Football Thread 2020/2021

Not that I'm saying that particular decision was wrong (39th minute not a penalty in the Chelsea game) but it says something about VAR that I just assume any decision is going to overturned.

37 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Not that I'm saying that particular decision was wrong (39th minute not a penalty in the Chelsea game) but it says something about VAR that I just assume any decision is going to overturned.

Not watching the game, but I’ve seen pictures, the outcome seems inconsistent with the decision to award the first penalty in the Wolves v West Brom game. 

I've not seen that but it's worth remembering that any of "it" even touching the line means in the area.

Disallowed goal thanks to what appeared to be VAR measuring parts of both players you're not allowed to play the ball with, so I've no idea if it was actually offside.

Can't wait for Fat Frank to moan about that 'penalty' as the reason why his insipid team lost. It takes real talent to spend so much on players - and have such a talented squad - and deliver so little. We should have beat them by at least 4. 

I never got 'Fat Frank' either as it was never ironically used, an elite athlete with a 6 pack would get taunted and called fat by people who wedged themselves with a shoe horn into the largest replica kit sold and looked like a sausage about to burst

From a interview with 4-4-2 I just googled

You’re one of the most consistent and fittest players I’ve ever seen play, yet some people still like to call you ‘Fat Frank’. How do you feel when you hear that from the crowd?  
Paul Rogers, Cheam

I’m fine with it now; it actually makes me laugh. But when I was younger it used to upset me, it was a stick to beat me with. It started at West Ham, and I can remember going back to Upton Park about seven years ago and a really overweight woman stood up in the chicken run and shouted “Fat Frank” at me. That was the moment where I realised this was getting ridiculous, so I just laugh at it now. There are a lot of really nasty things fans say to players – stuff about personal and family issues – and I don’t like that at all, but I am more than happy with “Fat Frank”.

I expect Lampard will be safe until Chelsea are mathematically out of the Champions League places this season. The league is so tight there doesn’t seem any point in sacking him now.

Yeah, the problem though is those performances, you can lose to Leicester sure but when you play a team like that, with the backdrop of credible rumours about the manager's future and you play like it's the last training session before christmas that looks really bad.

If Chelsea got a decent manager in, with the squad they have, they’d still have an outside chance of the title. 

Any side puts together a run of 8-10 wins in the bounce will leap over pretty much everyone else. Slight drawback being Man City look to have already sussed this out. Villa wrecking crew to the rescue tonight!

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

Can we perhaps grow up a bit and stop with the 'Fat Frank' stuff?

Totally fair point. I'm not quite sure why I did use it; obviously empowered by the idiotic and pathetic tribalism that comes from a victory. 

My Kryptonite is upsetting others and I do take on board constructive criticism. Can't promise I'll be able to hold back on Neymar, mind. 

1 hour ago, glb said:

If Chelsea got a decent manager in, with the squad they have, they’d still have an outside chance of the title. 

Any side puts together a run of 8-10 wins in the bounce will leap over pretty much everyone else. Slight drawback being Man City look to have already sussed this out. Villa wrecking crew to the rescue tonight!

For as good as Villa have been this season I can't see anything other than a comfortable Manchester City victory tonight.  They are in great form, we've not played since New Years Day and our training ground only reopened on Sunday. It's good that some of whatever muscle strains and soft tissue injuries players have had will have had some time to heal but players will be incredibly rusty.   

VFITdIc.png

Brutal schedule coming up too. Six games in 17 days. 

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

For as good as Villa have been this season I can't see anything other than a comfortable Manchester City victory tonight.  They are in great form, we've not played since New Years Day and our training ground only reopened on Sunday. It's good that some of whatever muscle strains and soft tissue injuries players have had will have had some time to heal but players will be incredibly rusty.   

VFITdIc.png

Brutal schedule coming up too. Six games in 17 days. 

Unfortunately for teams hoping to cash in on a tight season, Man City look like they’re back to taking leads then throttling games again. As long as Stones (!) and Dias are fit, they’ve got a solid bedrock on which to build.

Also question marks over how debilitating the recent Covid closures will have been for Villa. Not necessarily in contracting anything but not training together for a few weeks will potentially have an impact.

Fingers-crossed Villa turn up though. They’ve been one of the breaths of fresh air this season, rolling back the Premier League to the 90s with their climb up the table.

Palace look to be signing Jean-Philippe Mateta from relegation threatened Mainz.

Very unusual deal set up.

£3m loan fee (18 months),commitment to buy for £15m if he starts 15 games.

Given he's come back from an injury it's a surprisingly sensible deal for Palace (for once)

How in the hell is that not an offside for the City goal? He literally comes from an offside position to take the ball off the Villa player. What the actual fuck.

Look at where he is AFTER the ball has been played forward.

Screenshot_20210120-194743_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.aa327253837355187832b394353bcb57.jpg

All season they've been calling offsides for a toe nail and then let that go.

There was something similar a couple of years ago in a match between Spurs and Liverpool, where the ball was played through towards an offside Kane but it was passed straight to Lovren instead.  Lovren went to play it forward, but because he's Lovren he somehow managed to propel it backwards straight to Kane who scored.  The goal was given, and it all hinged on Lovren making a deliberate effort to play the ball.  Mings deliberately controlled it so Rodri became onside.  It is kind of crazy when you look at it - Mings wasn't in control of the ball, and it hadn't even hit the ground before Rodri picked his pocket.  My initial reaction was to be furious that it wasn't disallowed as well.

If Mings had just headed it away it wouldn't have been a problem, of course.  It's his mistake, ultimately.