Football Thread 2020/2021

26 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Here's the thing - I don't disagree with any of this and you may well be right. But it's still fair to question whether he still has the hunger to perform at a PL club after being content to potentially sit out his contract for another 2 years.

His hunger to perform at a PL club may now have increased. Not only to show the world, but as one final fuck you to Real Madrid.

Really hope he joins Spurs and smashes it. :omg:

In addition to all of the above, the guy's still only 31. Given he's had limited game time, the guy will be fit as a fiddle by the time his contract is up in a couple of years, and he'll have his choice of clubs to go to in order to enjoy his football for another 2 or 3 years.

I don't think rinsing Real Madrid has any indication on how much he loves the game - you only have to look to his record with Wales to see he's still passionate about the game.

He always puts one hell of a shift in for Wales, and it's easy to see how much he relishes being their talisman. Of course it's club v country, of course it's easier when it's only a couple of games every two months.

But give half of that for Spurs, and that's one hell of a player.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

so if he had a driving sporting ambition - i.e. Ronaldo wanting to be the best wherever he goes and break records - then he would surely sacrifice something (in this case money) to achieve it.

Don't disagree too much with what you are saying, but I've snipped this bit to wonder what else he has left to achieve.  He's won cups, titles and the Champions League. He gone abroad and been a huge success, which is traditionally something difficult for British players.  Captained his country to its its first international tournament in half a century and then took them far beyond expectations.  I'm not sure what is actually left for him to do.  Apart from being one of the very few players that I can think of that can give the President of Real Madrid a big "fuck you".

He could do a Ronaldo and try to win more trophies but I guess it is like the millionaires / billionaires thing.  Most people would make £50m and retire to a life of luxury.  A few people want to turn that million into a billion and the billion into ten billion.  And they'll do 80-100 hours a week to do it.  And apparently they are the ones we're supposed to admire and not those who said "hey, I've got enough and I'm going to enjoy it".

3 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Don't disagree too much with what you are saying, but I've snipped this bit to wonder what else he has left to achieve.  He's won cups, titles and the Champions League. He gone abroad and been a huge success, which is traditionally something difficult for British players.  Captained his country to its its first international tournament in half a century and then took them far beyond expectations.  I'm not sure what is actually left for him to do.  Apart from being one of the very few players that I can think of that can give the President of Real Madrid a big "fuck you".

He could do a Ronaldo and try to win more trophies but I guess it is like the millionaires / billionaires thing.  Most people would make £50m and retire to a life of luxury.  A few people want to turn that million into a billion and the billion into ten billion.  And they'll do 80-100 hours a week to do it.  And apparently they are the ones we're supposed to admire and not those who said "hey, I've got enough and I'm going to enjoy it".

Completely agree with all of that and I certainly wouldn't hold it against him if he decided to sit out his contract and then go and play for a pub team at the end of it.

I guess all he realistically has it to win titles/cups in a different country, which I sure a lot of players aren't fussed about. I guess so long as he doesn't look back at his career with regret then good luck to him.

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

Why wouldn’t he stay put and secure his families economic future?

I always find this sort of comment weird. He's been on big wages at Real for quite some time - if his family's economic future isn't secured now, it never will be.

I was thinking in the realms of the lifestyle he’s become accustomed to. I’m sure he’s already got a fat bank account but if the money going into is going to drop significantly when his career ends he’s going to want to make as much as possible while times are good.

24 minutes ago, Steely said:

His hunger to perform at a PL club may now have increased. Not only to show the world, but as one final fuck you to Real Madrid.

Really hope he joins Spurs and smashes it. :omg:

Squad number three is available after Danny Rose wasn’t given one this season. I wonder if Bale potentially rejoining is the reason why.

33 minutes ago, Plissken said:

If he can help Spurs finally win a major trophy, that will be an achievement as big as all of them.

I think it's a bit unfair to speculate that Bale is someone who plays professional football but doesn't actually like the game. By the way, David Batty is the best example of this. He had so little interest in the game that when he missed the decisive penalty in the shoot out against Argentina, one former player (I can't remember where I heard this) recalls going into the changing room after the game, and there was David Beckham in tears, completely inconsolable, and Batty sitting there already showered and changed, waiting to go home. 

Anyway, I don't think Bale is one of those guys. I used to work with a mate of his and he reckoned he loved the game. This was before the Real Madrid move, though. 

That miniscule bit of insight aside, in my opinion not much of what has gone on in the last few years is his fault. He started picking up injuries (the insertion of quotation marks around this word is classic Real Madrid propaganda) and Real seem to regret giving him his massive last contract. Since then they have been publicly bad-mouthing him, in some kind of weird campaign to get him to leave, or to save face, or whatever it is they are trying to do. He'd have to be a robot not to react to that, and his reaction seems to have been to hit Real right in the wallet by telling them he was willing to sit out his contract and collect his £600,000 a week if they won't pick him. I kind of understand that. 

It's telling that this sudden willingness to move comes hot on the heels of two poor performances for Wales. I think he's realised that he can't sit at home, play a bit of golf, and rock up and play international football. He's realised his situation is damaging to Wales, so he's keener to find a solution that involves him playing. 

The big question though is whether he's still physically up to it. His game has always been based around his physical attributes - his pace and power. If he's lost that, or if he spends half the season on the treatment table, then Spurs will lose out. I hope he tears it up, personally. 

Zidane also seems like one of those managers that if he doesn’t fancy you for whatever reason then you’re dead to him. I think Bale can feel hard done by (from a professional standpoint definitely not financially) in that situation. 

The money being touted in today’s game is small fry for a player of Bale’s calibre. They can easily negotiate dressing room issues caused by wages by offsetting a lot of it in a lump signing on fee. In the end if it flops it’s cost them less than the long list of failed Kane back ups over the years. He’s a world class player who knows the league, if he doesn’t pick up too many injuries then could be the difference between Spurs being in Europe next season or not.

3 hours ago, Pants McSkill said:

He always puts one hell of a shift in for Wales, and it's easy to see how much he relishes being their talisman. Of course it's club v country, of course it's easier when it's only a couple of games every two months.

But give half of that for Spurs, and that's one hell of a player.

So almost the exact reverse of Ryan Giggs then?

This Saturday sees our annual "walk to the first away game of the season" in the Northern Premier League. Luckily we've got Mossley so it's only 30 miles. Workington would've been dreadful.

Anyway, we do it for charity. 50% of the money raised goes to the club to help pay for away travel for the season (one club in our league has already had to fold this season due to lack of funds - non-league is a harsh environment), and 50% goes to Andy's Man Club, a charity supporting mental health in men.

If you fancy making a small contribution, the link is below. No obligation, but it'd be nice

https://gf.me/u/ywfin7

#Itsoktotalk

looks like we'll get an answer to yesterdays debate about can Bale be arsed to play anymore (football that is, not golf) as Ornstein and others reporting its almost done to be announced tomorrow.

@Stoppy2000 will be delighted to hear that the Bales won't be needing the local food bank and should be good for mansions as Real & Spurs ensure he still gets his £600k a week, so Real are basically saying its worth £300k a week for us to be rid of him.

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

looks like we'll get an answer to yesterdays debate about can Bale be arsed to play anymore (football that is, not golf) as Ornstein and others reporting its almost done to be announced tomorrow.

@Stoppy2000 will be delighted to hear that the Bales won't be needing the local food bank and should be good for mansions as Real & Spurs ensure he still gets his £600k a week, so Real are basically saying its worth £300k a week for us to be rid of him.

I sure am delighted. As I'm sure you are delighted that he has decided to play football again despite the fact that he hates the game and has never got a moments pleasure from it. 

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Boro are one of the clubs allowing 1000 fans in.

Their manager, Neil Warnock, has tested positive for Covid.

Obviously, all the best to him.

But, surely their game should be off. If classes and year groups are isolating for a fortnight if a teacher or kid tests positive then how can the team be allowed to play against another team in a stadium with fans.

And it states Warnock became unwell while sitting in the Directors box at the game this week so he might have infected some of the support staff, etc  then let alone while training with the team and he must have  picked it up from someone/somewhere.

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

I see that a new TV deal has been made for China with Tencent Sports. Games to be streamed on the Epic Store, perhaps? Might get them some more users :P

They’ll set up their own turn styles outside every premier league stadium charging for entry. 

Burnley let six players leave, sign one replacement goalkeeper, have 17 fit outfielders including the kids, start the season with the only two fit centre backs (the third choice and a 22 year old) and lose a winger for several months  in the opening 10 minutes.

The Burnley board are going to have a torch bearing mob outside their houses soon. 

5 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

Obviously, all the best to him.

But, surely their game should be off. If classes and year groups are isolating for a fortnight if a teacher or kid tests positive then how can the team be allowed to play against another team in a stadium with fans.

You'd hope that the club has tested everybody who will be on the pitch or the game should be off. Schools cannot guarantee everybody gets tested but a football club should have the means to do so.  

3 hours ago, Plissken said:

Burnley let six players leave, sign one replacement goalkeeper, have 17 fit outfielders including the kids, start the season with the only two fit centre backs (the third choice and a 22 year old) and lose a winger for several months  in the opening 10 minutes.

The Burnley board are going to have a torch bearing mob outside their houses soon. 

Isn't that just how they turn up for home games? :ph34r: