Football Thread 2020/2021

21 hours ago, Gotters said:

Look at the thread in tv, it’s genuinely brilliant

It is excellent even if you don't like football (my brother has no interest in football, but loved it), but if you do its even better.

2 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

I agree - especially now where the big teams rarely put a full team out so there isn't that much excitement from drawing them early and then the 2 legged semi has always traditionally worked in the big clubs favour. Except of course when bloody Swansea upset Chelsea and Bradford upset Villa and then the Jacks won it.

But - I suspect the Big Six clubs attitude is that the whole thing should go if they haven't got the time to play in it anymore.

I also think that because it's usually the big clubs that win that others don't bother putting out competitive teams either. If other clubs knew they had more of a chance of silverware and a way into Europe the next season it would be miles better.

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Absolutely, and it's a fallacy as well - if a top team can't ensure qualification to the top tournaments through competition play, then they cannot be considered a top team no matter how many expensive and highly marketable footballers they sign.

Unless it’s Liverpool, right?

Fulham have pressed us brilliantly but my God we've been dogshit. They look like they've all been out on the sauce all night.

Fully expect Fulham to win and us to be without Antonio until April after his hamstring upped and left the building without him.

25 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Can anyone explain how Ashley Barnes’s disallowed goal was offside? I really don’t get it unless you go back about 3 phases of play?

If you or anyone else can guess half of the ridiculous offsides you're a smarter man that many others. I'm still bitter about Manes from the Derby.

51 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Can anyone explain how Ashley Barnes’s disallowed goal was offside? I really don’t get it unless you go back about 3 phases of play?

Matej Vydra was the one offside. He came from off the pitch behind the goal line to pick up a loose ball. Correct call.

If Big Sam gets another result against Jose, he’ll get home tonight and slip into something tight ‘n mischievous. Feeling 10 feet tall he’ll hit a button to enter his mood room, a brighlty-lit tribute to the greatest managerial career the world has known. He’ll slide into his gently bubbling, gravy-filled jacuzzi, gripping a pint of Bovril in one meaty paw and an extra large Ginster’s in the other sausage-fingered hand.

“Alexa, play the match highlights on repeat” he’ll blurt through a mouthful of pastry, spraying a carnivorous snowstorm of flaky, meat-crumbs across the Big Museum of Big Sam. Unblinking, he’ll watch the highlights on a loop until he’s feasted and spent.

Kind of hope Tottenham score to be honest.

12 minutes ago, glb said:

If Big Sam gets another result against Jose, he’ll get home tonight and slip into something tight ‘n mischievous. Feeling 10 feet tall he’ll hit a button to enter his mood room, a brighlty-lit tribute to the greatest managerial career the world has known. He’ll slide into his gently bubbling, gravy-filled jacuzzi, gripping a pint of Bovril in one meaty paw and an extra large Ginster’s in the other sausage-fingered hand.

“Alexa, play the match highlights on repeat” he’ll blurt through a mouthful of pastry, spraying a carnivorous snowstorm of flaky, meat-crumbs across the Big Museum of Big Sam. Unblinking, he’ll watch the highlights on a loop until he’s feasted and spent.

Kind of hope Tottenham score to be honest.

dd0-1.png.e5d66658263bca6dff9b05dfebb0d361.png

If Kane ever does his ligaments, Spurs are getting relegated.

Also why even bother putting Bale on the bench at this point, if you use him to get you out of a hole against Chelsea, and you don't use him when 2-0 up and cruising against a relegation team, exactly what situation is going to involve him getting minutes?

15 minutes ago, Dudley said:

If Kane ever does his ligaments, Spurs are getting relegated.

Also why even bother putting Bale on the bench at this point, if you use him to get you out of a hole against Chelsea, and you don't use him when 2-0 up and cruising against a relegation team, exactly what situation is going to involve him getting minutes?

Apart from those times he's been injured and we've mostly been fine. Kane is a key player though - but I think any team would miss him considering he is one of the best strikers in the world. 

14 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Kane is going to keep Mourinho in his job which is good for Spurs fans. Big Sam is going to quit WBA before the end of March. 

Got to keep that record going.

It's highly likely that Allardyce will pick a row with the owners or somebody in charge so he either gets sacked and a payoff (his preference I'm sure) or can storm out on his high horse saying he wasn't backed in the transfer window or they aren't taking Covid seriously - something along those lines before they're mathematically down.

Anyone see the Johnny Evans challenge? Looks like a red to me, hit the Wolves player just below the knee and raked down his leg.

Out of control and endangering an opponent.

8 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Anyone see the Johnny Evans challenge? Looks like a red to me, hit the Wolves player just below the knee and raked down his leg.

Out of control and endangering an opponent.

I thought it was a bad one but didn’t think he meant anything by it. Although maybe that doesn’t matter. 

At the time I thought yellow was right.