rllmuk
Anastrophe

bringing my gaming with me - in a suitcase (80's)

Did you every bring your gaming world on holiday with you?

From the age of 10 every summer, and probably most Easter holidays, I spent my holidays with my family in Scotland - travelling up via train, plane and even bus on the odd occasion. 

This usually involved bringing my computer, console, computer - probably in that order, with me. In fact I remember buying (read my Mum purchasing) the launch edition of Computer & Video Games (C&VG) in Euston station back in 1981 and being totally amazed at the world to come (it had free puzzle game with rotating wheels on the cover IRC).

I'm pretty sure that my first trip up north involved taking Bugbyte's Mazogs, Silversoft's Star Trek and Automata's Can of worms (my first ever game/software purchase  - bought at the first ever ZX Micro Fair held at Southbank Polytechnic)

Over the years remember I packing my BBC Micro with its tape recorder (not being sure that my cousins would have a tape deck that worked) and then floppy drives into a suitcase.

• Upvote 6

No, I never did that.

However, my Game and Watches, and later Game Boy went just about everywhere I went for many years.

I took my Atari ST and a small TV with me when we went on a short break to Mount Zomba in Malawi. I remember thinking there would be nothing to do there so I'd better be prepared. Iirc it was over the President Day long weekend when everything shut.

Does that count?

• Upvote 1

I used to stay at my Auntie and Uncle’s on a Friday night and I’d often take down my ZX Spectrum with me (in a carrier bag!) I also remember going with one of my friends to his Gran’s house for a week and he took his Spectrum, tape deck and portable TV up with him because he knew there would be little to do when it was raining! It’s crazy to think that my son just takes his switch and he’s got the ability to have multiplayer on a single (albeit small) screen! 

I used to have a carry case for my SNES that I took to my dads at the weekends and to my nans if I stayed the night. 

E41C242B-EB67-4417-B063-92FC27A18390.thumb.jpeg.ed5c7fe66c744376ee9a3916c710a8d0.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 7

Not quite the same, but I do remember from a couple of magazines the "arcade game in an aluminium suitcase". For example, Commodore User gave a Renegade suitcase away in a competition associated with Zodiac Mindwarp...

At least once I insisted on bringing the Amstrad CPC on holiday. We would go away in a caravan for a few weeks at a time, so it wasn't THAT ridiculous... probably.

• Upvote 1

I'd stay with cousins in Swanage, Dorset at least once a year. After I got it, my SNES would always go with me, though the has a Megadrive at the time. And a Spectrum then a C64 prior to that.

On 02/08/2020 at 09:09, acidbearboy said:

I used to have a carry case for my SNES that I took to my dads at the weekends and to my nans if I stayed the night. 

E41C242B-EB67-4417-B063-92FC27A18390.thumb.jpeg.ed5c7fe66c744376ee9a3916c710a8d0.jpeg

image.jpeg

We had one of those cases! My parents used to actually encourage myself and my brothers to take the SNES on holiday with us so we wouldn't keep badgering them for change to use in the arcades.

On 02/08/2020 at 09:09, acidbearboy said:

image.jpeg

As soon as I read the topic title I thought of this. Don't think it ever left the house but I remember having one of these cases. Was always a massive faff getting all the wires in. Probably still have this in a cupboard somewhere.