live.

It's just a no thought impulse purchase. 

Regarding Conte and Spurs it worries me on one hand as he seems to be pretty amazing at organising a team and winning things in a very short space of time, on the other hand within 6 months he's causing chaos behind the scenes and calling all the owners/senior management cunts. 

As I said in the Spurs thread, Conte will either be a massive success and win something next season, or he will be quitting after six months after falling out with Levy.

21 hours ago, Gotters said:

You should be happy, he scored more league goals than Mane or Firminho last season and I'm sure he wasn't just putting in a bit effort at the end of the season as his contract ran out.

Danny Welbeck always seems to manage 5 games without injury when his is up too. 

Your hate boner for Liverpool is so strong that you just make shit up now? Benteke scored 10, Mané got 11. Look forward to you mocking the fact that one of Liverpool's supposed top strikers only scored one more than Benteke.

11 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Your hate boner for Liverpool is so strong that you just make shit up now? Benteke scored 10, Mané got 11. Look forward to you mocking the fact that one of Liverpool's supposed top strikers only scored one more than Benteke.

Almost Rafa like with your stat 'fact' takedown. Fair point it was an old nugget I had knocking round in my head before Mane went 1 clear of Benteke on the last day of the season.

For BBC like balance I'll add that Benteke was level on league goals with Aubamyang. 

Not a hate boner btw, just a very strong dislike one. 

I see there's a Palace documentary on Prime for @skadupuk.

Although I think Amazon might be trolling Palace fans with the thumbnail for episode 4.

Unrelated, but I still wish we had Benteke or Ihenacho. Players better equipped to take the chances we create who wouldn't be catastrophically expensive.

6 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I see there's a Palace documentary on Prime for @skadupuk.

Although I think Amazon might be trolling Palace fans with the thumbnail for episode 4.

Unrelated, but I still wish we had Benteke or Ihenacho. Players better equipped to take the chances we create who wouldn't be catastrophically expensive.

The documentary  was completed just after the season it shows but has been stuck ever since due to an endless set of legal challenges around images/foootage etc.

Rewatching the play off semi-final at your gaff reminds me of just how good Yannick Bolasie was before he got injured at Everton, my favourite quote about him was by Neil Warnock re. his skill at beating his marker "Yala doesn't really know what he's doing next, so the full back has no chance"

Great exaple below, he really was a joy to watch.

The "poogate" saga was ridiculous in the end, it was the Palace coach driver who had a catastrophic stomache incident and was so embarrased he didn't tell anyone for weeks!

5 hours ago, skadupuk said:

The documentary  was completed just after the season it shows but has been stuck ever since due to an endless set of legal challenges around images/foootage etc.

Rewatching the play off semi-final at your gaff reminds me of just how good Yannick Bolasie was before he got injured at Everton, my favourite quote about him was by Neil Warnock re. his skill at beating his marker "Yala doesn't really know what he's doing next, so the full back has no chance"

Great exaple below, he really was a joy to watch.

The "poogate" saga was ridiculous in the end, it was the Palace coach driver who had a catastrophic stomache incident and was so embarrased he didn't tell anyone for weeks!

Don’t like that Warnock quote, does him a disservice. 

7 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

This whole thread is full of them. I wouldn't worry too much, find the 'ignore' button like I have.

I can't believe it, Celtic have apparently agreed compensation for Postecoglu as manager. The random Australian guy in Japan who doesn't have the relevant qualifications. 

I'm so confused by this choice, there's a 99% chance of disaster.