Football Thread 2020/2021

On 16/09/2020 at 18:35, tbb said:

This Saturday sees our annual "walk to the first away game of the season" in the Northern Premier League. Luckily we've got Mossley so it's only 30 miles. Workington would've been dreadful.

Anyway, we do it for charity. 50% of the money raised goes to the club to help pay for away travel for the season (one club in our league has already had to fold this season due to lack of funds - non-league is a harsh environment), and 50% goes to Andy's Man Club, a charity supporting mental health in men.

If you fancy making a small contribution, the link is below. No obligation, but it'd be nice

https://gf.me/u/ywfin7

#Itsoktotalk

averaging over 5.5km/hour for 8,5 hours? Good luck!

Good job Spurs are making some signings, their schedule next week sees them play Sun/Tues/Thurs/Sun - that is insane and if the people in charge think that is sensible or sustainable they need firing.

Last night for the first time in a while, I felt like I was supporting a Premiership team. We had £51m of full internationals on the bench and Potter didn't decide to play the team of school children as we did when we lost to Villa in a similar cup tie last season. Although admittedly there were a lot of fringe and development players.

I'm not saying that it was any sort of spectacular victory beating a team two divisions lower and with a fraction of our spending power, but not being the underdogs expected to lose is a rare position to be in if you're a Brighton fan.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

No-one wants to see this sort of hoofball.  Why can't they just play football the way the game is supposed to be played?

see now it's even worse, before I thought they just didn't know or weren't capable of playing like that, now you've proven they can do it but choose not to most of the time just to spite anybody watching.

FCSB who are definitely not Steaua Bucharest had 9 players test positive for Covid this week, leaving them with 14 fit players for their Europa League qualifier away to Serbian club FC Backa Topola.  Topola had a man sent off, the game finished 4-4 after 90 minutes (2 injury time goals), 6-6 after extra time and another Topola player sent off and then 5-4 on penalties.

Andy Morrison never seemed like the sharpest tool in the shed but fucking hell.

Manager Andy Morrison says Connah's Quay Nomads "had to turn a blind eye" to players who turned up feeling unwell for their Europa League qualifying defeat by Dinamo Tbilisi.

The game went ahead despite three players having tested positive for Covid-19 beforehand.

The trio and a fourth player, who had not had a positive test at that stage, are in self-isolation.

"Three lads have turned up tonight and they're not well," said Morrison.

"And it's like 'lads, I don't want to hear it. I can't hear it tonight that you're ill... let's just get through it'.

"I've been told that before the game and we've had to turn a blind eye to it and then you would have never noticed that anyone there tonight wasn't feeling great."

Three players had been confirmed as having tested positive for coronavirus before the second-round qualifying game, but Morrison later said it was four.

Like, even if you were dumb/irresponsible enough to make that happen imagine going and talking to the media about it afterwards. Incredible.

23 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Hoever is a strange sale from Liverpool's point of view, unless they view the other young central defenders as better prospects.

Jota would be an interesting signing.

8 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Hoever is a strange sale from Liverpool's point of view, unless they view the other young central defenders as better prospects.

Jota would be an interesting signing.

I'd be absolutely gutted if we sold Jota - I love the guy.  Hoever would suit us so I can understand the link, assuming there's something in it.

4 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I'd be absolutely gutted if we sold Jota - I love the guy.  Hoever would suit us so I can understand the link, assuming there's something in it.

James Pearce is excellent when it comes to Liverpool, if he tweets something it's guaranteed to have come from the club.

Even if the deals don't go through there will definitely have been something discussed.

16 hours ago, Pants McSkill said:

As this is primarily a games forum, it's worth mentioning that Football Manager 2020 is currently free on the Epic Store.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/football-manager-2020/home  

An almost impenetrable complexity to the new player, yet a glorious time suck of unbridled genius to the seasoned veteran. 

And runs on just about anything so well worth getting to noodle with regardless.

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I'd be wary of Hoever, he absolutely sucks. 

Usual question at the start of the season with regards to the leagues dominated by one club: 

Who will be the next team other than PSG to win Ligue 1?  

Who will be the next team other than Juventus to win Serie A? 

Who will be the next team other than Bayern Munich to win the Bundesliga? 

I can't see anything other than PSG walking the French league even though they lost their opening two fixtures, and as Bayern have just beaten Schalke 8-0 in their opening fixture tonight I suspect it's gonna be business as usual in Germany too.  Maybe Inter or someone will give Juve a run for their money this year though. 

6 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I'd be absolutely gutted if we sold Jota - I love the guy.  

Jota.jpg

You can have ours if you want.  Iberian and has lived in the West Midlands for several years now so he'll probably understand everybody's accent and know not to take the Hagley Road at rush hour if he needs to be at training on time.  Obviously he won't play very much because he's too slow for the Premier League, but he'll save a load of replica shirts from being ruined. 

9 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Usual question at the start of the season with regards to the leagues dominated by one club: 

Who will be the next team other than PSG to win Ligue 1?  

Who will be the next team other than Juventus to win Serie A? 

Who will be the next team other than Bayern Munich to win the Bundesliga? 

I can't see anything other than PSG walking the French league even though they lost their opening two fixtures, and as Bayern have just beaten Schalke 8-0 in their opening fixture tonight I suspect it's gonna be business as usual in Germany too.  Maybe Inter or someone will give Juve a run for their money this year though. 

The real quiz is who outside the Old Firm will next win the SPL. 35 years and counting since a club did.

Think Juve’s position is the most precarious position of those you mention.

Inter are getting second season Conte, isn't that when he starts with slagging off everybody at the clubs, owners, staff, players and looks for the payoff ?

It's also being reported that Bale is arriving with an injury Spurs knew about and he is out for a month, hope it doesn't impact his handicap.

I'd say Juventus are the most precarious of the 3 you mentioned.  Napoli and inter are both good sides, who would at least run them close.  

I'd say Bayern second.  Although they are a better team than PSG in my opinion Dortmund would offer more competition than any team in the French league to PSG.

Dutch league could be interesting as well as Ajax although flush have sold pretty much all their assets now.

FIFA have tweaked the international eligibility rules. Previously, if you played a competitive full international, that was it - you were locked in to that country. Friendlies and underage appearances wouldn't bar you from a later switch.

Now, you can switch provided you've played fewer than three games (even if they're in qualifying matches, but not in finals tournaments), they were all before your 21st birthday, and it's been three years since you were last capped. 

The intent seems to be to prevent players from being locked in to a country and thus lost to the international game entirely because they were given a few appearances at a young age - possibly even just to prevent them playing elsewhere - but then fell out of favour. Though it may also have the effect of increasing uncertainty in places like Ireland and NI, where defections, as it were, are a fairly common occasion.

While this new change wouldn't have affected Jack Grealish who never played for the full Ireland side, it'd have potentially kept Declan Rice in green as he'd have had a three year wait until he could line up for England, which wouldn't expire until next year.