Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

I have, not much, but I don't think there's much to see, there's nothing inspired about his touch and finishing, and the point brought up was about strikers to score, not run around. Bamford is just as hard working and there's no striker in the league who this season had a better collection of brilliant finishes, but he's nowhere in the look in, as unlike Watkins he didn't come on for England and score but then he didn't get the chance. Lack of pace and multitude of chances usually missed has meant Bamford was ignored. Watkins has nowhere near the touch or finishing Bamford has. He scored the most Bergkamp goal this season, he's a really impressive player who for some reason creates a perception when he plays of not being that good, so when he does score a worldy you're sort of surprised.

I just don’t know how you can say you haven’t watched much of him but conclude he has ‘nowhere near the touch and finishing...’

He has bags of both and would have had plenty more goals this season if it hadn’t been for some nonsense offside calls. 

Short answer: he’s left footed and a good passer of the ball.  Probably good in the dressing room too.  

Slightly longer answer: Konsa is a bit more standoffish. He blocks shots a lot compared to most other players. Like to a ridiculous amount. Maybe Southgate wants someone stronger in the tackle.  Konsa’s time will come though, though I believe he’s also eligible for DR Congo and Portugal so maybe it’s not with the England squad. 

2 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Any Villa lads care to explain how Mings has got in ahead of Konsa?

Mings is left footed, decent on the ball, fairly quick and a decent passer. He likes a tackle and he likes tussling for the ball. He's also extremely vocal and I'd imagine he's an asset in the dressing room.

Konsa is a much more about blocks, cutting out long balls, and just getting on with it. He had a period midway through the season were he was the only defender in the league who hadn't been beaten by a run or pass IIRC. He isn't so much about tackling, outmuscling an attacker, and he's not very vocal or doing much organisational stuff. In the long run he'll be a better defender than Mings overall and he makes less mistakes than Mings already, but equally he is currently just a top half centre back. He also ended the season more poorly than he started it, looking a bit burnt out.

2 hours ago, Gabzy said:

Lingard starting today - I'm struggling to understand the point of that if he's not going to the Euros?

It's insane isn't it. Makes absolutely no sense in a warm up match for a tournament.

24 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

France Wales ruined by the ref. Ridiculous red card.

just seen it. It’s like he was caught between protecting his face, for the close range shot, and getting him arms down so not to give a penalty.

it’s not like he scooped it off the line. 

that ref...

23 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I mean I get the penalty as it probably prevented a goal, but sending the kid off? Jeez what a cunt.

But if his hands weren’t there his face would’ve stopped the ball surely.

Just madness.

So this is your last chance to try and field your team, get them to play as a team, historically one of England's major problems.

And you start a player not even in the squad?

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

So this is your last chance to try and field your team, get them to play as a team, historically one of England's major problems.

And you start a player not even in the squad?

The Man United, Chelsea and Man City players are having a week off after the 2 European finals, i don't know why people keep bringing this up. And Sancho is ill, Henderson still recovering. 

I'd have pretty much picked the exact side as Southgate did tbh given the players available. There's never going to be every player available at peak fitness and form. I don’t see why it's such a big deal that Lingard is playing despite not being taken. Alexander-Arnold is probably out so he's in contention now though it'll probably be Ward Prowse. I really doubt it will be Wan Bissaka. 

8 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

The Man United, Chelsea and Man City players are having a week off after the 2 European finals, i don't know why people keep bringing this up. And Sancho is ill, Henderson still recovering. 

I'd have pretty much picked the exact side as Southgate did tbh given the players available. There's never going to be every player available at peak fitness and form. I don’t see why it's such a big deal that Lingard is playing despite not being taken. Alexander-Arnold is probably out so he's in contention now though it'll probably be Ward Prowse. I really doubt it will be Wan Bissaka. 

Then don't have the match, it's entirely pointless.  All you've done is injured a starter, put another game into players who've already basically played 2 seasons and injured a starting player.

It's a friendly. It's there to inform decisions you make at the imminent major tournament and you're not doing that.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Then don't have the match, it's entirely pointless.  All you've done is injured a starter, put another game into players who've already basically played 2 seasons and injured a starting player.

It's a friendly. It's there to inform decisions you make at the imminent major tournament and you're not doing that.

It's likely more complicated than just "don't have the match". It would have been scheduled long before it was known that three of the four European finalists were English clubs containing a sizeable chunk of the squad. Cancelling late on would be extremely poor form and disrespectful to opponents who are also in the Euros and would be using the game for their own preparation, and don't need to be scrabbling around for an opponent at short notice.

28 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Especially as the game was in Middlesbrough. 

Was it? I don't even know what the score was. An utterly pointless round of friendlies.

It's not preparation for the tournament though.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

It's likely more complicated than just "don't have the match". It would have been scheduled long before it was known that three of the four European finalists were English clubs containing a sizeable chunk of the squad. Cancelling late on would be extremely poor form and disrespectful to opponents who are also in the Euros and would be using the game for their own preparation, and don't need to be scrabbling around for an opponent at short notice.

It's also poor form and disrespectful to play such a 2nd string team you're starting people you've just said aren't good enough to be in the first 23. 

If you have to have the match, then treat it like one.

13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's not preparation for the tournament though.

It was for Austria. And if that's related to my response to NeoElite, it was for France, Scotland, Wales, Netherlands and every other qualifier who played.

I was surprised to see Lingard on the field too. However, I don't pay much attention to the England team, so I don't really know if his appearance there was to allow Southgate to play his preferred match tactics, rather than playing exclusively those in his squad of 23 but having to adjust to suit who's available.

To say it's not preparation because it includes those not in the squad is too simplistic. Though of course, if it is the case that enough of the tactics and the players used last night aren't going to be employed competitively, then it's a bit of a waste.

1 minute ago, skadupuk said:

I can only assume its cheaper than buying someone...*sigh*

You should be happy, he scored more league goals than Mane or Firminho last season and I'm sure he wasn't just putting in a bit effort at the end of the season as his contract ran out.

Danny Welbeck always seems to manage 5 games without injury when his is up too. 

15 minutes ago, Gotters said:

You should be happy, he scored more league goals than Mane or Firminho last season and I'm sure he wasn't just putting in a bit effort at the end of the season as his contract ran out.

Danny Welbeck always seems to manage 5 games without injury when his is up too. 

At Palace its referred to as "doing a Tommy Black"

Incredibly talented yet lazy player who put in 8 of the greatest performances in years in a Palace shirt after doing fuck all for 3 years, getting his new contract and then doing fuck all again.