Football Thread 2020/2021

The proposed competition doesn't even sound that good. Or Super. 

At least that project big picture thing had some interesting ideas. This has nothing. What on earth are these clubs thinking? 

This what happens when you let leeches takeover football clubs. 

It’s been well known that Arsenal and Man United owners don’t care about winning. Man United won early on in Glazers reign due to Fergie and not them. Arsenal owners were just happy getting champions league football under Wenger. So not surprising when champions league for both clubs isn’t guaranteed every year that they are looking to this. The Italian and Spanish clubs have been jealous of the TV money that English clubs receive. I think eventually Bayern will follow suit, but they won’t leave the Bundesliga for this. But they definitely would leave the champions league, if they are given the option. 

Boot them out of all domestic competitions and let them go. The Premiership will be much more entertaining and competitive without them. 

Besides Arsenal. They can stay if they want. They still won't be winning the league.

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

The agent thing would most likely be legally unenforceable. But blacklisting any player who plays in an unsanctioned league? Might be more doable, if not for life. 

If a player is under contract to play for Man Utd, as an example, and they join the new league how can you blacklist them? What choice does the player have? No pay from Utd / can’t leave if they refuse to play, blacklisted if they do. Massive can of worms legally if they are black listed. 

3 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

The agent thing would most likely be legally unenforceable. But blacklisting any player who plays in an unsanctioned league? Might be more doable, if not for life. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if FIFA and UEFA said players participating in the SL were barred from playing international football at the world cup and the euros.

1 hour ago, bear said:

The proposed competition doesn't even sound that good. Or Super. 

At least that project big picture thing had some interesting ideas. This has nothing. What on earth are these clubs thinking? 

That's the odd thing, it's literally just the Champions League but with 100% guaranteed Arsenal. Not exactly an irresistible prospect.

I suppose it comes down to not only how UEFA react, but also the TV companies. Are Sky, Amazon etc going to go bid crazy for this? At that stage fans can make the difference by ignoring/boycotting the broadcasts but it's hard to believe that people will do this..

7 minutes ago, Jammy said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if FIFA and UEFA said players participating in the SL were barred from playing international football at the world cup and the euros.

I think they've already said this. 

Looks like they did, then withdrew it.

Anyhoo, quick, interesting point and thread.

I don't see this going ahead. I think one side will blink. But then again i said Covid wasn't any worse than the flu last february so what do I know.

I know what I want to happen, so it probably won't. I want these clubs to go, leave the premier League, the UCL, FA Cup. Their players to be banned from international competition. I want the whole thing to be a massive failure, the financiers to lose massive amounts of money and when the club's stagger back for them to be forced to play through multiple seasons in the lower leagues.

So what will likely happen is the complete opposite of that, unfortunately.

So angry about this and it comes to something when you hope the crooks at UEFA & Fifa are the saviours.

I'm not even sure what a 'good' outcome from this would even be now, as it has left such a stain on everything I don't even want those clubs dirtying up the league. 

Real and Barcelona are for these purposes fan controlled and they’ve jumped in both feet first, and I reckon Bayern will be all over this eventually. City and PSG are only holding out or being cautious as they’ve got owners who are somehow on the board at UEFA or have got a grubby World Cup to keep on the rails. 

I really don’t mind people dragging Arsenal about this as our inclusion is ridiculous, but as a favour to me can we just pepper Spurs in there a bit too? I’m not discounting that League Cup triumph from about 15 years ago, but we are at least the holders of a trophy for a few more weeks. That’s got to count for something.

6 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Real and Barcelona are for these purposes fan controlled and they’ve jumped in both feet first, and I reckon Bayern will be all over this eventually. City and PSG are only holding out or being cautious as they’ve got owners who are somehow on the board at UEFA or have got a grubby World Cup to keep on the rails. 

I really don’t mind people dragging Arsenal about this as our inclusion is ridiculous, but as a favour to me can we just pepper Spurs in there a bit too? I’m not discounting that League Cup triumph from about 15 years ago, but we are at least the holders of a trophy for a few more weeks. That’s got to count for something.

PSG, sure. They’d be in in seconds if it wasn’t for the Qatar money - French football is already financially fucked.
City, however, are in with both feet - any talk of reluctance is self-serving PR.

Like the idea of Arsenal being one of the European elite.

1 minute ago, Art Vandelay said:

Real and Barcelona are for these purposes fan controlled and they’ve jumped in both feet first, and I reckon Bayern will be all over this eventually. City and PSG are only holding out because they’ve got owners who are somehow on the board at UEFA or have got a grubby World Cup to keep on the rails. 

City are involved though? 

Agree that the inclusion of Tottenham is also lol-worthy (not quite as wtf as Arsenal though), but clearly both clubs have chairmen that know how to get a seat at the top table.

3 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Do we think there’s any hope that the premier league and FA will actually remove these clubs from their competitions?

Limited. What product does that leave them to sell for large amounts of money to broadcasters?

2 minutes ago, footle said:

Limited. What product does that leave them to sell for large amounts of money to broadcasters?

That’s my fear. I’m pretty sad about this. I can’t support it at all which means dumping my season ticket and anything on TV. 

This is what happens when club’s customer base have no connection to the club’s community. Just a matter of time. 

How long will it be until the big north london derby is played in Singapore?

Also, the incredibly cowardly statement that the clubs have released talks about how this will be for the benefit of 'the overall football pyramid'. Obviously it is PR bull, but how on earth to they reckon that, when it will destroy domestic leagues (I don't see Sky wanting to pay billions in the next TV deal to see a top of the table clash of West Ham vs Wolves, though I'd watch it!) 

I suppose it might mean that Championship clubs wouldn't bankrupt themselves trying to get to the PL though, because it wouldn't be much of a golden ticket any more.

I wonder how the players are feeling about all of this at the moment. It's not something they've any control over and loads of people are going to hate them regardless, just by association. That must feel pretty rubbish. 

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

Also, the incredibly cowardly statement that the clubs have released talks about how this will be for the benefit of 'the overall football pyramid'. Obviously it is PR bull, but how on earth to they reckon that, when it will destroy domestic leagues (I don't see Sky wanting to pay billions in the next TV deal to see a top of the table clash of West Ham vs Wolves, though I'd watch it!) 

I suppose it might mean that Championship clubs wouldn't bankrupt themselves trying to get to the PL though, because it wouldn't be much of a golden ticket any more.

Championship is already fucked by Brexit.

Just now, Timmo said:

I just don't see this happening at all. The backlash is far too violent.

I doubt the chairmen care about that, given the supposed riches available. Hell, if they cared about anything other than money then this plan would never have got off the ground in the first place. 

I still believe this is a bargaining chip to get more control of the UEFA european cup formats by the big clubs and is simply not intended to happen in this form.

They always want a bigger share of the revenues & formats, once you have a bigger say in the format then you can hollow it out from the inside and shape it into what you want.

Whilst the idea of this isn't great it always comes back to me that for the supposedly elite european competition the CL has an awful lot of shite teams in it, teams I don't want to go watch and pay £80 for the privilege (I know as an Arsenal fan in recent years this hasn't been a Tues/Weds burden). The current compromise is put up with crap before xmas and if you get thru the good games will come later, the new 'swiss' format adds loads of games to reduce the tension so looks deeply flawed.

Essentially the ask is for a format anybody can qualify for on merit featuring all the big 'attractive' 20m followers on Twitter clubs and with less games between Plotz and Bate but it has to be open and inclusive to all. It's an impossible circle to square off and if the choice is pissing off the little teams or the big ones we all know who will be sided with.