Football Thread 2020/2021

1 hour ago, spork said:

Genuine question, what do Chelsea fans think of Frank as manager so far? Obviously he's a club legend so has a fair amount of good will built up. Are people calling for his head yet or is the consensus to give him time?

#LampardOut is trending so that probably answers that, but then again twitter isn't exactly the place to find rational fans.

And it's probably not Chelsea fans trending it.

One thing that is dumb, commentators constantly asking where Giroud is.

This is a lost cause, Lampard has brought on 3 players that just need game time, Giroud really doesn't.

That’s one football phrase that really winds me up. Especially if people add that ‘they’re playing a lot better since half time’ when they’re already four down at half time. 

6 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Don’t worry, they’ll get at least one win this month

To beat anyone we'd need to overcome the own goal we score, and somehow do so with 10 men, if recent performances are anything to go by.

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

I can write Frank's post game interview now.

"I got it all perfect on the first 15 minutes. My tactics had City on the back foot. Then the players got it wrong and the players weren't good enough to fight back. They need to be better."

I mean he said "ten minutes" rather than fifteen, but...

13 minutes ago, Baring said:

They’re in Dubai and it was announced they would be going. Fair play to them. 

Yes, we all know. But what we don’t know is... why the fuck are they in Dubai? They said it was to train or somesuch bollocks, but it looks like they’re sinking pints by the pool less than 48 hours after losing an Old Firm that put them 19 points behind in their special historic season, during a fucking global pandemic and everything :blink:

There isn’t even a winter break in Scotland this season. They played us yesterday and were due to play Hibs this coming Saturday, which has been put back til Monday to accommodate intercontinental pool pints during a particularly nasty week of global pandemic where their fans can’t even leave the house except to go to work, where they’ll each be getting the utter cunt ripped out of them and rightly so :wacko:

I know it seems crazy for people to fly away during this and especially those posting pics getting drunk by the pool/beach on insta(I’ve seen too many :(but the government stupidly allows it. 

It is crazy. What purpose is the trip even supposed to serve? Fair play football teams have been travelling around their own continents to play competitive fixtures, but this doesn’t look like essential travel at all. Obviously as a Rangers fan I’ll be slagging them off over it, but from what I’ve seen from their own fans’ comments on social media etc the whole thing has been highly ill-received given the various circumstances.

I don’t doubt that if yesterday’s result had put them 19 points clear, these pictures would be proclaimed as being legendary by their fans, but the facts are you ought to be raging seeing your manager and captain acting like this at the best of times, never mind yesterday’s result, the league table and Covid-19.

Is 4 people considered a party? (Including the two people who live there, Mendy and the missus. Excluding the help, a chef.)

I mean yes he breeched the rules but let's not act like he threw a rave.

8 minutes ago, Steely said:

Is 4 people considered a party? (Including the two people who live there, Mendy and the missus. Excluding the help, a chef.)

I mean yes he breeched the rules but let's not act like he threw a rave.

When the team were on isolation because of a posponed game, yeah I'd say so. Although I must have forgot the virus needed to be around a rave to make it transmitable :rolleyes:. His neice and nephew were there too but they are part of his "bubble" which we all know is bull shit anyway. These bubbles mean nowt, they're deisgned to make people feel better so they can mix with family memebers (who go off and mix outside the bubble anyway)

As soon as I saw that headline about him blaming Brexit for WBA transfer problems I thought he'd come out in the past voting for it - which is strange seeing as he has a massive villa in Spain paid for by his repeated sackings/payoffs and you'd have thought would benefit from things staying as they were. 

He must really feel his 'never relegated' CV bullet point is at risk here as in 4 winless games he's blamed Covid and now Brexit for their situation. 

Fully expect him and Wilder (and whoever else is sitting in the drop zone) to keep pushing for abandonment of the season and no promo/relegation - I don't think the league ever agreed their protocol for what happens in an incomplete season. There was lots of talk of points per game, weighted points and the like but don't recall seeing anything definitive.

I chuffing hate Allardyce. Admittedly, as a Liverpool fan there is a recent reason to be bitter about his approach but for years I've found him to be the worst example of 'English' manager and was unbelievably happy when his rise to England manager turned out the way it did. 

It's not even true that he has never been relegated. He was manager of Notts County when they were relegated from the Second Division in 1996/97. He wasn't just appointed at the end of the season, either - he was appointed halfway through the season, in January.  There was no points deduction to contend with, and his record was worse than the sacked guy he took over from.

I think a litmus test of his style of management would be asking the fans of all of his previous clubs whether they'd have him back or not. Bolton might perhaps, but their current trajectory will have them turning out against The Pig & Whistle in the Chorley Sunday League before too long so that's maybe not the endorsement it once was.

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

Interesting graphic

That is quite interesting.  The colour coding shows that while Hakan Calhanoglu creates a lot of chances, most of them come from corners, so it might be that he takes a good corner, or it might just be that Milan have the players to win everything in the air at set-pieces.  The numbers posted by Iago Aspas are impressive, as he has created 34 chances all from open play, no corners or free-kicks at all.  If he's that good, why don't they put him on corners?

Oh right...