Football Thread 2020/2021

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

at last some VAR sense in the Palace v Southampton game- ref issued a red to Walker-Peters that looked harsh and ref was asked to take another look himself on the monitors, he downgraded card to a yellow.

quick and at least its the match official making the call

So why don't they follow that protocol for everything else then?

4 minutes ago, kensei said:

Defense was always worrying especially with White gone. Trying to out score Liverpool is an insane idea, but fuck it, hardly any chance of winning this one anyway. 

Keep it up. This reminds me of game against Viduka era Leeds.

This is a fucking brilliant game, we're holding our own. No parking the bus. Love it. 

Considering we have a new signing and an under 23 in defence I'm really happy with how we've played. 

I think we're going to be ok this season. 

Didn’t Norwich get lauded opening weekend last season for going to Anfield and playing nice football whilst losing ?

Recall the recurring theme being ‘if Norwich keep playIng like this they’ll not be in any trouble at end of season’

38 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Didn’t Norwich get lauded opening weekend last season for going to Anfield and playing nice football whilst losing ?

Recall the recurring theme being ‘if Norwich keep playIng like this they’ll not be in any trouble at end of season’

Big question for us is how the defense holds up. We had frustrating games where we missed loads of chances and then the other team scores their one chance. Premiership teams are gonna get more than one chance. But Bielsa will absolutely not compromise in any game.

To be honest, I'd be happy if we stick to his principles, go down but keep the finances in the right places so we go up again. Wouldn't be the first team that had to go up - down - up to get established. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

The Man City win not long after seemed to cause a lot of pundits who don't really watch teams in the bottom half of the table to make their mind up after a month and not revise that opinion until they were most of the way through the ten game losing streak at the end of the season. 

My lot (Villa) had a similar narrative from opening weekend until Xmas. We were playing well and losing a lot and people within Villa fan circles and outside were also using the "if we play like this every week we will be alright" card despite the really worrying fact that not many points were actually being collected, then we played Burnley away on New Years day and lost our record signing and our first choice goalkeeper to season ending injuries (neither player is anywhere near fit yet) so went on slump through the injury crisis, but it seems during the lockdown the manager exchanged principles for pragmatism and somehow ended up keeping us in the division.  Norwich stuck to their guns and went down. 

Now I think Leeds will stick to their principles. I also think they are a much better team than Norwich were last season. If I had to put money down I'd say that they will stay up, they might flirt with relegation but I don't think they'll get cut adrift at any point.  They won't be enjoying most of the ball every week like they were in The Championship and they need to avoid the burnout which appeared to fuck them in Bielsa's first season and rightly or wrongly he has a reputation for across most of his career.  Whether that stacks well with the condensed schedule or not remains to be seen, but I guess this side are used to having a relentless league schedule after coming up from The Championship.  

It's obviously fool-hardy to predict who is going down after one game. But if Fulham stay up, I'll be amazed. They've got a very ordinary squad, really lack midfield creativity and that defence is going to leak goals. 

I'm astounded that Mitrovic started from the bench. Maybe it was a fitness thing?

Also if Leeds are going to win the Premier League and Liverpool are going to be challenging for second or third spot then they both need to tighten up those defences.

50 minutes ago, Gotters said:

if you think you're missing out on anything good in the EFL thread here is an example of the footy, this has to be match fixing ? Is it recent or an oldie ?

Yep, that was us (Southend United) yesterday at home, truly awful.

Can see the full highlights of the 0-4 loss against Harrogate Town who were promoted from the National League.

Yeah that's a shambles. Lots on twitter saying the ref should have disallowed it as Harrogate players were still in the box when the keeper played it out, but that's all on the keeper, if you want to release it quickly you have to deal with the consequences. 

Terrible attitude from the defender though, no urgency to do anything with it, or recover the ball. 

Leicester looked pretty ordinary first half and I thought we'd carried on last season's woeful form. Much better second half and if Harvey Barnes could progress his shooting beyond 'alwasdy smash it directly at the keeper', then we would have scored 6. Vardy's 2 penalties were pretty much perfect to boot.