Football Thread 2020/2021

1 hour ago, wev said:

Are Arsenal still hovering around Zaha?

Can't see it, the money we want for him (and have stood firm on) buys a much younger player, with better potential for resale/growth.

He's 27 now, and he signed a 5 year contract at an incredibly healthy wage, £130k a week if the stories are true, so combine the age/fee/wages and he's not that appealing an option.

I think he was short sighted, and shouldn't have signed the contract if he wanted a move.

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

He probably survived because they weren’t trying to murder him tbh mate.

Read his autobiography. They did. I heard the story first hand from someone who was there. The guy is made of granite.

8 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Watching MOTD, can’t understand what Bilic is raging at the ref for. Gibbs hit James in the face, it’s an easy red card.

He also surged towards Mike (the ref) and said "you've killed us". I think Gibbs did that

8 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Defenders will be better off having no arms these days.

As long as it stays consistently stupid I don't mind - but we all know it won't so somebody will end up getting cheated at some point. 

• Upvote 1

Mane kicking it again Sissoko's arm in the CL final was ahead of the curve. The shanked shot by Ayew that hit the United defenders arm yesterday was ridiculous and it's just going to get even more farcical until they decide to change the rule. Also apart from Palace every Premier League side seems to have forgotten how to defend this weekend. 

• Upvote 1

I think the Ayew one yesterday was fair as his miss-hit shot could have gone in (thus the handball was potentially stopping a goal). However the Southampton one just now was just a random ricochet. They were saying in the commentary that it was wrong as well, so I think the ref just fucked up.

I know intent is so hard to call consistently but a penalty is such a significant reward to give a team that its granting should have to pass a fairly high bar to justify it - some poor sod randomly having a ball touch their arm with no intent to handle it whilst not looking doesn't seem worthy of giving the other team a free shot at goal from 12y out.

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, Pupponvesh 2 said:

I think the Ayew one yesterday was fair as his miss-hit shot could have gone in (thus the handball was potentially stopping a goal). 

It was going nowhere near the goal.  You could see the tragectory from the footage.

Havertz at the moment looks like an example where someone’s not been signed to play a role, he’s just been signed because he’s a good player. Frank doesn’t really seem to know what to do with him.

3 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Havertz at the moment looks like an example where someone’s not been signed to play a role, he’s just been signed because he’s a good player. Frank doesn’t really seem to know what to do with him.

Cue Havertz winner

• Upvote 1

Bissouma accident aside, I was pleased with a comprehensive 3-0 over Newcastle away. Two well taken goals and finally Maupay gets his penalty scoring mojo back. TBH I thought Newcastle had made some really shrewd signings over the summer but was really surprised that they offered little attacking threat. Not sure what's going one there at all.

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

I was expecting the Wood one to be ruled out.

I've just watched the highlights.  It was a hilariously blatent foul.  I'm glad it was given for the sheer cheek of just running off celebrating after doing that.  :lol: