Football Thread 2020/2021

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It's literally been the rule for years. You seem to want to introduce an element of the referees having to decide if it was a goal scoring chance or not? 

I believe we are seeing more penalties now and they do seem to be deciding more games which does lead to a more boring sport, it's a fine discussion to have.

13 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It's literally been the rule for years. You seem to want to introduce an element of the referees having to decide if it was a goal scoring chance or not? 

then why are we seeing double the number of penalties being given and some teams seemingly getting one every week - we aren't exactly in the era of the clogger hardman defender are we ?

I do want to see far less pens given and games decided more on who is better at scoring goals, not who is better at manufacturing/winning pens. Introducing the ref making a call on severity and the foul denying a goal scoring chance doesn't make things worse than they are and is a call they already have to infrequently make. Any other foul in the box remains a foul with a wall etc - its not that big a leap.

15 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Fuck me, just watched the pogba dive. Two games running United have cheated a penalty out of Villa. 

I didn’t watch the game, but I expect VAR must have looked at that for a good five minutes or at least advised the ref to go to the monitor, right?

Then Fernandes scores the penalty and he becomes the best midfielder in the world :lol:

17 minutes ago, Gotters said:

then why are we seeing double the number of penalties being given and some teams seemingly getting one every week - we aren't exactly in the era of the clogger hardman defender are we ?

I do want to see far less pens given and games decided more on who is better at scoring goals, not who is better at manufacturing/winning pens. Introducing the ref making a call on severity and the foul denying a goal scoring chance doesn't make things worse than they are and is a call they already have to infrequently make. Any other foul in the box remains a foul with a wall etc - its not that big a leap.

I do agree we are seeing some very dubious penalties being given. I don't think trading it for free kicks in the box would be the solution though. 

On the flip side if an attacker is running clean through on goal and is wiped out outside the box do you think that should be rewarded with a penalty? 

Just now, Stoppy2000 said:

I do agree we are seeing some very dubious penalties being given. I don't think trading it for free kicks in the box would be the solution though. 

On the flip side if an attacker is running clean through on goal and is wiped out outside the box do you think that should be rewarded with a penalty? 

yes, running thru and about to have a shot or in a position where a shot could be taken from reasonably then give a pen - the sport needs them

reducing other fouls to a normal FK devalues diving and looking for contact and starts to make playing the ball and trying to stay up on your feet the thing to do.

in this data driven age of football teams are doing what yields them the best statistical result a lot of the time, its engrained in the approach of most top flight teams now.

40 minutes ago, ManLikeColonel said:

Then Fernandes scores the penalty and he becomes the best midfielder in the world :lol:

It was pretty sweet penalty!

Was thinking maybe we'd sneak a result after after a couple of decent wins but Spurs is another reminder of exactly how much more lethal the top Premiership teams are. 

We still had a lot of chances. He's had a good season but longer term I think we'll need to upgrade Bamford as much as the defense. 

42 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

It’s 3-5 transfer windows to get a Premier League squad together. Leeds will back the manager in the summer won’t they? 

I think the board would back now but its all about value and whether they'd fit the squad. We'd assumed we'd be picking Championship players but we went out an got German and Spanish international centre backs (who then immediately got injured). Raphina looks good for £17 million, reckon it'd need to be more like that. 

Looking at the team sheet today the defense really is make shift. So maybe things will pick up when Llorente and Koch come back. 

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

yes, running thru and about to have a shot or in a position where a shot could be taken from reasonably then give a pen - the sport needs them

reducing other fouls to a normal FK devalues diving and looking for contact and starts to make playing the ball and trying to stay up on your feet the thing to do.

in this data driven age of football teams are doing what yields them the best statistical result a lot of the time, its engrained in the approach of most top flight teams now.

I think the big issue that stops this having a chance is who decides if it was a goal scoring opportunity - the ref, var, XG?

Strawmans.... but given the goal Son scored for the Puskas or the one above how could you ever know if a player who was fouled in the box was going to score or create a goal scoring opportunity?

34 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

If Son got the Puskas award for his, that's this year's right there.

Pffft, barely comparable when the defenders don’t even want to be on the pitch let alone attempting to tackle ;) 

8 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Pffft, barely comparable when the defenders don’t even want to be on the pitch let alone attempting to tackle ;) 

Son ran..... straight....along way, but straight ;)

1 hour ago, skadupuk said:

There’s so much attacking talent in that palace team which are just humstrung by Hodgson’s tactics. Would never want to be an Eze or Zaha having to run miles to feed off scraps. They definitely need a more creative manager in charge to get the most out of their squad. 

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think the big issue that stops this having a chance is who decides if it was a goal scoring opportunity - the ref, var, XG?

Strawmans.... but given the goal Son scored for the Puskas or the one above how could you ever know if a player who was fouled in the box was going to score or create a goal scoring opportunity?

what about the bloke who decides exactly the same on red/yellow cards at present and gives hundreds of pens at the moment ?

this would result in less pens not more and doesn’t give the ref any decision to make that they currently wouldn’t be expected to in other circumstances

4 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

It’s lucky Wolves had that extra days rest. Oh wait..... 

Brighton had four days to wolves five. If you think that’s the same as two days to three in terms of impact on player recovery I can’t help you. 

Pochettino confirmed as PSG manager.

Now, I usually like Micah Richards and think he’s been great on telly. He has described the appointment as a “match made in heaven” to the Beeb.

https://apple.news/Av5SR4G8pRBqEQZW1K182nA

The Guardian’s Jonathan Liew has a slightly different opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/29/mauricio-pochettino-an-odd-choice-for-psg-a-club-where-the-individual-is-king