Football Thread 2020/2021

3 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

The fawning over Lampshade(Lampard, but I love that auto correct) in the media does my head in. Here's a more balanced view. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/sep/19/frank-lampards-blue-privilege-self-made-jurgen-klopp-chelsea-liverpool

He’s incredibly fortunate to be where he is.

Mendy, Chilwell and Silva should provide more stability but gelling a team takes an astute manager with a clear direction, which hasn’t been apparent yet.

At least he can try and manage West Ham out of the Championship in a few years*

*given my record with predictions, this post all but guarantees Chelsea will win a treble this season and Lampshade will be knighted.

Lampard is in a fortunate position when as a 1y in manager circumstances transpired to make him a fit for Chelsea as the new manager during their transfer ban period, then the pandemic happened which in conjunction with some big sales they've banked has enabled them to snap up players they'd have had a lot more competition for otherwise.

None of which makes him necessarily any more qualified for the job, his playing career was always personified by that graft to succeed over natural ability style (I'd compare him to Gary Neville in that respect, his career wasn't a given due to natural gifts, he earned it and worked for it), so I'm sure he'll be working at this very hard. But managing a squad of egos and getting the best out of them tactically isn't the same as staying back an extra hour in training to practice shooting from outside the box to get deflected goals and doing an extra 30mins on the exercise bike.

Time will tell but I'm not getting the same vibes off Lampard as say Arteta at present

Just now, Boothjan said:

My F5 key will be getting a pounding throughout the day...

From Matt Doherty to Nelson Semedo??!  This would be a ridiculous signing if it comes off.

he started in the 2-8 vs Bayern didn't he ?

In more glamorous news, 31 year old Dale Stephens probably going from Brighton to Burnley about 4 years after he originally wanted to. TBF he's a Lancashire lad and will maybe get more game time than he is with us at the moment. I don't know what Burnley's defensive midfield is looking like at the moment.

He's like a high end version of one of those strikers relegated clubs always sell to promoted clubs, despite the fact they are lucky to get 5 goals a season, new club always say something like 'he knows the league and the way to goal', like Marcus Bent.

Ramsdale is such a waste of money. I know we can’t expect Henderson quality again, but you could have a keeper at Ramsdale’s level for a tenth of what we paid. Really poor positioning and he just flaps at anything.

From a Villa point of view I'll take that result all day long.  Already two points up on last season's equivalent fixtures.  

As for the game?  Sheffield United defended like trojans, I'm not sure why anybody was expecting us to tear them apart after the red card because if they are known for one thing then it's for being extremely organised and had, what, the fourth best defence in the Premier League last season? 

Penalty aside (and it was at most a "seen em given" level award) we looked comfortable.  Martiez projects composure and confidence, Konsa is looking like another player who is very calm on the ball. I felt Luiz dictated play in the middle, McGinn was below par, the forwards were given next to no room to manoeuvre  so I'm not sure we can really draw too many conclusions.  Nice to see Watkins play centrally and run the channels, Cash solid on his debut.   Be interesting to see how we shape up against Fulham who look like they will be less compact that Sheffield United were. 

this is most surprising news, upstanding bastion of fair play, honesty and goodwill to all men and races Luis Suarez has apparently been caught cheating trying to get an Italian passport ahead of a proposed move to Juve. Apparently he'll be OK though as Athleti are set to offer him refuge in Spain. 

Fun fact, Ushuaia mentioned on his t-shirt is at the southern tip of Argentina and is the most southerly town in the world and I've been there. Very nice place it is too, went on a boat ride to see penguins.

I have nothing sporting related to add.