Football Thread 2020/2021

Ian St John has died aged 82. 

I’m far too young to remember him as a player but I think a lot of this forum grew up on Saint and Greavsie in the 80s. Saint always seemed like a bloody good bloke.  RIP. 

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I’m far too young to remember him as a player but I think a lot of this forum grew up on Saint and Greavsie in the 80s. Saint always seemed like a bloody good bloke.  RIP. 

This. Seeing this news just took me down a lovely half-hour Wikipedia rabbit hole from Saint & Greavsie through The Big Match, the ITV Sport Channel, Fantasy Football League and the wonderful Aztec theme tune. Some powerful nostalgia hits going on there, for sure.

5 hours ago, glb said:

Is this the first 48-team one? Guess it would have to be to let all the hosts qualify automatically.

No, that'll be the 2026 World Cup in USA, Mexico and Canada. As far as I know, it still hasn't been decided if all three of those will qualify automatically, although with six spots allocated for CONCACAF, places are virtually guaranteed for the US and Mexico anyway so it'd not affect much.

I'd say there's absolutely no chance of 5 of Europe's spots going to the home nations and Ireland if this 2030 bid wins. 

Was reading an article on The Athletic about Leicester's injury crisis and the medical staff's routines and initiatives. Apparently Harvey Barnes already had a knee injury before getting stretchered off against Arsenal but because of injuries the club were having to use him and manage his fitness more closely. Players have now had 38 Premiership games in 5 and a half months, so no surprise that there's so many injuries now. Was a really interesting read and there was a graphic that was pretty informative. 

If you look at the 'Big Six', it's only really Liverpool that have been severely hampered by injuries, both in terms of numbers of injuries and the profile of those injured. Tends to support Chris Wilder's POV that increased substitutions would help the larger teams that have greater squad depth. However, his view didn't appreciate that increased subs would allow the smaller squads to make more in-game changes that might protect them from the injuries that a load of these teams are now facing. Looking at that list, you'd have to worry about Newcastle and in Leicester and Villa challenging for European places. There's also an argument to be had that at least 10 teams have their best player injured which is where we'll see how managers adapt their formations, approaches and strategies over the coming months. No Grealish, Maddison, Zaha, Rodriguez, Lamptey, Phillips, van Dijk, Phil Jones..

image-3.png

That graphic misses off Chris Wood who came off the bench last week having missed six games, with Charlie Taylor and Jack Cork just about making their way back.

The problem with the "smaller squads to protect from in-game injuries" argument is that the Big Clubs have more quality on the bench that is equivalent to their starting 11 than the smaller clubs do.  Liverpool, for instance, have brought on Salah and Firmino as subs against Clarets, City have brought on De Bruyne, Sane and Mahrez.  (The latter being an ex Player of the Year that they use regularly as a sub.)  We, on the other hand, have Matej Vydra.

I don't, however, disagree that the compressed schedule is causing many more injuries.  Tonight Clarets play Leicester, meaning that they have played two games a week every week bar one since Christmas.  For even the bigger clubs, that is tough going even in normal times and with their resources.  For the smaller clubs, where even the slightest drop off in effort can be the difference between a point and a hammering, it is too much.  My lot have looked particularly knackered with three "six pointers" in a row ending with us being played off the park by 10 man West Brom.  Right now, I think a number of clubs are going to be in a mode of just surviving each game.

I've just looked it up.  This season, Clarets started the season on 20th Sep, finish 23rd May and assuming no further changes will play 8 midweek games (not including the Christmas schedule).  In 2018/19, they started on 12th August, finished on 12th May and again ignoring Christmas schedule, played midweek 4 times all season.  I don't doubt that every club has similar.

Podance should be a red rather than a yellow too.  We've played this season having lost our three leading scorers from the previous two seasons, and also lost one replacement.

This is mostly Wolves' fault however, no one forced them to sell two of them.

20 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

We’re running a book at Villa on whether Wesley will never play a game behind closed doors.   

He's never lost a game not in front of fans?

1 minute ago, BitterToad said:

Utterly fucking pathetic. If that's a handball in the Premier League then roll on the Championship. 

That's a handball full stop. It's just in the championship you don't have var to confirm it. 

11 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

It was disallowed by VAR. 

Yes exactly. In the championship it would still by the letter of the law be handball but you don't have var to confirm it. It's the rule for all of football not just the Premier League. 

32 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

So hands by your sides is now a handball too then. Fucking hell :rolleyes:

20210304_194614.jpg

Bit rich given your lot have a champions league due to hand ball laws of the day :lol:

Hopefully they get Barney Ronay on to football weekly this week, he's always good entertainment on this. 

We have reached the point where in having a rule and pursuing the infringements we forget its purpose; handball is just to prevent someone from picking up the ball and running with it. It's not as though hands are kryptonite and if the ball accidentally grazes an arm that equals untold levels of extraordinary advantage gained. It's a contact sport and it happens. I think in this case if it just hits the player's leg then it bounces off him the same.

How many times in the history of football can people remember where a player purposely handled the ball to gain an advantage? Suarez on the goal line? Henry playing basketball? Scholes that one time for some reason when he just reached up? 

I know people can become over dramatic and i do find all talk about referees really boring, but saying that i do think this strict subservience without common sense when applied to everything else will lead to humanity's extinction.