IGNORED

Football Thread 2020/2021

Gotters

24 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Arsenal seem to have taken the "Play League 1" football thing to heart awfully quickly. I'd have been embarrassed by that Villa goal if I were a pub team.

It definitely had 12:31 on a Saturday afternoon all over it.  Arsenal look good though, I can’t see Villa holding out for the rest of the afternoon, we’ve been sailing pretty close to the wind ever since the goal. 

2 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Villa are just kicking the shit out of Saka here. Blatant rotational fouling that they’re getting away with scot free.

It’s so annoying. I’m incredibly biased, but just stupid decisions like a handball during  encroachment on a free kick aren’t punished either. It’s not swinging the game or anything, but is it a rule or not? We seem to stick slavishly to the rule book on some things but then play free form jazz when it suits as no-one wants to see players in the book. 

Peter Walton outdoing himself on BT sport here - he actually said 'VAR isn't there to get the correct decision, it's there to spot clear and obvious errors'

Where do you even start with that ?

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

:lol:

League 1 no better than Sunday League. 

I could choose an 11 that would probably be top end/bottom end of the Championship/ Premier League.

Olly Watkins started in League 2. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/plymouth-argyle/11202556/league-one-gotm-december/more/4

Goal 3 is the best.

I know this is your schtick but where did you manage to twist ‘sometimes at its worst  it feels like Sunday league’ to ‘no better than Sunday league’? 

Got hounded for calling this out last season and week in week out i have been proven right. Anyone that has watched the officiating in the last two arsenal games cannot tell me that the officials in this league are anywhere near good enough. Konsa should've been off first half. Grealish could've been off. Rotational fouling and timewasting for 90minutes rewarded by the ref. A clear and obvious error (not awarding a penalty for martinez dragging lacazette down) deemed to not be a clear and obvious error"

Purge the PGMOL and actually get people in that be consistent with decisions week in week out. I dont care if you have to scour the world and poach the best from every league, we cannot be deemed the best league in the world with sunday league officials who are being shown to be dinosaurs and completely out of their depths in the modern game.

The clear and obvious thing was just a clever bit of wording they popped in to give officials enough leeway to carry on as they always have. I find VAR's usage to be baffling to be honest. During the week they spent an age poring over the micro details of the penalty against Southampton, but other equally contentious incidents don't get anywhere near as much attention. I've no idea what constitutes a video review everyone stands about waiting for as opposed to one that apparently is happening in the background. It's that opaqueness that makes everyone get conspiratorial about it  

The league just has too many wannabe superstars with the whistle and has done for years. I remember that bellend Uriah Rennie doing kung fu or some shit as his warm-up and getting absolute pelters from the stands. The bloke just revelled in being centre of attention. At least Mike Dean does Hollywood properly.

3 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

It might be blasphemous to @neoELITE but I’d always prefer watching the best players in the best teams on TV, it’s the only way I’m ever going to see them, and its the level of the game that I enjoy seeing played. 

This isn't a personal attack at all, but I find this sentance depressing.

Fans like yourself are the majority, and the football industry is based around keeping you interested, which in my opinion makes for a worse sport.

Not your fault at all, football sold it's soul a long time ago, at least the majority enjoy it I guess.

I don't think you can argue the concept that seeing people the best at doing something, doing something is going to have more of a draw than watching people less good at doing it.

F1 gets more viewers than F2 or my local karting circuit, despite the fact that if we're honest the entertainment spectacle is better in the latter.  Because, in general, F1 drivers are better.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

I don't think you can argue the concept that seeing people the best at doing something, doing something is going to have more of a draw than watching people less good at doing it.

I don't want to go over this again, but that's not my compaint.

On 05/02/2021 at 14:46, Ork1927 said:

Regarldess of the value of the Man City League Cup in recent years - UEFA wanting it got rid of so 6 teams can cram in some more European fixtures where they will then cry because they have to play on a Saturday afterwards is a bit much especially when the League Cup games will usually be their second team whiile whatever this bloated European reformat league is will need their first team players (at least until they find themselves out of it/or already qualified for the next stage).

I've always thought those teams in Europe shouldn't be in the League Cup, but mainly because I like the idea of other clubs having a chance of silverware. Out side the "top 6" (I hate that term, there isn't a top 6), only 4 others teams have won it in the last 2 decades. If you took the European teams out you'd have a much more competative and fun tournament. 

If I'm reading it right, @dr_manhattan^'s main complaint is with tailoring the sport to favour the TV viewer over the fan in the stadium, as opposed to those fans who prefer to watch elite-level football.

I'd say what @Oh Danny Boy said isn't at odds with that notion either, reflecting as it does a multitude of problems that come with trying to attend top level football, some of which is surmountable by the game (high ticket prices) and others, not so much (geography and limited capacity).

See this sucks for Newcastle, and the problem with the new head injury rules.

This is just as much of an injury but they're going to have to play 15 minutes with 9 men because he hasn't injured the right thing.

9 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

If I'm reading it right, @dr_manhattan^'s main complaint is with tailoring the sport to favour the TV viewer over the fan in the stadium, as opposed to those fans who prefer to watch elite-level football.

I'd say what @Oh Danny Boy said isn't at odds with that notion either, reflecting as it does a multitude of problems that come with trying to attend top level football, some of which is surmountable by the game (high ticket prices) and others, not so much (geography and limited capacity).

Partly, but also the changes put in place to protect the fortunes of the biggest clubs, the proposal this week to ensure certain clubs participate in the Champion's (lol) League is an example.

The drive for this comes from their marketability, which is because they're attractive to the casual fan.

This leads to a worse sport in my opinion.

Oh those can certainly fuck the fuck off.

And is counter to my point too, if the clubs in the CL are pre-determined rather than the top x in the league then you're NOT watching the best at what they do, do what they do anymore, you're watching the Emirates cup, expensive edition

Absolutely, and it's a fallacy as well - if a top team can't ensure qualification to the top tournaments through competition play, then they cannot be considered a top team no matter how many expensive and highly marketable footballers they sign.

5 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Partly, but also the changes put in place to protect the fortunes of the biggest clubs, the proposal this week to ensure certain clubs participate in the Champion's (lol) League is an example.

The drive for this comes from their marketability, which is because they're attractive to the casual fan.

I don’t think there’s a fan around who’d argue against that being bullshit. Might as well get it over and done with a have a European super league if that ever gets passed. 

There’s a vast gap between fans having to watch top teams play on TV for obvious reasons and the grotesque thirst for wealth by those who run the game. Neither can you blame the casual fan for elite football’s capitalist drive and the selfish profiteering of some top clubs. 

5 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I don’t think there’s a fan around who’d argue against that being bullshit. Might as well get it over and done with a have a European super league if that ever gets passed. 

There’s a vast gap between fans having to watch top teams play on TV for obvious reasons and the grotesque thirst for wealth by those who run the game. Neither can you blame the casual fan for elite football’s capitalist drive and the selfish profiteering of some top clubs. 

You're right, I agree.

I don't blame the fans but they are what makes those moves attracive to the money men.

Newcastle's keeper should probably be off too, gets booked for timewasting and then goes to have a lean against his post for a while instead of taking the kick he's just been booked for not taking.

12 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

That's where I'm at with all of these proposed changes.  There have been a ton of little ones over the years about squad sizes and bench sizes which have made life easier for the richest clubs to operate but the stuff we are seeing now is different.  Juventus saying that they should have a lifetime pass into whatever the big European competition is because they see themselves as the reason why football is globally popular is utter bullshit, clubs rise and clubs fall and the guys who happen to be having good eras during a time when money is pouring into the game because of advances made in broadcast and streaming technology are doing very well for themselves but now they are trying to cement themselves as some NFL/NBA style club who have an eternal invite to the top table, and they can only do that by fucking everybody else over.  It will happen because the new fan doesn't give a shit about what happens below the Champions League tier of club and there are more of them coming into the game every day. 

2 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

That's where I'm at with all of these proposed changes.  There have been a ton of little ones over the years about squad sizes and bench sizes which have made life easier for the richest clubs to operate but the stuff we are seeing now is different.  Juventus saying that they should have a lifetime pass into whatever the big European competition is because they see themselves as the reason why football is globally popular is utter bullshit, clubs rise and clubs fall and the guys who happen to be having good eras during a time when money is pouring into the game because of advances made in broadcast and streaming technology are doing very well for themselves but now they are trying to cement themselves as some NFL/NBA style club who have an eternal invite to the top table, and they can only do that by fucking everybody else over.  It will happen because the new fan doesn't give a shit about what happens below the Champions League tier of club and there are more of them coming into the game every day. 

Exactly right.  FFP is another example.

The working class who had supported the game for 100 years had a bg part of their culture taken from them in my opinion.  it's very sad, and this also bothers me.

But it does bring joy to many people around the world, so maybe it's a decent trade off.

4 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

the quality of football being played... at times I’ve witnessed some of the worst football I’ve watched as a spectator there.  Turgid, scrappy stuff. Sometimes League 1 at its worst can feel not too far off from Sunday football. 

2 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I know this is your schtick but where did you manage to twist ‘sometimes at its worst  it feels like Sunday league’ to ‘no better than Sunday league’? 

Probably from you @Oh Danny Boy

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

I've always thought those teams in Europe shouldn't be in the League Cup, but mainly because I liek the idea of other clubs having a chance of silverware. Out side the "top 6" (I hate that term, there isn't a top 6), only 4 others teams have won it in the last 2 decades. If you took the European teams out you'd have a much more competative and fun tournament. 

I agree - especially now where the big teams rarely put a full team out so there isn't that much excitement from drawing them early and then the 2 legged semi has always traditionally worked in the big clubs favour. Except of course when bloody Swansea upset Chelsea and Bradford upset Villa and then the Jacks won it.

But - I suspect the Big Six clubs attitude is that the whole thing should go if they haven't got the time to play in it anymore.