Jump to content

Football Thread 2020/2021


Recommended Posts

Dude they’ve disgraced themselves. Again. Somebody has to post about it. I could post more about them, put it that way :sherlock:

 

Plus, @Plisskenposted about my team having cases, a falsehood, while our neighbours are away acting irresponsibly during the pandemic for no discernible reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

in a move designed to infuriate fantasy football managers everywhere looks like Spurs/Villa on Weds will be called off this week due to Villa having the plague and that fixture replaced with the previously cancelled Spurs/Fulham, then moving Fulham's planned match with Chelsea from Fri to Sat.

 

I'd expect to see these fixture contortions for a while until it reaches a point pretty quickly that the season is morally and logistically untenable and we see another pause in play.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the whole point that there's no room for any pause, so if it shuts down for any reasonable amount of time (I guess >3/4 weeks) then there's no feasible way to finish the season because of the Euros?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Isn't the whole point that there's no room for any pause, so if it shuts down for any reasonable amount of time (I guess >3/4 weeks) then there's no feasible way to finish the season because of the Euros?

 

yup, which is why the league will contort themselves in knots for 2-3 weeks more I suspect until they have to give up the ghost on this season, around the time we hit 2000 deaths a day and more fixtures are lost (I'm not conflating the 2 as linked, just the pressure will come in 2 directions on them)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Plissken said:

A good Cup run is a lifeline to the lower leagues. Reaching the Third Round has kept Chorley going.

 

Isn't that usually because of attendance money, which they won't get?

 

Marine do but only because Spurs sold "Virtual tickets" in order to benefit them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really Celtic should be made to forfeit any games that have to be called off due to the exceptional circumstances of the club deciding to go on holiday rather than some player or member of staff picking it up from somewhere and spreading it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was about to post that :(

 

Gutted for him. From the minute he made his debut against Bristol City in Warnock’s first game - he was immense for us and always comes across as a nice bloke (my son was mascot at the end of our Prem season and was made up to meet him despite him being out injured).

 

This last minute winner at the end of a terrible, terrible game against 10 man Brighton will always be one of my favourite things I’ve ever seen live in football (and I was sat right in front of it).

 

The overhead kick then the probably offside goal then the celebration topped off by the post match interview where he confesses he lied to the ref about whether he took his shirt off.

 

 

A year later and VAR would have ruined it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Plissken said:

Chorley made £500k so far. The TV revenue and prize money at that level is significant.

 

While true, this is not the only way money can be redistributed. The entire FA Cup pot for this season is just under £16m, and that money may be better off redistributed to teams at lower levels than giving over half of it to the clubs that eventually make the last 16.

 

Tying financial security to sporting success during the pandemic is unnecessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I said at the beginning of the season that the domestic cups should have been suspended for 20/21. At least it would have given some wiggle room for fixture changes. 

Suspending the euro 2021 superspreader event would probably be more sensible. Just when you thought it was back under control, white men with beer bellies go on tour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, footle said:

Suspending the euro 2021 superspreader event would probably be more sensible. Just when you thought it was back under control, white men with beer bellies go on tour.


It’ll end up being played in a single venue. FIFA will probably ask UEFA really nicely, you know at one of those special brunches they’re so fond of, if Qatar can host it as a dry run for the World Cup. For SPORTING reasons and DEVELOPING the game. Wink wink. Etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, glb said:


It’ll end up being played in a single venue. FIFA will probably ask UEFA really nicely, you know at one of those special brunches they’re so fond of, if Qatar can host it as a dry run for the World Cup. For SPORTING reasons and DEVELOPING the game. Wink wink. Etc.

 

Isn't there talk of it potentially all being held in the UK? They can call it Euro 2021: Plague Island at least.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

 

While true, this is not the only way money can be redistributed. The entire FA Cup pot for this season is just under £16m, and that money may be better off redistributed to teams at lower levels than giving over half of it to the clubs that eventually make the last 16.

 

Tying financial security to sporting success during the pandemic is unnecessary.

 

I agree but how much of that £16m pot is from what the broadcasters pay The FA for the rights? If it's none, then fair enough, I genuinely don't know.  I do know the FA has taken a financial beating in the past year though and while they're hardly on the same scale as the small clubs they've made redundancies and cuts themselves. Maybe they couldn't afford to give out that money without the tournament.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, spork said:

 

Isn't there talk of it potentially all being held in the UK? They can call it Euro 2021: Plague Island at least.


On the list of dumb footballing decisions, that would be a pretty amazing one. So it will undoubtedly happen.

 

Baddiel & Skinner will be in the recording studio next week!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milko said:

Maybe they couldn't afford to give out that money without the tournament.

 

That's fair, but it's just an example. I believe there's plenty football could do to safeguard the game at lower levels without just assuming the current way is the most sensible one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, glb said:


On the list of dumb footballing decisions, that would be a pretty amazing one. So it will undoubtedly happen.

 

Baddiel & Skinner will be in the recording studio next week!

 

3 vials on a Shirt,

Hancock's always dreaming,

Priti is quite curt,

Boris has gone cycling,

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

 

3 vials on a Shirt,

Hancock's always dreaming,

Priti is quite curt,

Boris has gone cycling,

 

It's staying home,

It's staying home,

Covid's staying home.

 

...

Choosing to have Sheffield United Vs Newcastle with just an empty stadium echoing around them on in the background is a choice I both regret and yet cannot look away from. Thirty one minutes have passed but it might as well have been several years. A clanking, shambolic game with all the fizz of week old cola. But what if... what if Jeff Hendrick scores a pearler to make it all worthwhile... what if... what if... A lone dog barks. A car backfires in the distance. A voice bellows out in anguish. It continues.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.