Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

30 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

Well if they fielded this team against Liverpool on the 13th we wouldn't care - three games in five days is bollocks though.

Exactly. They should play their best team against Leicester and give us a vain hope we might get top four by beating them on Thursday!

....we'd probably still have 400 shots and not win anyhow.:wacko:

1 hour ago, Chewylegs said:

Whatever happened to the outcry of fielding a weakened side?... That Man U side is a disgrace.

Probably just following Liverpool’s approach against Shrewsbury last year. 

3 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Why do you have to be so toxic bro?

Coming from you that's pretty special! Why do you not call him out for trolling bro? Or the other toxic Liverpool fans who get abusive for no reason? Makes you think :sherlock:

9 minutes ago, spork said:

Coming from you that's pretty special! Why do you not call him out for trolling bro? Or the other toxic Liverpool fans who get abusive for no reason? Makes you think :sherlock:

There was no humour in your post though, you just called someone shit. That was the joke. In a thread about football. It’s toxic behaviour, and your whataboutism cannot save you.

Just now, dizogg said:

There was no humour in your post though, you just called someone shit. That was the joke. In a thread about football. It’s toxic behaviour, and your whataboutism cannot save you.

Just because it flew right over your head doesn't mean it wasn't amazingly hilarious! I look forward to the arbiter of decency calling out trolling and abuse from Liverpool fans in the future. Anyway, this is the football thread so I'll leave it there. Good day bro!

Just now, spork said:

Just because it flew right over your head doesn't mean it wasn't amazingly hilarious! I look forward to the arbiter of decency calling out trolling and abuse from Liverpool fans in the future. Anyway, this is the football thread so I'll leave it there. Good day bro!

Aren’t you going to apologise?

Take a look at yourself for crying out loud. It was clearly a joke. 

Relying on Man United is something we have created for ourselves. So no arguments from me. Hopefully we win our games and Leicester lose one of the remaining two left. If we miss out, then it is fully deserved as we have been shocking all season. Not finishing at least second in this league is a poor return ;). 

Ole: “We have pushed Manchester City all the way, until 10-12 days left in the season and it is a very good achievement because they are a very good team.

That’s some interpretation!

United have been pretty ‘meh’ all season, they definitely need to improve if they want to maintain this position next year, they definitely won’t get away with falling behind so often or relying upon a moment of individual magic from one of their standout performers. They’ve been a rather underwhelming runners up. Once City got their act together they just strolled it. A drab season altogether. Lack of preseason, scheduling, empty stadiums and VAR seemingly defining and even deciding way too many games just made it all too forgettable. 

Another Hodgson tactical masterclass, 2-1 down to Southampton and we are all over them second half trying to get an equaliser with plenty of (rare for us) attacking play, so he decides to change the formation that was working so well back to the weak (through the middle) 442 he loves so much annnnnnnnnd......

Almost immediately 3-1 Southampton, Ings strolls right through to score.

And then we haven't been out of our own half since.

On 11/05/2021 at 09:47, Naysonymous said:

It makes you wonder how Graham Potter would do at a club who had Harry Kane and Son Heung-min up front instead of Danny Welbeck and Neal Maupay.  

I’m reasonably confident that Potter is the new Eddie Howe. Always linked with a move but never quite makes it. At least that’s what I hope in the medium term because his style is the key to our survival and the only hope we have for developing 

Just seen this

Is it necessary really for managers to do these silly declarations? Before these amazon documentaries i didn't realise they did. The players are clearly awkward, i don’t think it would encourage me if i was sat there. It's different to Ferguson telling stories of growing up or whatever, only Americans can feel comfortable with the self-aggrandizing Pep is coming out with there. Maybe it's just unfortunate expressing in a second language.   

A large part of management is motivation and group building / bonding.  I mentioned it elsewhere but the Amazon Prime documentary "Making Their Mark" follows last years AFL season and concentrates on some coaches and their different methods of team building and approaching games.  It really isn't about directing operations on the pitch any more.

So being widely reported that the PL tv deal is being rolled for 3y with Sky/BT/Amazon rather than going to auction, as has been suspected for a while.

Little nugget in there though is that BT will be able to move their 1230 Sat game to a 1945 kick off if the teams played in the CL on Weds - I know they don't get first picks so may only be a couple of times a season but its another fuck you to people going to games.

13 minutes ago, Gotters said:

So being widely reported that the PL tv deal is being rolled for 3y with Sky/BT/Amazon rather than going to auction, as has been suspected for a while.

Little nugget in there though is that BT will be able to move their 1230 Sat game to a 1945 kick off if the teams played in the CL on Weds - I know they don't get first picks so may only be a couple of times a season but its enough fuck you to people going to games.

Yeah, I don't know why they don't agree to just not pick those games

1 minute ago, Mike1812 said:

Yeah, I don't know why they don't agree to just not pick those games

that would then diminish the value of that slot, so I guess its the compromise offered to maintain the current deal ££££ and stop managers whining at BT Sport interviewers in those games. 

though now we'll get Klopp moaning about playing Saturday night and the following Tues. 

3 hours ago, Plissken said:

Genius marketing idea if you ask me.

a7uWf7t.jpg

Posted this elsewhere but I actually had my vaccine at the home of my beloved Aston Villa.  They didn’t offer me a season ticket, though the jabs were administered in the suite of the Holte End which is for season ticket holders only.  

088C5E92-A748-444F-BF98-D8A203964EDB.jpeg