Football Thread 2020/2021

It's a gamble, no doubt, given his indifferent form and injury problems and he'd be on obscene money, which could harm the dressing room. It could be a bit of a vanity thing for Levy, sure as he likes to be seen to do a good deal.

I wonder if he'd be allowed to roam free under Jose, too? The guy's still talented of course, but you do have to wonder about his attitude now as well. He's had a mixed couple of years where he's probably not been as focused/professional as he should be (weren't there stories about him lacking effort in training?) and whilst a change of scenery may help with that, I'd question if his desire is still there. He was, after all, prepared to sit out the remainder of his contract even though he'd not play.

Truth is hard to know with this one as Bale's people claim he's a model pro, always willing to play and wanted to leave for China before Real pulled the deal. 

Real claim he's lazy, doesn't train, always has niggling 'injuries', prefers golf, doesn't speak the language and doesn't mix with players.

Not sure I'd touch him with a barge pole but can see why they may see it as a £12-15m punt (half his wages til end of season) worth taking, there is upside if goes well, and downside isn't catastrophic unless he damages the whole squad by his presence and envy of the wages.

Real's claims about him have all been designed to push him out and paint him in a bad light.  He's been in Spain for six years, he absolutely speaks the language.  He might not want to go on TV and be interviewed in Spanish, but the idea that he can't converse every day is bollocks.  As a counter example, Sergio Aguero doesn't give interviews in English and he's been here half a decade.

1 minute ago, Plissken said:

Real's claims about him have all been designed to push him out and paint him in a bad light. 

of course, and his agent always claims the total opposite - I've never read much that is impartial about the situation hence not knowing which version is closer to reality.

What is absolutely clear is that he likes living in Spain.  He's trousering £20m a year to train for a few hours, then either play golf or go home to his loving family.  It's not his fault Real pay him stupid money and then backed out of selling him.

Remember that he was almost a washup - considered to be potentially a journeyman Premier League left back at best.  Suddenly it all clicks into place and he gets to be at the very top of the game, in terms of salary, club and trophies.  He's won Real a couple of La Ligas and a Champions League.  He's a national hero for leading his country to an international tournament and then a legend for leading them deep into it.  From a sort of "struggle" - if you can call it that - he's got everything he wants, everything he needs.  He's not driven like Ronaldo, but then Ronaldo's "drive to succeed" to one person is anothers monomania. 

Bale is in a situation where he recognises that he's being treated as a commodity and decided to play the game.

yeah, wasn't it 19 games at Spurs under 'arry until Bale was on a winning side ?

When he was good, for Spurs in particular, he was an amazing player to see in full flight, not sure how much of that chap is left.

Considering that he hasn’t been used for two years, probably a little more than most of his type of player.

Redknapp was all for selling him too.

Going to paste this from elsewhere which says much as I did.

Bale isn't going to leave Real Madrid because zidane is mean to him. He only has to see him for four hours a day, and apparently there isn't much direct communication. He then leaves training, and goes back to his house that he loves, and hangs out with his family, who he is also probably quite fond of, plays a bit of golf, and basks in his incredible wealth, and possibly meditates on how well things have gone. He's got two more years on his amazing contract, and if Real Madrid don't want to use him, he likely doesn't lose too much sleep over that. Meanwhile Real Madrid officials are sitting in their office trying to come up with new ways to push him out but making the terrible mistake of assuming he's like Carlos Tevez, or Luis Suarez, or Diego Simeone, and is likely to explode at any sleight, which they construe as an insult to their manhood. Bale likely doesn't notice the half of what they do. if you insult his balls, he'll likely chuckle and say he has been working on his putting but he's not quite there yet. Then if they point out they mean his testicles, he would likely admit they probably weren't his most glamorous part, but that's true of everyone, and they've given him three lovely children, so He doesn't really have any complaints. And then he goes home thinking that was a bit weird, and he couldn't spot the candid camera anywhere.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Truth is hard to know with this one as Bale's people claim he's a model pro, always willing to play and wanted to leave for China before Real pulled the deal. 

Real claim he's lazy, doesn't train, always has niggling 'injuries', prefers golf, doesn't speak the language and doesn't mix with players.

Not sure I'd touch him with a barge pole but can see why they may see it as a £12-15m punt (half his wages til end of season) worth taking, there is upside if goes well, and downside isn't catastrophic unless he damages the whole squad by his presence and envy of the wages.

I guess this is part of the reason people may question his desire these days. There's no reason to go to China on any kind of sporting level, it's purely for the bucket loads of cash - absolutely nothing wrong with that of course - so will he still be able to raise his game to the demands of the Premier League? He's won league titles and the CL, at a club level what would really drive him now?

Edit: Just seen on the rumour mill on BBC Sport that Alli might be used as part of a deal :lol: I mean, there's probably nothing in it, but even so that's a ludicrous suggestion, no?

It was the only club willing to pay for him.

The contract he signed is crazy and Real are having difficulty getting rid of it. Which isn’t helped by them publicly trashing him at every opportunity. Ultimately Bale is going to want the £50m he is owed.

5 minutes ago, Plissken said:

It was the only club willing to pay for him.

The contract he signed is crazy and Real are having difficulty getting rid of it. Which isn’t helped by them publicly trashing him at every opportunity. Ultimately Bale is going to want the £50m he is owed.

That's kind of the point though, isn't it? That I'm sure plenty of players have taken pay-cuts (albeit not a significant as Bale's would be, granted) in order to get back to playing regular, competitive football. If he really wanted the China deal to go through, I'm sure he could've come to an agreement on wages to help offset the transfer fee Real wanted and push it through.

Again, I have no problem with him wanting the money, it's his right to get the best deal for him - but that for me translates into not really being all that hungry to play league football right now (I appreciate he still seems very proud and keen to play for Wales).

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

As a counter example, Sergio Aguero doesn't give interviews in English and he's been here half a decade.

Wanna feel old because it’s not half a decade.  I remember watching Aguero’s debut for Manchester City with my week old son in my arms.  He’s nine now.  

Oh, and Villa confirm Martinez in from Arsenal on a four year deal. Think that takes our spending up to about £70m plus a big fat pay rise for Grealish.

I do wonder when Martinez is going to get a serious injury though. We’ve lost three keepers to season ending injuries since 2018.  

26 minutes ago, Gabe said:

If he really wanted the China deal to go through, I'm sure he could've come to an agreement on wages to help offset the transfer fee Real wanted and push it through.

The Real board suddenly changed the deal to get a fee. It wasn’t the original agreement.

10 minutes ago, Plissken said:

The Real board suddenly changed the deal to get a fee. It wasn’t the original agreement.

Yeah, sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear - I know it was originally a free transfer and Real then demanded a fee at the 11th hour - I'm saying that I reckon if he really wanted it to go through he probably could've had some influence on that in terms of his own contract being restructured (i.e. wage cut). Of course he was never going to do that - and no reason why he should - because he was going for the money. I'm just saying that if he really had a passion to go there for the football, that could've been an option to him.

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Bale back to Spurs would be amazing. He's a model pro who is being smeared by Real just to get him off the books. 

The thing is though, the smearing of him isn't exactly going to make other clubs queue up to buy him, is it? I think the smearing is possibly more to save face with the Real fanbase as to why he has been frozen out.

37 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Madrid gave him the contract. I think it's his perogative to choose if he wants to stay or not. Fair play to him.  

Exactly, footballers have a short shelf life and Bale is never going to make this kind of money again. Why wouldn’t he stay put and secure his families economic future?

They gave him a silly salary which no one will even come close to matching. Not letting him go to China was through there own stubbornness. I'm glad he is rinsing them, they hung him out to dry, and he is getting the best revenge, playing golf and laughing at them. His 'Celebrations' at the end of the season were bloody superb, he has went up in my estimations after all this. :lol:

If Spurs can cover half his wages and bring him to the Prem then that's a good move for Spurs, yes even paying half that wage is an outrageous amount, but they arnt paying a fee for him and they are still getting a top class player. Regarding him upsetting the harmony at Spurs, I dont know, after watching All or Nothing, it certainly doesn't look like a particularly harmonious group at the moment anyway! Someone like Bale who can play across the frontline, and act as backup to both Harry Kane and Son, it would be a great bit a business.

Any player or manager is quite within their rights to sit out a contract not making it easy for the club that wants to offload them, as Ozil is showing Arsenal at present.

As a top level player though that shelf life to earn is as short as the time they can actually play football, Bale can earn a lot of money wherever he plays, several lifetimes worth, so you do question whether he see's football as just a job or something he loves doing. 

As fans we always assume players like playing, but for some I'm sure its the worst part of the game and they are fine without it. Michael Owen always preferred horse racing, Assou-Ekoto at Spurs hated football but just happened to be good at it. If Bale decides to sit out another season with the Real U23 squad and no match time its a good indication despite what his people claim that actual game time doesn't rank that highly for him, which is fine, but stop claiming otherwise.

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/427425/footballers-who-hate-football/

https://www.givemesport.com/1559414-12-famous-players-who-dont-really-like-football-following-marcandre-ter-stegens-admission

10 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Any player or manager is quite within their rights to sit out a contract not making it easy for the club that wants to offload them, as Ozil is showing Arsenal at present.

As a top level player though that shelf life to earn is as short as the time they can actually play football, Bale can earn a lot of money wherever he plays, several lifetimes worth, so you do question whether he see's football as just a job or something he loves doing. 

As fans we always assume players like playing, but for some I'm sure its the worst part of the game and they are fine without it. Michael Owen always preferred horse racing, Assou-Ekoto at Spurs hated football but just happened to be good at it. If Bale decides to sit out another season with the Real U23 squad and no match time its a good indication despite what his people claim that actual game time doesn't rank that highly for him, which is fine, but stop claiming otherwise.

Seems a bit unfair on him to me. He's got the choice of playing football for potentially half his wages or earning the money which he was offered and agreed to. I don't believe he has ever refused to play for Madrid and has even played well for them many times. 

Do the same job (whether you love it or not) for less money? I know what I'd do...

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Seems a bit unfair on him to me. He's got the choice of playing football for potentially half his wages or earning the money which he was offered and agreed to. I don't believe he has ever refused to play for Madrid and has even played well for them many times. 

Do the same job (whether you love it or not) for less money? I know what I'd do...

its not about fair or unfair - he can only do this job for a short number of years. some players just want to play, they love it and will do anything they can to get a game somewhere whilst they can.

he's in a situation where he doesn't play much if at all now due to the coach and has to decide what is more important to him, it appears he has decided and that is to get paid what he's entitled to and miss several of the peak years of his career.

of course most everyday people can't comprehend a halving of wages as being a choice - but his dilemma is somewhat different, and if he played more he'd probably pick up a lot of the slack in endorsements.

40 minutes ago, Gotters said:

its not about fair or unfair - he can only do this job for a short number of years. some players just want to play, they love it and will do anything they can to get a game somewhere whilst they can.

he's in a situation where he doesn't play much if at all now due to the coach and has to decide what is more important to him, it appears he has decided and that is to get paid what he's entitled to and miss several of the peak years of his career.

of course most everyday people can't comprehend a halving of wages as being a choice - but his dilemma is somewhat different, and if he played more he'd probably pick up a lot of the slack in endorsements.

Or he makes one appearance and breaks his leg and never plays again then gets a pay off presumably based on his lower wage. Unlikely I know but ultimately I'd do exactly what he's doing. Will he regret it later in life? Maybe. But he'll also be playing golf whilst living in a mansion and his family will never need to worry about money. I think he'll be able to sleep soundly enough. 

3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I like how you think one of his options doesn't have a mansion, endless golf and his family set for life !

Fair enough :lol:

Just wondering which other players on £600k per week have willingly taken a pay cut for their love of the game? 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/427425/footballers-who-hate-football/

https://www.givemesport.com/1559414-12-famous-players-who-dont-really-like-football-following-marcandre-ter-stegens-admission

Yes, this is what I was trying to say - he clearly doesn't love the game enough to sacrifice the wages he gets. And that's perfectly fine, it's his prerogative and all that. Like Ozil though, he's clearly come to a point where his preference is for money, rather than playing football because, as both you and I have said, if he really had an insatiable passion for the game he would move on to get game time, yes on lower wages, because the thought of not playing would be too much.

Again, that's only his decision to make and I don't think anybody is judging him negatively for that - I'm certainly not. But I do think it's fair to then wonder whether his heart is fully in it anymore.

7 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Fair enough :lol:

Just wondering which other players on £600k per week have willingly taken a pay cut for their love of the game? 

Not at his wage level of course - who is? - but hasn't Sanchez recently taken a cut to finalise his move to Inter? I'm sure there are plenty of others (didn't Owen take a cut to move to Newcastle from Real too?) It's more the general principle of wanting to play regularly.

Edit: Just to clarify on the above, where I say he doesn't love the game enough - I'm talking purely in the context that the man probably already has more than enough money to last his and his family's lifetime, so if he had a driving sporting ambition - i.e. Ronaldo wanting to be the best wherever he goes and break records - then he would surely sacrifice something (in this case money) to achieve it.

Just now, Gabe said:

Yes, this is what I was trying to say - he clearly doesn't love the game enough to sacrifice the wages he gets. And that's perfectly fine, it's his prerogative and all that. Like Ozil though, he's clearly come to a point where his preference is for money, rather than playing football because, as both you and I have said, if he really had an insatiable passion for the game he would move on to get game time, yes on lower wages, because the thought of not playing would be too much.

Again, that's only his decision to make and I don't think anybody is judging him negatively for that - I'm certainly not. But I do think it's fair to then wonder whether his heart is fully in it anymore.

Not at his wage level of course - who is? - but hasn't Sanchez recently taken a cut to finalise his move to Inter? I'm sure there are plenty of others (didn't Owen take a cut to move to Newcastle from Real too?) It's more the general principle of wanting to play regularly.

Yeah Michael Owen was famously a 40 game per season player at Newcastle...

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

So similar to Bale then?

Well it depends on your point of view. I don't think many newcastle fans would have a positive word to say about Owen's run at the club. His Stoke move was also very dubious if you are talking about footballing integrity. 

Bale is rightly (in my opinion) treating Madrid with the indifference that they deserve. I can't imagine many players doing differently - unless they were actively miserable in the location etc. 

13 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Bale is rightly (in my opinion) treating Madrid with the indifference that they deserve. I can't imagine many players doing differently - unless they were actively miserable in the location etc. 

Here's the thing - I don't disagree with any of this and you may well be right. But it's still fair to question whether he still has the hunger to perform at a PL club after being content to potentially sit out his contract for another 2 years.