Football Thread 2020/2021

Obviously no one here really cares about Kieran Trippier and there's a hundred other injustices that occur every 12 seconds but it's a joke he's been banned for 10 weeks for what looks like his mates putting bets on after he told them he was moving to Athletico Madrid, different to Sturridge who apparently insisted on his mates doing it. 

Glendenning has picked it up

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/dec/28/the-kieran-trippier-case-and-why-some-betting-markets-should-not-be-allowed?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

The best summation I read on this was from reddit user scandinavianleather; 'It's also a larger issue that the FA is accepting third party betting companies as official bodies that the players owe a duty of care to. Kieran Trippier didn't sign any agreement with betting companies and had no bet, yet the FA is still punishing him for causing them to lose money'.

Personally, I have no issue with Trippier's mates putting a bet on, why not use insider knowledge? It's the betting company's choice to allow that bet. Oh no the ordinary citizen may take advantage of an opportunity, only the rich can do that, right?

Football is making it clear that in terms of priority betting companies are above players, which is crazy surely. Oh don't let your mates know you're moving country, or your wife and kids, jeez they might tell someone and allow people an advantage, your responsibility is to the betting companies and you understand. You must be aware of every bet they have open at all times. It's like they're hoping people will conflate any mention of betting with match fixing which it has nothing to with. It's purely the idiocy and possibility for insider knowledge betting companies know is possible and clearly otherwise accept. Only this time it might have been a little too much money lost after all those gains made from exploiting people and Trippier had to take the blame. 

I think the ban extends to not being able to even attend matches. He's started every La Liga and champions league game as Athletico Madrid sit top of the table trying to win the league for the first time since 2014. It's not nothing for him and the club.

tldr gambling in football can fuck off

football and gambling can fuck right off - its an insidious potentially harmful endeavour dressed up as fun with cuddly Ray Winstone encouraging people to 'have a bang on that' - sport has a long history of such morally dodgy tie ups, with tobacco long being the thing getting publicity from its association with the likes of F1, snooker and darts.

Trippier though has essentially committed insider trading, if he encouraged his mates to pile into a stock as he knew a takeover was coming they'd all get done for it - they may only be ripping off bookies but if their bets were on the Betfair exchange then its a real punter on the other side getting fleeced.

2 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I don’t think that he encouraged it. And as pointed out, who can he tell? If his wife is applying to change schools, what is stopping someone put two and two together?

even so you couldn't tell your mates your listed business was about to get bought by Google in a few days and it was so exciting but 'mums the word', but do accept that football isn't quite as clear as that example, but the point stands that financial loss will be felt by either a bookies (boo hoo) or an individual on a betting exchange from privileged information.

And remember Orient didn't forfeit because of COVID. They forfeited because their opponent didn't want to rearrange the game.

So I assume if Everton just say "Oh we'd love to but we're a bit busy sorry" they'll be awarded the win.

17 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Tut tut, this is City not Leyton Orient. Expect as much consistency in the application of these rules as there is with VAR. 

Kyle Walker is one of those currently positive and he's broken lockdown several times without punishment.

Anyway - Amazon Prime currently showing a clip of a handball against Leicester that if VAR had picked it up, everyone would have thrown their hands up in the air in disgust.  And they are saying that VAR should have caught it.  Even as someone whose club was mightily fucked over by the officials* yesterday, to give it would have been ridiculous.

*The VAR official is the actual ref as well!

12 minutes ago, bradigor said:

This is only going to be the first of many. League will not be completed 

I can’t imagine there ever being more than a few weeks of temporary suspension. I guess the issue is the Euros so there has to be a hard date for the season to end. But surely UEFA aren’t planning to go forward with a continent wide international tournament? 

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I can’t imagine there ever being more than a few weeks of temporary suspension. I guess the issue is the Euros so there has to be a hard date for the season to end. But surely UEFA aren’t planning to go forward with a continent wide international tournament? 

You’d like to think there are contingency plans but UEFA will probably stick their heads in the sand and offer no alternative.

Wouldn’t mind domestic leagues being completed, then European games being played in a short window afterwards in one location like last season. Obviously unlikely with an international tournament also in the calendar but might have made more sense than travelling during the remaining part of the season, putting more sides at risk.

Really enjoyed that game, an excellent point for Villa who played for 50+ minutes with ten men on boxing day and are totally down to the bare bones when it comes to available players.  Chelsea have a lot of quality individuals and could afford to bring £110m worth of forwards off the bench to try and nick the game but there's just something about our team spirit right now.  It's a hell of a difference from the vast majority of the previous decade. 

Just now, Naysonymous said:

Really enjoyed that game, an excellent point for Villa who played for 50+ minutes with ten men on boxing day and are totally down to the bare bones when it comes to available players.  Chelsea have a lot of quality individuals and could afford to bring £110m worth of forwards off the bench to try and nick the game but there's just something about our team spirit right now.  It's a hell of a difference from the vast majority of the previous decade. 

It's a testament to the quality of our season that I felt before the game, we were slight favourites for that game. Night and day Vs. last season.

12 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Cheers! Great help.

11 hours ago, Timmo said:

I'd have him over Dr Bruyne right now, which is crazy. He's been a revelation.

I couldn't care less. I've asked do you think he is the best midfielder in the premier league.

11 hours ago, spork said:

You're really showing up how stupid and ignorant you are. :lol:

For a start we could look at goals and assists where he ranks third out of every player in the top 5 leagues in Europe since he signed for United. I'd argue that goals and assists are probably some of the most important stats for an attacking midfielder, although I'm sure you'll find some reason why g+a doesn't matter at all.

You also didn't even bother to answer which club you've decided to support this season. 

Edit: To clarify, I don't think any United fans (certainly not on here or Reddit, I'm sure you can find some on Twitter) have been saying Bruno is the best midfielder in the league. This is something you have constructed in your own mind through lack of reading comprehension. Has he been fucking brilliant and done exactly what we needed from him since he signed almost 1 year ago? Yes he has! Are there more rounded/better midfielders in the league? Of course there are! Does anyone else care? No.

Apparently I am stupid when all I said was: You probably think Bruno Fernandes is the best midfielder in the premier league. You went on a really triggered rant, trying to prove his worth when actually I really don't care. Did I ask how good he was? No. I asked if you could show me some stats to prove he was the best midfielder in the premier league... You haven't done that. I really didn't want to see some stats from a wikipage about how many goals and assists he has in the last 44 games or whatever the fuck. Half his goals are penalties that other people have won/shouldn't have even been given... Is he the best Midfielder in the Prem? No.

I support QPR and have for about 8/9 years now, thanks for asking.

Maybe you should try and work on your lack of reading comprehension and actually see what I've put down. I really didn't ask you to get his Chorizo in your mouth and spew love out of your bum about him, but carry on if it makes you happy, mate.

P.S. don't get a boner because you have 8 little internet hearts on your post.

9 hours ago, dizogg said:

If he’s so stupid and ignorant why are you engaging with him? You sound triggered. 

Ive been triggering him for almost ten years now :sherlock: