Football Thread 2020/2021

I guess the six teams have been picked as they have the biggest appeal globally. If you're trying to make money do you focus your attention on the few hundred thousand living near the ground or the billions in the markets around the world sat watching it on TV? It was inevitable something like this would end up happening as the game was slowly divorced from the community one step at a time. If people think fans won't put up with it they're in for a shock – they don't give a shit about Barry the 70 year old season ticket holder. Look at the amount of people that will pay money to watch the NFL in London, or a FIFA tournament – there's enough people for whom geographical ties to a club don't mean anything as it's just entertainment now. Someone will pay for the hollow razzle dazzle if you don't turn up, and that's who they're after. Just enough people to fill the side of the stadium the cameras point at. If you support a big club in the Premier League now they don't care about your input at all. You could go every week or be some bloke in Thailand who's never been to a game in his life, their money is as good as yours.

Just now, Art Vandelay said:

I guess the six teams have been picked as they have the biggest appeal globally. If you're trying to make money do you focus your attention on the few hundred thousand living near the ground or the billions in the markets around the world sat watching it on TV? It was inevitable something like this would end up happening as the game was slowly divorced from the community one step at a time. If people think fans won't put up with it they're in for a shock – they don't give a shit about Barry the 70 year old season ticket holder. Look at the amount of people that will pay money to watch the NFL in London, or a FIFA tournament – there's enough people for whom geographical ties to a club don't mean anything as it's just entertainment now. Someone will pay for the hollow razzle dazzle if you don't turn up, and that's who they're after. Just enough people to fill the side of the stadium the cameras point at. If you support a big club in the Premier League now they don't care about your input at all. You could go every week or be some bloke in Thailand who's never been to a game in his life, their money is as good as yours.

I'm guesing with Spurs it's that Levy knows where some bodies are buried?

One thing that is crystal clear is the so called big 6 learnt absolutely sweet FA from the ‘Big Picture’ shambles, and have managed to lurch into yet another PR fiasco!!!!!

1 minute ago, Plissken said:

PSG aren’t officially involved because they don’t want to jeopardise the World Cup.

Sound about right. 
Man City “reluctant”. Ha. Ha. Ha.

53 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Someone will pay for the hollow razzle dazzle if you don't turn up, and that's who they're after.

The price of football in the UK is already an example of this.

There's always a deeper pocket.

I'd be embarrassed if my club voted for that. I'd be embarrassed if my club was referred to as a 'big 6' club while languishing in the bottom half of the table for half the season. It's just proof, as if it were needed, that those clubs do not give a shit about their fans. They're not 'special clubs' it doesn't 'mean more'. They are greedy greedy bastards who don't care about history or tradition. 

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

This is the gamble.   The whole Swiss Model thing of the Champions League was condemned by a lot of people who said it would be crap because it removes all jeopardy from the group stages at the competition and who wants to see that?   Plenty of people want to see their superclub winning against somebody who is there to make the numbers up, and the more exposure those clubs get the more fans they have and the more it snowballs. Just look at how many people paid $50 this weekend to watch their favourite YouTuber beat up a retired wrestler, they went away happy because the guy they expected to win won.   People are trying to figure out how to bottle that feeling and sell it back to us in all aspects of life, and this might be one of the things football is considering. 

There are people on here so say they only support Liverpool because they were always on TV, and that's what clubs like Liverpool (and Man Utd/Chelsea etc) rely on, the new fans coming into the game in droves supporting one of a limited number of clubs, those clubs then deciding that football is only popular because of them and therefore they should get more of the pie.   If this happened in the 90s then Newcastle and Blackburn would be in on it, in the 80s it would have been Everton, Villa and Ipswich.  I'm sure clubs who feel vulnerable that their time at the top could be challenged because they don't have a brand like Liverpool or Manchester United or owners who are as rich as Abramovich or Abu Dhabi behind them.  I don't think there will be a breakaway league but this is definitely a power play to get more concessions from UEFA to go with their Swiss Model and extra lives for a chosen few. 

20 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

This is the gamble.   The whole Swiss Model thing of the Champions League was condemned by a lot of people who said it would be crap because it removes all jeopardy from the group stages at the competition and who wants to see that?   Plenty of people want to see their superclub winning against somebody who is there to make the numbers up, and the more exposure those clubs get the more fans they have and the more it snowballs. Just look at how many people paid $50 this weekend to watch their favourite YouTuber beat up a retired wrestler, they went away happy because the guy they expected to win won.   People are trying to figure out how to bottle that feeling and sell it back to us in all aspects of life, and this might be one of the things football is considering. 

There are people on here so say they only support Liverpool because they were always on TV, and that's what clubs like Liverpool (and Man Utd/Chelsea etc) rely on, the new fans coming into the game in droves supporting one of a limited number of clubs, those clubs then deciding that football is only popular because of them and therefore they should get more of the pie.   If this happened in the 90s then Newcastle and Blackburn would be in on it, in the 80s it would have been Everton, Villa and Ipswich.  I'm sure clubs who feel vulnerable that their time at the top could be challenged because they don't have a brand like Liverpool or Manchester United or owners who are as rich as Abramovich or Abu Dhabi behind them.  I don't think there will be a breakaway league but this is definitely a power play to get more concessions from UEFA to go with their Swiss Model and extra lives for a chosen few. 

I think these are all good points. It’s sad as I know it’s fun to laugh at Man Utd or Arsenal or Liverpool when they were shit, but no-one wanted to listen about how dreadful the owners were. These plans should come as no surprise, and that Kroenke is at the heart of it really is typical of the approach he’s had since day one. He’s thought nothing of wrecking a club, I don’t think he’d lose sleep over destroying the football league too.

I don’t think these announcements are brinksmanship this time. These owners have been scheming up a way of cutting out the middleman for years and I reckon with the pandemic it’s now or never. With the money on offer I don’t see a downside for people who are only in it to see returns of investment. When you don’t care about heritage or the integrity of sport what can UEFA offer that JP Morgan aren’t? 

44 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I'm sure clubs who feel vulnerable that their time at the top could be challenged because they don't have a brand like Liverpool or Manchester United or owners who are as rich as Abramovich or Abu Dhabi behind them.  I don't think there will be a breakaway league but this is definitely a power play to get more concessions from UEFA to go with their Swiss Model and extra lives for a chosen few. 

I’m sure this is true. There’s a reason it’s the giant Italian, Spanish and English clubs all overloaded with debt and billionaires playthings going for it.

UEFA et al just need to say that they will ban the players associated with an agent from playing in any of the leagues or world competitions.

Agents run things now, if one of Mina Raiola's players joins the Super League, ALL of his players are excluded, instantly, all the players on their books lose value and the ability to play, and it's a life time ban at that.

You want to play for your country one day? Dont joina SL club, if you do, that's it, you can only ever ply in the SL, you're ecluded from everything, forever.

It's fucking harsh, but once the supply of players dries up, those teams, and that league, are fucked and in the mud.

I'm sure there are holes in my idea, but heck, it's getting late and I'm pissed off about it all.

I think the European Super League sounds great. Imagine a league with genuine competition between clubs! Supporting a big team currently means the vast majority of league games involves trying to negotiate a parked bus. Fuck tradition, this is about the best form of entertainment! 

I’m of the opinion that the 6 clubs should be docked 40 points and thrown out of any National cup competitions they still remain in. 

Just an added bonus that Leicester would be ideally placed to win the double. 

41 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

I'm sure there are holes in my idea

The agent thing would most likely be legally unenforceable. But blacklisting any player who plays in an unsanctioned league? Might be more doable, if not for life. 

UEFA need to make good on their threat. If they've any sense the Premier League and FA will discipline the clubs. The whole premise relies on everyone else sucking it up.

This risks being politicised too. 

Apropos of nothing: Super League? Fucking Arsenal