Football Thread 2020/2021

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Rooney is an odd one as you look at his credentials and he's as good as anybody - but if you were offered the choice of him in his pomp or Shearer, Henry even Drogba or Zola and I'd wager most people wouldn't choose him.

I suspect the issue is him, when you hear his name you think of unsavoury goings on with elderly ladies of the night, hair transplants, his vile attitude towards referees, Coleen in the tabloids or Wagatha Christie - his name is more synonymous with being almost a reality star than one of the finest to play the game.

Definitely shinned it. 

He seemed to peak waaay too early and lacked something that would have made him world class, I always put it down to a lack of intelligence when on the pitch. He was also clearly in decline in his late 20s when most strikers reach their peak. When it comes to English strikers I’d take Harry Kane over peak Rooney myself, just overall a better player. 

There’s also the fact that while he undoubtedly scored many goals internationally in friendlies and qualifiers, mostly against lesser opponents, when it came to the big stage at international tournaments, against better teams, his record after 2004 is just terrible.  Whether that’s due to not being good enough, not handling the pressure or too much faith being put in him by a string of England  managers, it’s a record that would stain the obituary of any player. 

28 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Congratulations @Gaz

I was obviously wrong! Not sure how we managed to gain, rather than concede two penalties but those are going to be valuable points. 

8 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

He seemed to peak waaay too early and lacked something that would have made him world class, I always put it down to a lack of intelligence when on the pitch. He was also clearly in decline in his late 20s when most strikers reach their peak. When it comes to English strikers I’d take Harry Kane over peak Rooney myself, just overall a better player.

I'm not sure whether he "peaked" early or whether joining Man Utd and being under Ferguson took that more exciting and explosive aspect of his game out of him.  That isn't a criticism of Rooney or Ferguson, he undoubtedly became a better all round footballer.  It's the old argument about having a player being solidly excellent for 90 minutes or explosively jawdropping for 60.  Modern football, and certainly English football, does tend to hammer individual quality out of its players. 

14 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how you got those either :) 

I'm not really celebrating tbh, I think we are in a bad way and I'm not particularly interested in watching a team score off set pieces while spending most of the game out of possession. 

It's a far cry from the last time we played Wolves, when I was rammed into the Albion Pub in London watching us scoring five. 

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

I'm not really celebrating tbh, I think we are in a bad way and I'm not particularly interested in watching a team score off set pieces while spending most of the game out of possession. 

It's a far cry from the last time we played Wolves, when I was rammed into the Albion Pub in London watching us scoring five. 

Oh god, Albion fans in London?

That's it, I'm definitely not leaving the flat now.

Wayne Rooney was a brilliant player. He could have played in midfield for Derby instead of retiring. He got injured in that tournament when he was setting it on fire as a 14 year old. 

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

It's pretty funny to see Wayne Rooney's career being given lukewarm write ups by fans of the teams he used to torment season after season. He's an all-time great.

Ridiculous isn't it. Even I can admit he was absolute quality. I'd have loved for him to be a red scouser and not a blue. 

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Wayne Rooney was a brilliant player. He could have played in midfield for Derby instead of retiring. He got injured in that tournament when he was setting it on fire as a 14 year old. 

He has been playing in midfield for us and was comfortably our worst player this season. He was pretty good last season but he's clearly past it and it was the right time.

15 hours ago, Timmo said:

He has been playing in midfield for us and was comfortably our worst player this season. He was pretty good last season but he's clearly past it and it was the right time.

Scored the winner against Norwich in a game you should not have won, I think the free kick was the only time there was any intent to do anything over than not lose - he was easily your best player that game ;) 

11 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Scored the winner against Norwich in a game you should not have won, I think the free kick was the only time there was any intent to do anything over than not lose - he was easily your best player that game ;) 

No he wasn't.

17 minutes ago, Timmo said:

No he wasn't.

I assume your going for the keeper then? The rest of the team were playing football Stoke would have been embarrassed by... there was on moment of class and it was the free kick other the the keeper it was dross.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I assume your going for the keeper then? The rest of the team were playing football Stoke would have been embarrassed by... there was on moment of class and it was the free kick other the the keeper it was dross.

It depends if you give players high ratings for scoring goals but otherwise being completely shit. Since he's stopped playing we've had far more control in midfield, conceded far less, scored more and generally have been better under just about every metric. Still pretty shit, but noticeably less shit.

1 hour ago, ManLikeColonel said:

Well, Fernandes was completely outclassed by Thiago today.

To be fair Rooney had a better game against Norwich than anyone on either team did it that shower of shite, gives Burnley vs Leeds a bad name...

Not sure why I'm surprised, but Palace stinking the place up and it feels like a Man City attcking drill from training.

I don't expect to beat City, nor even a draw, I just want to see us put up a slight fight for once (or expect the very well reimbursed players to be able to pass, and not constantly give the ball away)

And Hodgson waits for 10 minutes after going 3 down and bringing on a defensive midfielder (12 minutes to go) before bringing on another striker, maybe he's decided he doesn't want to finish the game with zero shots on target...

5 hours ago, ilpostino said:

Great goal by Ndombele:

https://streamwo.com/acb44304

Never seen a goal like that. This is why i like football. Souness reckoned he didn't mean it. I think it's one of the clearest he obviously meant it goals i've seen.

Souness is trending because he said an outside of the boot De Bruyne cross into the box wasn't that hard.

Apparently this was last minute but it makes me laugh for some reason