Football Thread 2020/2021

That's crazy. 10 in 13?!

Aguero, Yaya Toure and David Silva never got their due in terms of player of the year awards and team of the season selections. 

The weirdest thing about top free kick scorers to me is that Messi isn't even in the top 10. Despite it feeling like he's become so legendarily good at them he converts nearly every one he takes. 

I'm always surprised to see Ronaldinho at number 4. I just don't associate him with that. Or Maradona at 6. Given they didn't have the long career consistency of Messi and the same machine-like precision. I guess Messi just started too late. From 2007 to 2012 Messi scored 7 free kicks. CRonaldo scored 23. You need to score 60 to get into the top 10..

Tried to find Messi's best season amount. Can't find just La Liga. But all comps excluding Argentina goals it's 8. CRonaldo again club all comps was 6. First season of Real Madrid..

Who was falling over a lot for City outside of the box at the time? 

22 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

That's crazy. 10 in 13?!

Aguero, Yaya Toure and David Silva never got their due in terms of player of the year awards and team of the season selections. 

The weirdest thing about top free kick scorers to me is that Messi isn't even in the top 10. Despite it feeling like he's become so legendarily good at them he converts nearly every one he takes. 

I'm always surprised to see Ronaldinho at number 4. I just don't associate him with that. Or Maradona at 6. Given they didn't have the long career consistency of Messi and the same machine-like precision. I guess Messi just started too late. From 2007 to 2012 Messi scored 7 free kicks. CRonaldo scored 23. You need to score 60 to get into the top 10..

Tried to find Messi's best season amount. Can't find just La Liga. But all comps excluding Argentina goals it's 8. CRonaldo again club all comps was 6. First season of Real Madrid..

Who was falling over a lot for City outside of the box at the time? 

That's the thing, 13 free kicks over a season isn't much at all. If they were diving around a bit more his stats could well have been even more ridiculous.

I hate to burst this balloon, but I think those stats are completely misleading. Yaya scored six penalties and four free-kicks that season. Those stats must come from an American source. They insist on lumping penalties in with "set pieces."

As someone who watched a lot of Football Italia Sinisi Mihajovic is the best free kick taker I've ever seen

He once scored a hat trick of free kicks in one game which cannot happen very often. 

58 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I hate to burst this balloon, but I think those stats are completely misleading. Yaya scored six penalties and four free-kicks that season. Those stats must come from an American source. They insist on lumping penalties in with "set pieces."

Thanks. I was thinking I don’t remember a season when Toure was banging in free kicks every other week...

That's 5 points from Leicester Liverpool and Tottenham there for a Fulham team that were relegated by many after the first two games of the season. We're still very much amongst it and have got a rotten run at the end of the year but if we can start playing like we played tonight against teams that aren't Tottenham I'm pretty confident we could have enough to stay up. 

5 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

That's 5 points from Leicester Liverpool and Tottenham there for a Fulham team that were relegated by many after the first two games of the season. We're still very much amongst it and have got a rotten run at the end of the year but if we can start playing like we played tonight against teams that aren't Tottenham I'm pretty confident we could have enough to stay up. 

2 games in hand over Brighton, who don't look particularly strong, could have a good chance now. 

9 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Going to buck this thread's trend of being magnanimous and say that Palace's rotational fouling and Zaha's face can do one. What a bloody awful game of football.

I don't think the premier league has seen such a persistent diver that has taken such personal affront at anybody dare breathing in their direction since the young Christiano Ronaldo at Man Utd as Zaha - it's quite hateful to watch and you know why he's doing it, to build a case in the eyes of the official at the 'battering' he's taken all game so when he then chucks himself to the floor in the box he's built a case to get the pen.

Dire match, neither side deserved nil.

To add to the Zaha hate-in. He recently had a kid at a local hospital that a friend works at. He refused to wear a mask on lots of occasions despite being repeatedly asked to by staff. Consensus was that he was a thoroughly unpleasant bellend.

An ex-student was at Palace academy with him and told me he was the most arrogant person he’d ever met and that his United transfer would be a disaster as they wouldn’t stand for his nonsense. 

16 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Going to buck this thread's trend of being magnanimous and say that Palace's rotational fouling and Zaha's face can do one. What a bloody awful game of football.

Who were Palace rotationally fouling? 

I didn't notice it, but I did have my Palace goggles on (looking atthe stats we were 11 -11 in terms of fouls)

1 hour ago, Stopharage said:

To add to the Zaha hate-in. He recently had a kid at a local hospital that a friend works at. He refused to wear a mask on lots of occasions despite being repeatedly asked to by staff. Consensus was that he was a thoroughly unpleasant bellend.

This is disappointing, on pitch shennanigans are par for the course with Zaha and are (unfortunately) part of his game, but this kind of arrogant shit is unforgivable.   

I was just going off on one. I think it was just everyone taking turns to do those niggly fouls you get away with if you only do a couple after about 70 minutes when they’d settled for a draw. It’s not dirty at all, just not conducive to watching entertaining football. It happens I guess. Luiz did go right through the back of Zaha which is probably why he had the hump. 

5 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Luiz did go right through the back of Zaha which is probably why he had the hump. 

he seems to start the game with the hump from what I can tell.

there was one moment of lovely karmic justice where he went down faking being hit in the face and whilst falling really did get a mild clout to the mouth.

1 hour ago, skadupuk said:

Who were Palace rotationally fouling? 

I didn't notice it, but I did have my Palace goggles on (looking atthe stats we were 11 -11 in terms of fouls)

This is disappointing, on pitch shennanigans are par for the course with Zaha and are (unfortunately) part of his game, but this kind of arrogant shit is unforgivable.   

Dont worry about it, Arsenal fans forget they won their championships pioneering the dirty play but now they are gutless they don’t like a taste of their own medicine... ;)

59 minutes ago, Gotters said:

he seems to start the game with the hump from what I can tell.

there was one moment of lovely karmic justice where he went down faking being hit in the face and whilst falling really did get a mild clout to the mouth.

Amongst his many crimes, living in your head rent free (given how often you bring him up)

Clip here:

https://wittyfutty.com/2021/01/video-david-luiz-with-a-crazy-foul-on-zaha/

Perhaps you could screenshot where he pretended to be hit in the face prior to actually being hit in the face?

Just now, skadupuk said:

Amongst his many crimes, living in your head rent free (given how often you bring him up)

Clip here:

https://wittyfutty.com/2021/01/video-david-luiz-with-a-crazy-foul-on-zaha/

Perhaps you could screenshot where he pretended to be hit in the face prior to actually being hit in the face?

Tyson Fury has many crimes but giving people the now massively overused 'living in your head rent free' tired old line is one to add to the list.

I often talk about diving as I hate it, he therefor gets a mention as no conversation about that is complete without mentioning him as he's the most complete diver the game has seen. 

7 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Tyson Fury has many crimes but giving people the now massively overused 'living in your head rent free' tired old line is one to add to the list.

I often talk about diving as I hate it, he therefor gets a mention as no conversation about that is complete without mentioning him as he's the most complete diver the game has seen. 

You've mispelled:

"I was wrong, and completely made up a players actions to fit my narrative"

My recollection was he made more of a meal of Luis' arm in the judo sweep leg initial move, whilst not a game worthy of any repeat viewing looking at the replay he doesn't really.

Based on the power of your arguments and that replay alone I have now totally changed my mind and do not consider Zaha one of the most prolific divers in top flight history and a bad egg. I shall not utter his name again in relation to flinging himself to the ground without being touched or exaggerating falling over to cheat other teams, as he clearly isn't that sort of lad and I've clearly got him wrong. 

Wayne Rooney takes full time charge at Derby, and thus retires from playing.

He finishes a career where he won:
5 Premier League Titles, the Champions League, the UEFA League, the FA Cup (surprisingly only once) and 3 leagues cups.
He's England's all time record goal scorer, and most capped outfield player (120 caps, Shilton is 1st with 125).

He's been PFA player of the year, the PWA player of the year and PFA fans player of the year twice.

He's the 2nd-highest Premier League all-time top scorer (208 goals), and 3rd-highest Premier League all-time assist-provider (103 assists), and is the 'most consistent' goal scorer, being the only player in PL history to have 12 seasons reaching double figures.

On paper, he is unarguably one of the greatest players of our lifetimes. And yet say that out loud and you'll be met with some mighty loud scoffing.

Perhaps his personality, and his style means he is underrated. Or perhaps he lacked that unexplainable 'magic' the truly greats have.

Or perhaps he arrived on such a carriage of hype, in a era where celebrities were treated as gods, while heralded as the talisman of the Golden Generation that no player would have lived up to that.

Either way, we'll always have the memories of salty idiots trying claim this goal wasn't brilliant because he shinned it.

Rooney is an odd one as you look at his credentials and he's as good as anybody - but if you were offered the choice of him in his pomp or Shearer, Henry even Drogba or Zola and I'd wager most people wouldn't choose him.

I suspect the issue is him, when you hear his name you think of unsavoury goings on with elderly ladies of the night, hair transplants, his vile attitude towards referees, Coleen in the tabloids or Wagatha Christie - his name is more synonymous with being almost a reality star than one of the finest to play the game.

Definitely shinned it. 

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Rooney is an odd one as you look at his credentials and he's as good as anybody - but if you were offered the choice of him in his pomp or Shearer, Henry even Drogba or Zola and I'd wager most people wouldn't choose him.

I suspect the issue is him, when you hear his name you think of unsavoury goings on with elderly ladies of the night, hair transplants, his vile attitude towards referees, Coleen in the tabloids or Wagatha Christie - his name is more synonymous with being almost a reality star than one of the finest to play the game.

Definitely shinned it. 

You'd be mad to have Zola or Drogba over him. Shearer and Henry fair enough. 

I guess there was also that he was often a disappointment at the big international tournaments where he’d been hyped up as the guy who would change England’s fortunes. Probably to the degree where nobody could meet the lofty expectations but even then. 

Responsible for some AAA tweets over the years too.