Football Thread 2020/2021

Sweetest free kick from Ronaldo against Sweden. His 100th goal for Portugal as well, making him only the second international (male) player in history to score 100 goals for their country. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

The next international break in october is a week but apparently has 3 fixtures, 2 more of these nations league games and a mind bogglingly dumb friendly

Way to unburden the players 

Heard that today. Utter, utter nonsense to have a friendly wedged in on top of two other internationals given the fixture list for this season.

16 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Villa have apparently agreed a £28m fee for Ollie Watkins, potentially rising to £33m.  Best player in The Championship last season, but it’s a lot of money for a guy who has never played top flight football.  

Exeter City have a 15% sell on clause. They already made £1.8m with add ons when he went to Brentford. Villa have already signed a youngster from Exeter for £1m+ in this transfer window.

All Premier League games in September are now to be televised.

Sky and BT had chosen 17 games for broadcast, leaving 11 without coverage.  These are now allocated with six for Sky, three for BT sport and one each for the BBC and Amazon Prime.

That means that BBC viewers are lucky enough to get to see Leicester vs Burnley on Sept 20th.

Full list.

Match Round 1

Saturday 12 September

12:30 Fulham vs. Arsenal (live on BT Sport)

15:00 Crystal Palace vs. Southampton (live on BT Sport)

17:30 Liverpool vs. Leeds United (live on Sky Sports)

20:00 West Ham United vs. Newcastle United (live on Sky Sports)

Sunday 13 September

14:00 West Bromwich Albion vs. Leicester City (live on Sky Sports)

16:30 Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton (live on Sky Sports)

Monday 14 September

18:00 Sheffield United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (live on Sky Sports)

20:15 Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Chelsea (live on Sky Sports)

Match Round 2

Saturday 19 September

12:30 Everton vs. West Bromwich Albion (live on BT Sport)

15:00 Leeds United vs. Fulham (live on BT Sport)

17:30 Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace (live on Sky Sports)

20:00 Arsenal vs. West Ham United (live on Sky Sports)

Sunday 20 September

12:00 Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur (live on BT Sport)

14:00 Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (live on Sky Sports)

16:30 Chelsea vs. Liverpool (live on Sky Sports)

19:00 Leicester City vs. Burnley (live on BBC Sport)

Monday 21 September

18:00 Aston Villa vs. Sheffield United (live on Sky Sports)

20:15 Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Manchester City (live on Sky Sports)

Match Round 3* (confirmation of broadcast selections will follow imminently)

Saturday 26 September

12:30 Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Manchester United (live on BT Sport)

15:00 Burnley vs. Southampton (TBC)

15:00 Crystal Palace vs. Everton (TBC)

15:00 Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle United (TBC)

15:00 West Ham United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (TBC)

17:30 West Bromwich Albion vs. Chelsea (live on Sky Sports)

Sunday 27 September

12:00 Sheffield United vs. Leeds United (live on BT Sport)

14:00 Fulham vs. Aston Villa (live on Sky Sports)

16:30 Manchester City vs. Leicester City (live on Sky Sports)

Monday 28 September

20:00 Liverpool vs. Arsenal (live on Sky Sports)

11 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

Is Vinagre off to Porto or is it simply rumour?

Rumour at the moment.

The word was we wanted to send him to Porto with Telles going the other way.  Apparently Man Utd are also looking at him (Telles).

Believe it or not, we've been strongly linked with two more Porto full backs, but it is a position that needs attention right now.

I believe Telles is in the last year of his contract and Porto need money to pass FFP regulation.

As things stand Vinagre is our first or second choice left-wing back with the Brazilian guy from Lyon.

6 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I've not paid much attention to the Premier League but Chelsea have signed some very impressive players. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/53892514

Hakim Ziyech is the one I was surprised at the most. He was brilliant for Ajax and I thought he'd end up in Spain. Werner, Chilwell and Thiago Silva and Havertz. 

Some very smart buying too, not just glory purchases but targeting exactly where the team was weak, bolstering the defence with Silva, Chilwell and Sarr could end up working incredibly well.  And Havertz, Werner and Ziyech is pretty incredible potential at the front.

Of course Silva is only a 1-2 season option but that's basically the point, it gets an adult in defence where Chelsea sorely need one.

The test for Lampard, and one he in theory should be suited to is now getting this lot to be a team not just a group of players.

When do Chelsea expect to be in serious title contention? The signings look great on paper but I’d expect one of Liverpool or Manchester City to post another 90+ point season and Chelsea are going to have to add 20-25 points to their recent tallies to even stand a chance of winning the league.  Is this part of a longer term project because I just can’t see them making those kind of strides in a year and I doubt Abramovich wants to spend that kind of money just to stand still.  

It's all stepping stones, isn't it? I doubt anybody thinks they will challenge for the title this season, but the intention will be to improve on last season's points tally, make a decent stab at the CL (I guess QF at a minimum) and perhaps win a cup. They've bought young, too, so there's lots of years for them to improve.

Love the look of Chelsea going forward, not sure about the defence like as others have said.

Abramovich really appreciates not letting a good crisis go to waste so Chelsea found themselves in a really good position to wade in and get these players with a lot of the other big name competition sat on the sidelines looking at their empty wallets.

Chelsea had the benefit of the big sales of Hazard & Morata sat in the FFP bank, the transfer ban meaning their recent player outlay and thus future amortisation figures would be low and a squad that had already bedded in a few promising youngsters last year.

Too soon probably for a title tilt unless Liverpool have an off season after 2 years on the asthma meds and caffeine pills and City players get fed up of listening to Pep.

They all look like good signings on paper but when was the last time a team made this many signings for their first team and had got them all working well in the first season? Ziyech has supposedly been available for a good price for a couple of summers now, I know he's been good for Ajax but you've sort of got to wonder why no one else has bought him previously.

1 minute ago, spork said:

They all look like good signings on paper but when was the last time a team made this many signings for their first team and had got them all working well in the first season? Ziyech has supposedly been available for a good price for a couple of summers now, I know he's been good for Ajax but you've sort of got to wonder why no one else has bought him previously.

Chelsea when they bought everyone the first time around.

4 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

When do Chelsea expect to be in serious title contention? The signings look great on paper but I’d expect one of Liverpool or Manchester City to post another 90+ point season and Chelsea are going to have to add 20-25 points to their recent tallies to even stand a chance of winning the league.  Is this part of a longer term project because I just can’t see them making those kind of strides in a year and I doubt Abramovich wants to spend that kind of money just to stand still.  

It's a longer term project for literally everyone except Liverpool and City.  That said, they can be caught, all it needs is Liverpool to be more like late season Liverpool than early season and the opposite really for City.  The margins are small. Chelsea gave away a LOT in defensive frailty last season.

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Chelsea when they bought everyone the first time around.

True, although that only gained them 12 points from one season to the next.  And 2 places (4th to 2nd).

Batshuayi back at Palace, not a permanent solution but we need a striker asap (have done for the last 4 years) so I'll take it, hoping for a couple more new faces before the window shuts, but fuck knows (given our limited ability to get deals over the line)  

3 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

That picture confused me, why is Ronaldo the only one dressed?

He played against Sweden to score the goals to take him to 100 right, that that was the second game of two.

He was subbed off, so presume he showered up before everyone else. Probably used all the hot water too. Classic CR7.

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

It's a longer term project for literally everyone except Liverpool and City.  That said, they can be caught, all it needs is Liverpool to be more like late season Liverpool than early season and the opposite really for City.  The margins are small. Chelsea gave away a LOT in defensive frailty last season.

True, although that only gained them 12 points from one season to the next.  And 2 places (4th to 2nd).

This season will either be a lot more open than the last season, or City are going to romp it. I don't see Liverpool and City being in a two-horse race.

at last some VAR sense in the Palace v Southampton game- ref issued a red to Walker-Peters that looked harsh and ref was asked to take another look himself on the monitors, he downgraded card to a yellow.

quick and at least its the match official making the call