Football Thread 2020/2021

7 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I’ll be interested to see how this plays out, surely UEFA and FIFA can ban anyone they want from their tournaments.

And what ultimately can a Court do. If PSG doesn't turn up, or the Atatürk Olympic Stadium declines to host the final can a Court compel another team or stadium to step in. What if UEFA declines to simply televise the final? There are plenty of ways to hurt the semi finals and final of this year's competition even without banning teams. 

It is actually a pity we don't have any of the German teams still in play who are more likely to just not bother turning up. Devalue the remaining tournament games by making them a laughing stock and ensuring any eventual winner always has an * next to it. 

City cut Peps conference short and Tuchel wasn't allowed to answer questions on it.

This'll be Oles next one 

Screenshot_20210420-145044_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.edad84c51c2e8fd76d0b5ff1f31f1eda.jpg

Also, Henderson has called for a captains meeting too. 

Screenshot_20210420-145225_WhatsApp.jpg

Henderson has called an emergency meeting of club captains tomorrow - reports already praising this move assuming they'll issue some damning statement, which I'd wager unlikely. 

If they do then fair play, it will speak very loudly and be a canny PR move by the players, especially those from the 6 clubs. 

Pep went quite strong in his press conference just now, far more so than Klopp last night. 

Apart from the fact that the players already play a shed load of games already, it's an extra tournament that doesn't allow for anyone to be relegated from it (save the 5 minor invitations per year), and is to be played at the same time as a load of other tournaments, most of which will be undermined by this one, and is purely designed to give 15 of those teams yet more games to hoover up more money for themselves.

It'd be easier if those teams, if they are losing money, to stop spending money backed on loans and... I dunno, spend within their means.  But that will mean they couldn't afford the £200million+ for Ronaldo or Neymar when they inevitably move on and stop them from winning the existing tournaments when their squad turns into local Barça FC instead.

2 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

If fucking AMAZON have the moral high ground over you, you must surely realise you've gone too far.

It doesn't expressly say they wouldn't be interested in it for the right price though...

7 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm finding all this hilarious. 

It's just an extra tournament. What's the big deal? 

The attempt to remove competition from a sport for financial gain.

The stripping of one of the cornerstones of working class culture which has been in place for over a century.

8 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Henderson has called an emergency meeting of club captains tomorrow - reports already praising this move assuming they'll issue some damning statement, which I'd wager unlikely. 

If they do then fair play, it will speak very loudly and be a canny PR move by the players, especially those from the 6 clubs. 

Pep went quite strong in his press conference just now, far more so than Klopp last night. 

While 99.8% of the players at the ESL clubs will carry on playing or the ESL clubs if it happens, there are also no real consquences for them condeming at the moment as long as they don't categorically state they will never kick a ball in that competition.

What are the owners going to do if all the players say its a terrible idea and that it shits on the fans and the legacies of their club and it shouldn't happen? Fine them, sack them?

Especially when PR/organisation wise this appears to be a total shitshow with the Real president shouting at clouds and reports that most managers/players/officials at clubs knew nothing about this until it leaked.  

Just now, Stoppy2000 said:

It doesn't expressly say they wouldn't be interested in it for the right price though...

haha, tweak the format a bit and we're in

I'm now expecting something along the lines of this in the next few days from the 'group'

'We have listened to all the views expressed in the last few days in reaction to the exciting announcement of the Super League. We still strongly believe that fundamental change is needed in how football is governed and run and both domestic and european level but now consider that the best way to do this in the short term is from within the current structures, which we will continue to participate in at this present time. We are delighted to be part of a game that generates such strength of passion beyond all other sports and will continue to do everything in our powers to ensure that the game flourishes under our stewardship for future generations'

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

haha, tweak the format a bit and we're in

That's what I'm expecting, make a ridiculous first offer, pretend to compromise.

12 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

If fucking AMAZON have the moral high ground over you, you must surely realise you've gone too far.

Well they’re pretending to have the moral high ground as it’s good PR for them that they’re “on our side” and also protecting their brand who has licenses for Prem football. It’s no less cynical that the ESL plans.

Still don’t believe this will happen. Bayern are out, PSG says they are. Whether true or not, I think a couple of signed up clubs will cave and then it’s dominoes. All over by Sunday?

1 minute ago, ryodi said:

Maybe London Blues will happen after all in the ESL.

I think the old NFL Europe franchise The London Monarchs is still available, Chelsea should go for that, gotta snazzy logo and everything.

47 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Did he? I thought he just said I'll wait for more information before forming an opinion. 

15 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Still don’t believe this will happen. Bayern are out, PSG says they are. Whether true or not, I think a couple of signed up clubs will cave and then it’s dominoes. All over by Sunday?

Yep they have fucked it up royally in terms of a PR fiasco , and I think this is a very likely outcome.

The problem the dirty dozen face now though is having actually ‘gone over the top’ this time instead of just threatening to do so as in the past, they will lose the leverage the threat carried if they do cave, and so will end up in a weaker position going forward.  Which serves them right IMO, but it may force their hands to double down and stick with it.

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

Did he? I thought he just said I'll wait for more information before forming an opinion. 

"It is not sport if the relationship between the effort and reward doesn't exist." "It is not sport if it doesn't matter if you lose"

It's more than 'I had nothing to do with the decision' that Klopp said last night.

7 minutes ago, Gotters said:

"It is not sport if the relationship between the effort and reward doesn't exist." "It is not sport if it doesn't matter if you lose"

It's more than 'I had nothing to do with the decision' that Klopp said last night.

He was clear that his opinion hadn't changed from the 2019 opinions. Which were pretty unambiguous. He didn't like it.

30 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Hopefully the Sunday after so we get 2 weeks out of it, I'm enjoying the podcasts. I've never thought it would go ahead. 

Sky reporting UEFA are going to come up with a counter to the Super League.

You can see where this is going - the new look Champions League they signed off yesterday was shite. This new counter to the ESL will be even worse. Not quite a closed shop, but would have to be designed to massively benefit the greedy 12 so enough of them do a U-turn.