Football Thread 2020/2021

There's no reason why they couldn't.

If they declare their intention to switch after they're 21, they can switch again if they never get capped, which isn't really a switch in the first place.

If they originally switch at, say, 17 after being capped by a country, they could switch again aged 20, get capped a few times for the new country before they turn 21, then switch again when they're 24. But that's not much different to what could be done now - playing in friendlies for one country, switching to another but only playing friendlies, and then switching back because you're not getting picked. You'd imagine it'd be a rare occurrence.

On 01/09/2020 at 22:41, ryodi said:

It looks like James Rodriguez is heading to Everton. Is it harsh to describe him as a modern day Karel Poborsky? His career got an unexpected upward trajectory thanks to a wonder goal at an international tournament and while he has done OK at Bayern and Real he hasn't shown enough to justify that enormous price tag.

Sorry to drag this up but he looks ridiculously good so far. He's twice as good as anyone else on the pitch today.

3 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Sorry to drag this up but he looks ridiculously good so far. He's twice as good as anyone else on the pitch today.

I thought this might come back and haunt me. He’s been a class apart in both games so far.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Really good game this. 

Nuno confirms Jota gone and the Dutch defender, Dyson or something, going the other way. 

How good will Jota be for us? Assuming not a player you'd want to leave. 

Could do without another Harry Kewell  moment.

That looks like being quite a bad move for everyone, doesn't it? Wolves lose one of their best players, Jota relegates himself from a star player to backup behind Salah and Mane. I suppose Liverpool get a capable backup, someone to play in the cup games with the Under 12 team they field. 

By the way, Matheus Costa Pereira might be all that stands between West Brom and an early relegation. 

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

How good will Jota be for us? Assuming not a player you'd want to leave. 

Could do without another Harry Kewell  moment.

It’s sort of a complicated answer. Firstly from your point of view, I think he’s an excellent signing, he’ll really fit in with your forward players and his ceiling is very high. 

He’s come on so much in the last three years and has some inconsistencies To iron out, but when they are he’ll be world class. 

He’s a deceptively strong, pacy forward, great ball carrier, strong shot with both feet, you’ll love him. 

However he’s very very patchy in terms of output and that’s hurt him and us. He’s scored three Hattricks in two years for example, but can go months with no assists or goals. This will be smoothed over at Liverpool for sure. 

For us, he’s fourth fifth choice. He’s fitted in with the counter attacking style we’ve employed since promotion but Nuno is attempting to change us to a more possession based game which will suit our other forwards more than Jota in the short term. 

We’ll all really miss him though, he’s been with us from the championship and heavily involved in so many big moments for us over the last few years. 

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

That looks like being quite a bad move for everyone, doesn't it? Wolves lose one of their best players, Jota relegates himself from a star player to backup behind Salah and Mane. I suppose Liverpool get a capable backup, someone to play in the cup games with the Under 12 team they field. 

By the way, Matheus Costa Pereira might be all that stands between West Brom and an early relegation. 

I actually think it’s a good move for all parties. 

12 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

It’s sort of a complicated answer. Firstly from your point of view, I think he’s an excellent signing, he’ll really fit in with your forward players and his ceiling is very high. 

He’s come on so much in the last three years and has some inconsistencies To iron out, but when they are he’ll be world class. 

He’s a deceptively strong, pacy forward, great ball carrier, strong shot with both feet, you’ll love him. 

However he’s very very patchy in terms of output and that’s hurt him and us. He’s scored three Hattricks in two years for example, but can go months with no assists or goals. This will be smoothed over at Liverpool for sure. 

For us, he’s fourth fifth choice. He’s fitted in with the counter attacking style we’ve employed since promotion but Nuno is attempting to change us to a more possession based game which will suit our other forwards more than Jota in the short term. 

We’ll all really miss him though, he’s been with us from the championship and heavily involved in so many big moments for us over the last few years. 

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing him play.

• Upvote 1

The Challenge League, the second Swiss tier starts again today - and FcSchaffhausen will play FcChiasso in an hour. 1000 people allowed in the stadium, which is a bit more than their usual attendance :-)

Of course I'll be off to watch the start into an interesting season - FcSchaffhausen have brought in a few new players who seem to be good - too good in fact for the club, so they might not stay for very long. Having said that, I can't get worse than last season, where every player who could kick a ball in a straight line 7 out of 10 times got picked up by other teams after a few months...

We probably won't win promotion, but hopefully we can play in the upper half of the table for once.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I've changed my mind. The only thing standing between West Brom and relegation is the season being abandoned due to Covid-19. 

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Agree with all of this.

One thing I love about Diogo is his attitude. He's a tough little fucker - he was kicked from pillar to post in the championship but his answer to that was to get up and give a bit back. He's an absolute pest to play against and will run through brick walls for his team. 

It's crazy to say he could be world class yet isn't our first choice any more but bizarrely that's accurate - he's never displacing Raul and isn't as cohesive in the system we play as Podence and arguably even Neto now he's come on so well. 

Jota is a proper footballer with superb individual ability combined with the kind of drive and commitment that will make Liverpool fans love him. Please look after him!!

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Leeds are so fun to watch.

In the first month of the season it's described as 'fun', then as the autumn comes round and the table looks a bit ropey fun gets replaced by 'naive' for managers the media don't like, or for those few they fawn over like Bielsa it'll be called 'sticking to his footballing principles'.

• Upvote 5

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and his style but it will be interesting to see the reverse ferret from journalists who have hailed him as the Greatest Manager in the World (Who Wasn't Alex Ferguson) for the past fifteen years.  It always seemed like they were doing it to show off knowing there was little chance of him coming over here and managing.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, spork said:

And to think this is just the warm up for Man Utd Vs Crystal Palace!

Which will of course be 0-0.

Are all Leeds' games going to finish 4-3?  How did any of the three promoted clubs come up without having any idea how to defend between them?  We're two games into the season, and the three of them have conceded a total of 22 goals.

• Upvote 1