Football Thread 2020/2021

With regards to this being good for the whole pyramid, the only thing I can think of is they’ll be paying more for everyone else’s players which they think will trickle down. 

So United pay £80m instead of £40m for Neto or something who then smacks a double against us on the Sunday Premier League game as he stakes his claim for a place in the Supaliga squad. 

Sounds riveting. 

3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I still believe this is a bargaining chip to get more control of the UEFA european cup formats by the big clubs and is simply not intended to happen in this form.

They always want a bigger share of the revenues & formats, once you have a bigger say in the format then you can hollow it out from the inside and shape it into what you want.

Whilst the idea of this isn't great it always comes back to me that for the supposedly elite european competition the CL has an awful lot of shite teams in it, teams I don't want to go watch and pay £80 for the privilege (I know as an Arsenal fan in recent years this hasn't been a Tues/Weds burden). The current compromise is put up with crap before xmas and if you get thru the good games will come later, the new 'swiss' format adds loads of games to reduce the tension so looks deeply flawed.

Essentially the ask is for a format anybody can qualify for on merit featuring all the big 'attractive' 20m followers on Twitter clubs and with less games between Plotz and Bate but it has to be open and inclusive to all. It's an impossible circle to square off and if the choice is pissing off the little teams or the big ones we all know who will be sided with.

Yeah, but then you don’t include the likes of Spurs (5m).

@GottersThere are always the rumblings that a Super League could happen (hell, I remember reading chat about it in Match! magazine back in 1987), but this is the first time there's ever been a structured, formal announcement made. It feels different to the usual noises made about the topic. 

It's like McLaren and Ferrari threatening to walk away from F1 whenever the agreement comes up for debate (this is my limit of F1 knowledge or chat by the way)

It's always mentioned as its the best bargaining chip and theoretically is possible - it's the nuclear tantrum when you don't get your own way.

They've all chipped in a few quid on fees to JP Morgan to come up with the proposal and will see those paid off in multiples with the concessions they get in next couple of days.

15 hours ago, Waggo said:

Yep nobody including fans of the clubs involved wants to see a closed shop in European football.  I can see that it would make shit tons of money for the selected clubs in the Far East and US, but if the cost is destroying the domestic game then it is simply a non starter.

11 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

I'd be embarrassed if my club voted for that. I'd be embarrassed if my club was referred to as a 'big 6' club while languishing in the bottom half of the table for half the season. It's just proof, as if it were needed, that those clubs do not give a shit about their fans. They're not 'special clubs' it doesn't 'mean more'. They are greedy greedy bastards who don't care about history or tradition. 

Hi Chelsea fan here.  Can assure you these posts are correct.

The thing is, I like European competition as was. I'm someone who only gets to go to cups and european matches because frankly season tickets are laughably expensive.

I like seeing different teams, don't get me wrong I've seen Barca and Real and it was great but you know what is also great? MOL Vidi.  If it was the same teams every year, with half of them being the same teams you see in the domestic cup anyway that's going to be really dull.

For avoidance of doubt, the only reason Bayern (and probably Dortmund) aren’t there is because they would need shareholder approval to apply - which means they would have to leak the plan early.

26 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Also, the incredibly cowardly statement that the clubs have released talks about how this will be for the benefit of 'the overall football pyramid'. Obviously it is PR bull,

Incidentally,  this may come as somewhat shocking news, but the PR company involved do a lot of work for the Conservatives and were also behind Boris’ Mayoral campaigns and Theresa May’s leadership campaign. 

So they have previous for pushing ideas that benefit a minority at the expense of the majority. 

4 minutes ago, Plissken said:

For avoidance of doubt, the only reason Bayern (and probably Dortmund) aren’t there is because they would need shareholder approval to apply - which means they would have to leak the plan early.

United and Spurs are both listed, why not the same for them?

4 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

A parallel could be the FIFA Club World Cup which basically all football fans agreed 20 years ago was an irrelevance and have largely ignored ever since. Hopefully the same happens with this.

Except they still play the FIFA Club World Cup (even making it even more formal than it was in the Toyota Cup days) and teams take it semi seriously (LIverpool won it, for instance).  

This needs to be squashed out of existence before it ever happens.

44 minutes ago, Gabe said:

City are involved though? 

Agree that the inclusion of Tottenham is also lol-worthy (not quite as wtf as Arsenal though), but clearly both clubs have chairmen that know how to get a seat at the top table.

Money - Spurs are one of the richest clubs in the world.  

Not that the clubs clearly give a shit about the fans that actually attend games, but nice is nicely timed for them with fans unable to protest at games this week that would at least be broadcast around the world.

The all new Champions League looked like it would kill the League Cup. If these fuckers get to stay in the domestic leagues then thats probably the FA Cup totally hobbled and the Top Flight becomes a joke when Arsenal  don't even need to care about equalising against relegation zone Fulham as their league position in the Prem is irrelevant as they battle to finish 15th in the Super League for an extra £zillion on prize money.

12 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

United and Spurs are both listed, why not the same for them?

As pointed out, the 50+1 rule in the German clubs means no one person could get a majority.

If it goes ahead you almost have to kick the teams from the domestic competitions. If you have a set of permanent teams that are considerably richer than the rest then it’s just not that interesting a league. And if they don’t have domestic football then what do these clubs do? Their position is based on domestic success. If it was based on Europe then you’d have Stade Reims or FC Magdeburg rather than Spurs.

21 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Money - Spurs are one of the richest clubs in the world.  

I don't get your point - this is "supposedly" about the best teams in Europe, which they are most certainly not. The fact they have still got in is because of Levy being Levy and (I guess) their perceived global reach - the same for Arsenal, because it would be a hard argument for either to be included on sporting merit. 

It's the money that Spurs can bring to the table, that's the point.  It's clearly not about the "best teams in Europe", why else do you think Spurs and Arsenal are signatories to it?

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I don't get your point - this is "supposedly" about the best teams in Europe, which they are most certainly not. The fact they have still got in is because of Levy being Levy and (I guess) their perceived global reach - the same for Arsenal, because it would be a hard argument for either to be included on sporting merit. 

In the case of Arsenal you only have to look at their owner.  He owns several clubs across several sports and makes a decent amount of money across all of them, despite only winning two titles ever.  (A Stanley Cup and an MLS title.)

The only positive I can think of is that if these clubs are allowed to stay in the PL, it may make it a more competitive league for the smaller clubs. At the moment, the Champions League is pretty easy to qualify from in the first round (and even easier under the supposed new proposals). Whereas if the top clubs are involved in the new ESL, they’ll have a ton of difficult games that they’re concentrating on all season long, potentially making it easier for a lower club to ‘do a Leicester’. Slim pickings, I grant you.

I’m not so sure that the announcement is just the latest case of positioning for more Champions League money - the simple fact of actually announcing it means that it’s gone way further than previous sabre rattling. I really hope that the Premier League will grow a backbone, even though I think it’s a small possibility and they’ll probably fold like a deck of cards to keep the Big Six, for fear of losing TV money.

1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

The only positive I can think of is that if these clubs are allowed to stay in the PL, it may make it a more competitive league for the smaller clubs. At the moment, the Champions League is pretty easy to qualify from in the first round (and even easier under the supposed new proposals). Whereas if the top clubs are involved in the new ESL, they’ll have a ton of difficult games that they’re concentrating on all season long, potentially making it easier for a lower club to ‘do a Leicester’. Slim pickings, I grant you.

No chance mate, it'll make it a much less competative league than it already is.  These clubs already have a big financial advantage, and now you'd be pumping them with an extra half a billion.

55 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

With regards to this being good for the whole pyramid, the only thing I can think of is they’ll be paying more for everyone else’s players which they think will trickle down. 

So United pay £80m instead of £40m for Neto or something who then smacks a double against us on the Sunday Premier League game as he stakes his claim for a place in the Supaliga squad. 

Sounds riveting. 

If they kick the Big 6 clubs out the domestic Leagues then I can see plenty of rich owners of other clubs losing interest if they don't even get the 'prestige' of their club playing against the big teams let alone trying to displace one of them.

If the big six get to stay in the domestic leagues then plenty of rich owners will lose interest as the big six's power/money/influence will make it near impossible to think about competing with them plus the domestic leagues will be tarnished with whatever mess now defines a succesful season (will there be a UEFA competition to qualify for for everyone else/how does a team get to play in the super league for a season/do the big six give a shit about the domestic league if they can't win it??)

2 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

No, absolutely not.  They'll have two squads - one for the PL and one for the SL.

How can they take legal proceedings?  

Even if they can somehow block UEFA/FIFA from sanctioning them for doing this then they can't just decide their own midweek calender on when to play these games.  Sorry, Man United can't play Everton in the Premier League on Tuesday as we are playing Arsenal in the Super League.

Who referees the games, what happens if a player gets banned for drgus/biting/racism in a UEFA/FIFA sanction competition, if 5 clubs per season are invitied then how can any domestic league and UEFA even plan what the qualification rules are for their own competitions at the start of a season? 

People can get over their opposition to new ideas quite quickly (this just popped up in my feed, it's not an attack on Utd or any of the greedy 6 in particular)

This is Sir Ferguson's view of not the new euro league but the formation of the Premier League