Football Thread 2020/2021

Jose may be losing relevancy as an elite trophy winning coach as his tactical approach is a thing of the past, he hasn't lost the ability to mask a conversation about bad results or team setup with post match distractions though. He's just had to up the ante a bit for it to still work. 

20 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Jose may be losing relevancy as an elite trophy winning coach as his tactical approach is a thing of the past....

I don't necessarily agree with this, but I do think he has lost the drive and charisma to pull his troops together and die for a shared cause.

If football was about pulling a group of strangers together and preparing them for a one-off match, I'd still back him over any other coach not to lose. Unfortunately for him there's a lot more to it than that, and what once held a squad in his thrall now smacks of rambling paranoia.

I always thought he'd probably make a fine international manager, but it'd have to be a country where there's not players who already hate him.

Largely one off matches or short tournaments and if you piss someone off like that Dele Ali bloke who used to play for Spurs you can simply stop picking him to get him out of the dressing room.

It was a pretty weird quote by Ole, to be fair. Probably even more bizarre in itself than Mourinho's response.  I think he got caught up on Son's name and spun it out into a very strange and wrong metaphor.  It wouldn't have been out of place coming out of Nigel Pearson's mouth, for Christ's sake.

He doesn't seem the type to actually starve his children for being soft, but I guess it's the quiet ones you need to watch out for.

I remember reading a thing where John Terry said he'd be sat at home and get a message from Mourinho asking if he's watching some shite on the telly, they'd get a back and forth going and then Jose would just stop responding. Ghosting your own club captain to get him real thirsty and make sure he'll commit his crimes against football for you is sociopathic. Saying that, on this and every other occasion, Solskjaer has simply the absolute worst patter in world football. Just a bizarre man.

12 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Solskjaer has simply the absolute worst patter in world football. Just a bizarre man.

He always strikes me as in a permanent state that is best compared to David Brent/Michael Scott when Chris Finch/Todd Packham are present.

47 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Solskjaer has simply the absolute worst patter in world football. Just a bizarre man.

34 minutes ago, Gotters said:

He always strikes me as in a permanent state that is best compared to David Brent/Michael Scott when Chris Finch/Todd Packham are present.

Hows the Arteta revolution working out for you? 

15 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Hows the Arteta revolution working out for you? 

I think we are in the LVG phase of replacing our club legend manager, so if we follow those parallels at Utd I'm expecting Paul Merson or Emmanuel Frimpong to get the job in a year or so.

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

I think we are in the LVG phase of replacing our club legend manager

Perhaps. Problem is that you got the same problem as Man United....financing. Wenger was your best manager and he did a great job with the little backing he got. Wenger is one of the best PL managers ever. Arteta is not as good and without financial backing you’re just going to be a mid table club....forever. At least with Wenger you had top 4, but look at you now. You sacked the best manager you ever had, you did this to yourselves.

Ole is absolutely, 100% THE funniest manager in the league, proper Ole Gunnar Trolskjaer at the minute.
He knows he's not geting sacked till at least Christmas ( I don't want him sacked, but you know how we roll, 2nd and a Europa and off you go :bye: ) and he's siting 2nd in the league, doing fairly well compared to last year, even though most of the football has been a bit shit.

With any luck ( miracle? ) He will get backed in the summer, and then the team can start playing full matches like the second half yesteray, rather than Ole having to bung the Ref £20 to disallow a goal, making sure the other team score , and setting UNited up for the usual come back from behind results.

3 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Perhaps. Problem is that you got the same problem as Man United....financing. Wenger was your best manager and he did a great job with the little backing he got. Wenger is one of the best PL managers ever. Arteta is not as good and without financial backing you’re just going to be a mid table club....forever. At least with Wenger you had top 4, but look at you now. You sacked the best manager you ever had, you did this to yourselves.

Wenger will forever be one of the greatest managers of all time, his only real mistake was not noticing his own declining abilities and the clubs position in the game, this forced the owners hands into sacking him, at that level you can't go on like Dario Gradi at Crewe forever (I'm not referring to any of the unpleasant stuff coming to light there) - he could have gone on his own terms at several points before then but was so wrapped up in being the only person who could save the club that he hung on far too long.

Not sure sacking Wenger has put us where we are now, he was heading this way on his own. Sacking him wasn't wrong, its the appointments and signings after that have been the issue, another strong parallel with Utd.

Wenger didn't hang on for completely selfless reasons, but he was well aware of the type of people ready to waltz in and trouser all that lovely money we had saved up. The moment he left it was a free-for-all. Over the last couple of years we've left ourselves potless by buying a load of dross, giving stupid contracts, paying for agent's retirements and letting everyone leave for nothing. Not to say Wenger was faultless, but it's so much worse now. Arsenal and Man Utd are similar in that they have hopeless owners, there's no plan and they're burning through money, but Utd have the commercial income to brute force a level of success. Arsenal's is pitiful by comparison so the wasted expenditure is even more painful.

Saying all of that, we should be doing better than we are. Wenger got his banter academicals into Europe with people like Denilson and Squillaci playing 50 games a season. This team is much better than that. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56705816

The Premier League, EFL, Premiership Rugby and British Horseracing have adjusted their schedules "as a mark of respect" to avoid clashing with Saturday's funeral of Prince Philip.

In the Premier League, Wolverhampton Wanderers' home game against Sheffield United, which had been scheduled to kick off at 15:00, will be moved to 20:15.

The 32 fixtures set for 15:00 in the Championship, League One and League Two will take place at either 12:30 or 17:30.

Clubs are able to determine which time suits them, with Sunday also a possible option.

The National League has confirmed its 15:00 kick-offs are moving to 12:30.

However, the FA Cup semi-final between Chelsea and Manchester City at Wembley will remain at 17:30.

The Women's FA Cup Fourth Round fixture between Manchester City Women and Aston Villa Women will be brought forward to 12:00.

At least with no fans at the games they aren't being messed around by these changes. 

22 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Did var just check offside against the wrong player there? He looked a mile onside. 

VAR apparently couldn't get an angle on the offside. I mean that is possibly a new low for this shitty ruination of football. 

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

I think we are in the LVG phase of replacing our club legend manager, so if we follow those parallels at Utd I'm expecting Paul Merson or Emmanuel Frimpong to get the job in a year or so.

Before the triumphant return of Eboue who finally brings Champions League glory to the Emirates

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

He's not that funny either.

Didn’t Arteta convince Willian to sign for you by talking about his plans to win the Champions League within 3 seasons? That’s pretty funny!

28 minutes ago, spork said:

Didn’t Arteta convince Willian to sign for you by talking about his plans to win the Champions League within 3 seasons? That’s pretty funny!

I doubt that ever actually happened. I think we just wrote down a big figure with a smilie face and a question mark.

14 hours ago, Stevie said:

Problem is that you got the same problem as Man United....financing.

:lol::lol:yeah, United have literally no money and Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole could only afford penny sweets when they were in charge! :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

:lol::lol:yeah, United have literally no money and Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole could only afford penny sweets when they were in charge! :rolleyes:

I love the :lol::lol: and the :rolleyes: It shows you are person who knows what hes talking about. 

On 12/04/2021 at 18:06, Gotters said:

Wenger will forever be one of the greatest managers of all time, his only real mistake was not noticing his own declining abilities 

Wenger with Chelsea or City money could easily challenge for the title.