The General PC Gaming Thread

I thought there should be a thread for smaller PC games that don't really require a thread of their own. If people think the Steam thread should serve as the catch all for PC gaming I'll get this merged into that but I thought I'd see if anyone else wants to chip in with some random games they're playing.

Bartlow's Dread Machine

An odd 'on rails' twin stick shooter. On rails in the sense you have to follow the slot on the ground as the setting is a clockwork machine. It's fun, but if you're playing on pad you have a button dedicated to reflecting incoming shots which is on A and can't be remapped, so you have to take your finger off the aiming stick and has accounted for some unfair (and deadly) hits. Early access so we'll see where it goes.

Necronator: Dead Wrong

Flavour of the month deck building strategy game, but it's basically and RTS/tower defense with cards. I'm really enjoying it at the moment, but not put too much time into it to see how the card synergy is.

Othercide

Goth X Com. I like this a lot even though I suck major amounts of balls at strategy games. It has an interesting timeline mechanic where you spend Action Points to perform movements or attacks and some of these put you somewhere along the time line, which could put you behind enemies turns. There's a mechanic like this in Battle Chasers and I think it's dead smart. I'm reviewing this for MHG (I'm not the most current reviewer, shit takes me ages) but it's got a lot going for it.

• Upvote 6

Yeah, I'm a complete noob at these types of games so I'm pretty limited in knowledge. There's some cool interactions with the actions you can take, like hitting an enemy that targets an ally, delaying their moves to further down the time line, locking them in position so you can get a flank bonus with another ally. It's pretty rad and a bit mindbending for me.

I've got Othercide on my wishlist, but I'm wary that the artstyle will grate on me after a while; I don't mind a bit of stylised black and white (Limbo and large parts of Inside for example) but the levels there had a bit more character; Othercide looks a bit, I don't know, bland? Is that being massively unfair?

No I share the same concern tbh. It's all very natty looking, I'm not too far into it so I don't know if there's anything to break it up later on. It does keep in with the themes and what have you of the game, but it also takes itself and the lore very seriously so that might be more of a concern than how it looks.

3 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Ooh, thank you! That does look fun. I'll have to give it a try.

You played Gunfire Reborn? That's really good.

Give the ULTRAKILL demo a go too, you should get a kick out of that.

Oh, and Nightmare Reaper is a blast.

It is soo good and just utterly addictive. I've got Gunfire Reborn on my radar but trying to avoid too many Early Access games. Just downloaded Ultrakill but waiting for the kids to go to bed :) I'll check out Nightmare Reaper, that's a new one on me.

In related news, I'd give Hellbound a skip. Looks the part but is over in less than 3 hours and has no real variety in weapons or enemies. https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/08/04/hellbound-review/

• Upvote 1

Golftopia - management sim with tower defence to protect from the weeds. 

Really enjoying this early on. Needs some updates with controls. On Cities Skylines for example you use Q / E to rotate the camera. On this you need to press the scroll wheel in (or middle mouse) and move the mouse. 

• Upvote 2

I've put some more time into Othercide and I'm yet to entirely fuck up and lose my squad. It's got some interesting mechanics (again, noob at this type of game so may be not that unique) like if you want to heal one of your Daughters you have to sacrifice one of equal or higher level. They also imbue the healed Daughter with a random stat bonus. I'm really enjoying it.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, earlymodernsteve said:

It is soo good and just utterly addictive.

Ah man, you've hit on a winner there.

I know what you mean about the gunplay being so tight! The headshot hitboxes are pretty generous and it just works so well, keeps the pace up, you feel like such a badass when you get a rhythm going. Bang! Bang! Bang!

having a bit of trouble seeing the little flying spaceship enemies at the minute but I'm assuming I'll get used to that.

An epileptic fit seems like pretty harsh punishment for dying, but other than that, it's banging!

edit: Yeah, I wasn't feeling hellbound either. I sort of enjoyed the arena mode demo, but yeah, the single player was boring so I didn't bother.

I'm experimenting with mixtape madness now on Post Void. Got Winamp playing my library on shuffle and each 'life' is a new track. Trying to work out what genres fit best. Works really well when it throws up a song you really want to listen to and you have to focus on not dying :)

It”s an older game but I keep on wanting to pick up ‘They are billions’. I just wish it wasn’t always so expensive. It’s not the usual type of game I play hence the reluctance to fork out full price, but the setting (and seeing loads of zombies on the screen!) appeals enormously.

I played The Coin Game for a hot minute. Your interest will hang on the following questions:

Do you like spending hours on coin pushers at Haven caravan sites during the height of summer?
Do you miss going to arcades? Not like Japan, but the ones along the coast of England that don't have arcade machines and are full of claw games and Stacker?
Do you like the idea of getting hopelessly addicted to lottery scratchcards?
Did you like comically janky, yet very charming games developed by a single developer, in the same vein as My Summer Car?

If so, The Coin Game is right up your alley.

For a measly SEVEN QUID, this game will give you the delights of attempting to survive a suburban US apocalypse that revolves around eating nothing but crisps, rummaging bins for unscratched lotto, and not getting beaten to death by the local robot street gang that loiters the pawn shop when you just want to fucking hand in some empty cans of coke for a couple of bucks. The reward? Bumper cars at the local carny fair, or another of the 40+ attractions that one very mad family man built.

There's also an unlimited 'Birthday Mode', but that's for fucking cowards. Real men wrestle robot children into their charging cradles and clean up their fucking toys for $20 to spend on virtual whack-a-mole. Did I mention that everyone in the town other than you is a robot and all voiced by one guy?

THE COIN GAME. Also known as the only game that blue-screened my computer because I was having TOO much fun with it. And nothing to do with coding.

Edited by Siri
I made a typo because I was TOO EXCITED to post about The Coin Game.
  • Upvote 2
38 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Woah, how do you do that? Is it a mod or something?

Just turn the music off in Post Void, have whichever media player you use running in the background and use universal hotkeys to skip track when you die :) It's Alt + F12 on my keyboard. Made for an amazing jump between a surprisingly moving Marvin Gaye 'Let's Get It On' run with a quick burst of 'Uncle Fucker' from South Park. 

7 hours ago, JoeK said:

It”s an older game but I keep on wanting to pick up ‘They are billions’. I just wish it wasn’t always so expensive. It’s not the usual type of game I play hence the reluctance to fork out full price, but the setting (and seeing loads of zombies on the screen!) appeals enormously.

I really don't like how this game just fucks you. It's almost certainly me being shit but I tried a good 10 or 11 times to get off the first 'campaign' scenario and failed each and every time. That's not fun to me. If I could gift you mine I would. However, I know @Sirloin has put like 1200 hours into it so he'd tell you different :P

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

It is soo good and just utterly addictive. I've got Gunfire Reborn on my radar but trying to avoid too many Early Access games. Just downloaded Ultrakill but waiting for the kids to go to bed :) I'll check out Nightmare Reaper, that's a new one on me.

In related news, I'd give Hellbound a skip. Looks the part but is over in less than 3 hours and has no real variety in weapons or enemies. https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/08/04/hellbound-review/

Thats a shame, I was going to suggest Hellbound as it came up in my recommended games list on Steam

54 minutes ago, simms said:

Thats a shame, I was going to suggest Hellbound as it came up in my recommended games list on Steam. 

It's playable enough but I'd wait for it to be on a bundle or on sale. The devs are promising more content so it might be worth it in a few months. 

Waiting on a review code for BPM which looks awesome. 

• Upvote 1

The campaign for They Are Billions is pretty shit. The game is designed around having access to the full tech tree and the campaign strips all that away to create a persistent progression system, so early on you just don’t have access to the majority of your arsenal and I think it really suffers from that. The levels also just aren’t that interesting. 

That said, the survival mode is brilliant and well worth playing. My advice would be to try and stay away from researching the ideal way to play because experimenting is a large part of the fun and (for me at least) once you’ve found what seems like the optimum way to play it starts to become a little repetitive. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, simms said:

Thats a shame, I was going to suggest Hellbound as it came up in my recommended games list on Steam

17 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

It's playable enough but I'd wait for it to be on a bundle or on sale. The devs are promising more content so it might be worth it in a few months. 

I bought a 3 pack of Hellbound so if anyone wants a copy for £7 let me know!

• Upvote 2
57 minutes ago, spork said:

I bought a 3 pack of Hellbound so if anyone wants a copy for £7 let me know!

I'll be up for that.  Let me know how to pay you

1 hour ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Oh yeah, I stuck that in my wishlist just the other week, looked really good.

Keep us updated on that if you're allowed.

I felt the same about they are billions. It seemed to always eff you over at the last minute and it was a long slog getting there so it just burned me out after a while.

So, while PSO2 and Fall Guys were both down, I decided to load up Verlet Swing, due to getting it in Humble Choice this month with Yuppie Psycho.

Somehow, after beating two of the worlds, an hour had passed and I didn't even realise that the servers were open again for the games I was waiting for.

Game looks real cool - Not only does it have that nerd-fresh Macintosh Plus aesthetic and a crisp VHS filter over it, but the game is pretty clear on grapple points and is capable to render all the detail you need while throwing yourself very, very fast across levels. Works with pad right out of the gate, decent but unrequired detail settings, all that good stuff.

Game has that same sort of chaotic fun as Clustertruck, but the core mechanics of the grappling hook and the gravitational pull of flinging yourself at different angles and rope lengths  allows you to take massive liberties with the level design and really nail how you want to complete a level. 

That, and doing an angled grapple in order to catch the next grapple point, which ends up with you barely missing the floor while you're hurtling towards it as the game adds a rushing wind sound effect as you're hitting maximum velocity as absolutely a wonderful feeling.

Superb. I can't believe this has evaded people on the forum since 2018!

• Upvote 1

I need some advice regarding Othercide and Xcom-like TBS games as I'm pretty rubbish at them. Is it common to grind away at early missions to level characters up? The game has an almost rogue-like method to it that doesn't really seem to serve any function. Each run up to a boss is called an Era. Each Era has x missions in it. Every time you fail a boss or reset and Era willingly you start all over again with new units (you can get the ability to ressurect previous units) but the fights before the first boss are trivial, but they seem necessary to get the sufficient level to move onto the next era and the next boss. If you used the ability to skip the first boss I'm pretty sure you'd get stomped into oblivion.

TL;DR I think I'm missing why this game is getting such good word of mouth when a lot of the early game is meaningless grind. Am I wrong?

Most TBS games will have a defined story arc and progression, so grinding isn't really a thing in general. It sounds like Othercide is really trying to mix things up with that structure though so comparisons to other titles is probably unfair on them.

• Upvote 1