Which console do you think you'll get first next gen, PS5 or Xbox Series X?

Which console do you think you'll get first next gen, PS5 or Xbox Series X?  

360 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What concerns me with Gamepass going forward is how it will affect MS’ first party games, I can envisage the likes of Halo and Forza becoming GAAS ten year projects to tie customers into the subscription as they drip feed content, so Halo will be a bare bones campaign as they add more modes and DLC over time. It’s just not financially viable for them to produce expensive play once AAA games such as God of War or Last of Us pt II when they are essentially giving them away at launch, and to be able to produce enough of them to keep customers subscribing. 

Microsoft just spent literally billions acquiring a number of huge new studios, and have been very open about their plans - they are looking to have one large flagship first-party game pass release a quarter, and they've openly stated it may take a year or two for them to get the studios running in a way that can support this.

29 minutes ago, spanx said:

That’s not true though. It’s true to don’t physically own anything, but you’ve had those experiences and that’s really what matters. It’s like saying “I’ve spent £1000 on that holiday and I have nothing to show for it”. 

Game Pass seems almost too good to be true. I wonder how sustainable it is in the long term, not just for the first party studios but also what I assume, like Spotify, is the slim pickings for the third party publishers and small studios that actually make the games that prop it up. Netflix isn’t sustainable (they survive through growing the subscriber base), Spotify has not been good for artists. £130 per year if you’re rinsing the service, after MS take their cut, doesn’t leave much. It’s an astonishing amount of value for gamers though. 

Anecdotal reports from game developers are that game pass is very generous. They get an upfront fee plus additional fees based on number of people playing / hours played.

That's not to say that if MS became dominant they wouldn't suddenly revise the terms.

9 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Anecdotal reports from game developers are that game pass is very generous. They get an upfront fee plus additional fees based on number of people playing / hours played.

Yeah I’d assume it must be reasonable given how many games are on it. It will be interesting to see how sustainable it is in the long term though. More time spent in Gamepass == less money flowing around in general. Not saying it will have a negative impact, but it will cause a shift. 

I wonder if it’ll end up being tiered/metered in some way. 

10 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

To put things in perspective.......

If the Series X does well and lasts for the next 10yrs then, a Gamepass sub, through that period, would cost almost £1000. You would not have any games to show for it at the end of the gen and would have to resubscribe to play the same games on the next gen console.

£1000 would get you 20 physical full price games. Using sales you could probably pick up more like 100 for the same price. You can then resell them and make money back to buy more games. You still have all of your games you’ve bought going forwards to next gen and don’t need to spend anymore money to re-play them.

You do realise these two things aren’t mutually exclusive with Series X?

If you want to Gamepass it all the way and have that huge library, you can.

If you want to buy the odd blockbuster, trade in, or pick things up cheap in the sale, you can.

AND, if you want to do a bit of both, you can.

Seems like the best of all worlds to me. All they need is for their studio acquisitions to start pumping out games now and the future is looking good.

10 hours ago, Fargo said:

Sony’s approach of big blockbuster single player titles over loads of B list titles on game pass.

This is a fallacy as well. I can’t find it now, but someone posted a big list of the games they’ve played over the last year on Gamepass and there are some massive titles on there. Stuff like RDR2, for example.

It seems like MS need to market it better, if people think it’s just B tier stuff on there.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

This is a fallacy as well. I can’t find it now, but someone posted a big list of the games they’ve played over the last year on Gamepass and there are some massive titles on there. Stuff like RDR2, for example.

It seems like MS need to market it better, if people think it’s just B tier stuff on there.

That's true. I guess for me I had already purchased the big titles on release and they later came to GamePass. 

14 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think it is a Trump supporter-like situation where some people will not want to be converted to a logical assessment of the quality of games on game pass, no matter what evidence is presented. Fortunately, unlike the Trump situation, these people not being willing to consider the possibility of game pass having top quality games isn't going to impact the world in any significant way.

I think the problem is that people who don't use the service are basing their assessment on the 'average' subscription services which have historically been relatively poor quality. Especially for those who mostly play on Playstation where they perceive psnow to be a comparable offering when it is nowhere near game pass quality. Edit: All of the other services are poor in comparison, not specifically just psnow, but ea access, uplay+ etc. Game pass is a luxury offering at the top end of a growing market.

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

I completed Journey To The Savage Planet on Gamepass this morning. I liked it so much I bought the game and the DLC and it'll probably end up on my game of the year list. It's something I would have completely missed out on without GP. It's a great way to sample stuff you wouldn't normally. 

I think this is exactly it. With the traditional model, it's very easy to get stuck in a rut and just buy "sure bets", especially when games are £50 a pop - and that means you end up buying more or less the same type of game over and over again, or stick to sequels and franchises. There's a reason why so many of Sony's big titles are third-person action-adventure games, I'm not saying they're not good but they're immediately recognisable.

With GamePass people try stuff they'd never have touched. I've been playing loads of Gears Tactics lately, I absolutely loathe the main Gears series but this is bloody great. I'd never have bought it, sight unseen. I suspect plenty of other people have discovered off-beat titles like Savage Planet, Outer Wilds and Void Bastards through the service. I envy people who've got into the Yakuza series for the first time this year. I'd take Ori as a franchise over half the Sony titles any day of the week. I started Nier: Automata yesterday and that looks completely insane in a very fun way, again I'd never have bought that. And so on.

It's made me realise that most of the time when I pick a game to play it's not because I specifically want to play THAT GAME RIGHT NOW but because I'm in the mood for e.g. a big story-driven game or something light-hearted or something with action or really whatever I happen to be in the mood for. Previously I'd have bought something that looked good that matched my mood. Now with GamePass I always have a range of options available and I can jump from one to the next any time I feel like it. I don't curate a hand-picked collection of physical titles with the aim of selling them on years later, like most people I buy stuff digitally, play it and move on - so the transient nature of this really doesn't bother me at all.

It's a brilliant service, it's basically caused me to switch my main platform from PS4 to Xbox One X halfway through a generation, and it'll almost certainly keep me locked in to the Xbox ecosystem next gen too. Frankly there's no way a handful of slick first-party Sony titles can really compete.

To be honest, I love Gamepass, but I’d also love for MS to have a library of those big third person single player adventure games that Sony’s studios are so good at. I think that’s really the only thing they’re missing now, so I hope they start making some.

We only have a console in the house this gen as my daughter was given a OneS.  I've been happy with PC /Steamlink since the PS360 era. 

The Xbox came alive with Gamepass though.  Being able to try wide variety games for a relatively small cost is just amazing. 

I'd always intended to buy a PS3 and then a PS4 for the exclusives. Despite being fine games they've never been appealing enough to invest in a PlayStation.  There's so much I can play elsewhere I'm not lacking for entertainment.

So, may end up with a Series X (or Lockhart) to have a slicker Gamepass experience and potentially not bother upgrading my PC to the next generation.  

27 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I think it is a Trump supporter-like situation where some people will not want to be converted to a logical assessment of the quality of games on game pass, no matter what evidence is presented. Fortunately, unlike the Trump situation, these people not being willing to consider the possibility of game pass having top quality games isn't going to impact the world in any significant way.

I think the problem is that people who don't use the service are basing their assessment on the 'average' subscription services which have historically been relatively poor quality. Especially for those who mostly play on Playstation where they perceive psnow to be a comparable offering when it is nowhere near game pass quality. Edit: All of the other services are poor in comparison, not specifically just psnow, but ea access, uplay+ etc. Game pass is a luxury offering at the top end of a growing market.

This is a bit much. There are multiple good reasons why someone might not value Gamepass in the same way you do. It’s not automatically disingenuous, ignorant or idiotic. I have Gamepass on my One X and I can absolutely see that, if your gaming habits are in tune with it, it’s wonderful value. But to be honest I don’t get as much value from it as I expected. I thought it’d lead me to play a wider variety of games but in fact I’ve found there’s a reason I don’t play things like Ace Combat. I don’t have the time and I’d rather spend it with things I love at the time I choose. That’s not an attack on Gamepass - it’s just a very personal and perfectly reasonable preference.

Am I the only one who is committing to get both at launch because of impact of the Covid restrictions? 

I've probably expressed that poorly but I've continued on working as normal through the whole lockdown while the amount of things I would normally spend money on has collapsed so I've been saving up money without trying all that hard. 

Holidays? Gone. Might try to book a week somewhere in Ireland during October but I can't see myself getting on a plane anytime soon. I had planned to go to the British or Italian GP this year. 

Weddings and the associated expense? Not this year. 

Cinema or theatre? Gone.

Board games? And invite people into my home? Nope.   

Pub? Still gone. :( 

I haven't even spent as much on magazines and comics as I normally would as the shops simply didnt have them for ages. 

I've spent sod all updating the summer wardrobe either as I can't fecking go anywhere. 

This is all very minor stuff compared to the very real issues a lot of people have had and I know I sound like a spoiled man-child but fuck it, I'm getting each console at launch and taking a few days holidays when they come out. 

15 minutes ago, Hewson said:

This is a bit much. There are multiple good reasons why someone might not value Gamepass in the same way you do. It’s not automatically disingenuous, ignorant or idiotic. I have Gamepass on my One X and I can absolutely see that, if your gaming habits are in tune with it, it’s wonderful value. But to be honest I don’t get as much value from it as I expected. I thought it’d lead me to play a wider variety of games but in fact I’ve found there’s a reason I don’t play things like Ace Combat. I don’t have the time and I’d rather spend it with things I love at the time I choose. That’s not an attack on Gamepass - it’s just a very personal and perfectly reasonable preference.

I completely understand that any individual might not see the value for them personally. We've all played many games that don't deliver for us and there is a very, very small chance that everything on game pass falls in to that category for any one individual. I also understand that some gamers only really play one or two games and therefore, a multi-game subscription service isn't for them. Someone who only plays fifa, or fortnite, for example, is going to get zero value from any game subscription service or any game purchase that isn't the game that they play. However, to dismiss Game Pass as having poor quality games is ignorant at best, exactely as it would be if people believed that all Nintendo or Sony produced games were of poor quality.

It reads like you aren't dissmissing the quality of game pass, but are in one of the groups where it doesn't add value to you, personally, so I don't think I'd consider you to be in the group of people that will never accept that a game subscription service will be of good value and quality.

Honestly, its no different to the early days of movie and music subscription services where some people decided that because their favorite album was not on there, but was sat on their shelf, ready to pop in the cd player, the subscription services were of poor quality.

I'm very much considering a switch to Xbox with the way Game Pass is shaping up. I'm surprised there aren't more here thinking the same.

Better exclusives doesn't really stack up for me, the only one this generation I consider essential is Bloodborne. And maybe MGS5 (edit - for some reason I didn't think this was on Xbox!)

16 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I'm very much considering a switch to Xbox with the way Game Pass is shaping up. I'm surprised there aren't more here thinking the same.

Better exclusives doesn't really stack up for me, the only one this generation I consider essential is Bloodborne. And maybe MGS5.

I thought MGS5 was on gamepass recently? Might have just imagined that though

2 minutes ago, Muz said:

It was. Then they took it off and added it as a Games with Gold game if memory serves. 

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

Microsoft just spent literally billions acquiring a number of huge new studios, and have been very open about their plans - they are looking to have one large flagship first-party game pass release a quarter, and they've openly stated it may take a year or two for them to get the studios running in a way that can support this.

Yeah that’s cool, and when I see something I like the look of I’ll say so, but so far there’s nothing. Nothing in that presentation would make me want to subscribe to Gamepass or buy a new Xbox. 

3 minutes ago, Muz said:

1 minute ago, mdn2 said:

It was. Then they took it off and added it as a Games with Gold game if memory serves. 

Ignore that bit, for some reason I thought it was an exclusive!

4 hours ago, Revival said:

ok

PS5 plus four launch games (£500 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 50) £700

Series X plus ten launch games and a six month Game Pass sub (£500 + £36) £536

Or you could just not buy either and save all that money while still getting all the same ten launch games. 

Aren’t we all overlooking the fact you could buy a PS5 and also subscribe to Gamepass without even buying an Xbox? That way you never need to miss out on anything. 

5 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

It’s not a straw man argument at all. It’s me pointing out that subscription based services aren’t as good value as they first appear. You are paying your money and getting nothing back to show for it AND screwing yourself over in the long run.

If I spend £8 on a 1 month sub to a service then cancel.......I have NOTHiNG to show for my money. I can’t play the games anymore. I can’t lend them out or borrow them. I can’t sell them on and get any money back. I then have to subscribe and pay more money to play those games again. For starters, I don’t even need 100s of games a month. It sounds good, but the reality is most people will only play a handful of titles. Even then, they might not get the most out of those!

I’ve bought 100s of PS4 games and 100s of Switch games this gen. How many have I played and finished? Not many at all, because the choice and massive backlog actually puts me off gaming! I’m far happier having a small library of quality games that I actually get the most out of and play to completion. 

If you think purchasing physical games makes more long term financial sense because you're using them to fund future purchases, then I don't think you've put much thought into the relative cost.

The Last of Us 2 came out a month ago, let's say you bought it at launch for £60. The trade-in value at CEX, today, is £24. So if you decide to trade that in against your next game purchase, you're already 'down' £36 and you can't play it again without repurchasing it.

If that was a MS first party game (or any number of third party games), you could have spent a month playing it, cancelled the Games Pass sub, and still be in the exact same situation for £10 or less. Except there’s a decent chance that the next game you were going to trade TLoU2 against is also on the service, so you just jump across to playing that instead.

Even for cheaper older games it offers better value. I missed Dishonoured 2 when it came out, eventually I picked it up second hand for £20. I still haven't played it. Dishonoured 2 is currently on Games Pass, so I could have saved myself £20 by not buying it physically. I didn't sign up to play that game specifically, but it still would have saved me money. Same for Nier Automata, same for Yakuza Zero, etc.

I understand liking to own things, that why I buy loads of obscure cult films on Blu-Ray. It's also why I still purchase games. Doesn't make subscription services bad value in any way.

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Aren’t we all overlooking the fact you could buy a PS5 and also subscribe to Gamepass without even buying an Xbox? That way you never need to miss out on anything. 

Access game pass through streaming and PC? Possible, yes, but there are still huge question marks around the streaming and what will be included. I've been on the preview and the streaming quality still isn't great and was unplayable for me when I tried again last night. I've also picked up that the streaming service will not necessarily be streaming the next gen versions of the games. Destiny 2 was the only game that explicitly mentioned streaming during the Xbox event, and that implied that the stream version would be a last gen version.

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

The Last of Us 2 came out a month ago, let's say you bought it at launch for £60. The trade-in value at CEX, today, is £24. So if you decide to trade that in against your next game purchase, you're already 'down' £36 and you can't play it again without repurchasing it.

The sort of money-savvy person that buys games, finishes them and trades them in for future purchases would have cashed in TLOU at £36 two weeks ago and definitely wouldn't have paid £60 for it on launch, unless it was one of the special editions which now fetches more used on ebay (assuming the collectors DLC is unused) than it did to buy new in the first place.

To use my example from another thread, I paid £38.95 for Doom Eternal and sold it to CEX after a week for £36. Net loss - £2.95. And i got Doom 64 to keep as a preorder bonus. Doom 64 is £3.99 to buy on PSN, so technically, i was a quid better off and a free game for my trouble.

If you bought Ghost of Tsushima a week ago for £45 and finished it, you could sell it to CEX today for £40 cash right now. 88% of the purchase price back and a weeks worth of entertainment. When you're getting so much of the initial outlay returned, waiting for it to go on sale is pointless. 

Not arguing that subscription services are bad either, but yeah, you can get a lot of seriously cheap gaming done nowadays if you stick with physical copies.

Voted for the black box although when the purchase will be made is anyone's guess, especially given that I've hardly touched video gaming for months now.  No brainer of a decision - i'm totally embedded in the ecosystem and have all my back catalogue, friends, RPG club etc there.    No envy for the PS5 SP exclusives whatsoever.

I was nailed on for getting as XSX at launch but the lacklustre showing this week has shaken my conviction for the first time. Halo Infinite is looking like No Man's Sky or Sea of Thieves bare-bones release with 'check back in a year's time' written all over it.

Oddly, it's probably going to come down to how current and x-gen games are treated on the two platforms, particularly in terms of progression. For example, I have RDR2 partially completed on XB1, and Days Gone half-done on PS4. Given the lack of launch-day essentials on either platform, I can see a performance/graphical boost bringing me back to them (and, in fact, making me delay carrying on with them). On the flipside, there is no way I would buy them again or start them from the beginning.

I have sunk hours into Hitman 2, the progress of which will carry over to Hitman 3, but probably only on the platform I'm already on (XB1).

On the other hand, the recent gaming drout means I can see myself to getting round to the PlayStation exclusives soon - Horizon, Ghost, Lost Legacy and God of War. If they get day-one 60fps patches on PS5, that will be a huge tick in the Sony column for me.

Realistically I'll almost certainly get an XSX but it's much closer than it was a few days ago.

Switch has become my favourite console ever so neither and Switch 2 would be my answer.

I didn’t like either Xbone/PS4. The former was a fuck up from start to finish. MS definitely wanted to push a Kinect come media box as the future of gaming before realising the obvious that people actually want a gaming console to game on. So after years of dismantling their first party studios and losing some amazing franchises along the way such as Fable and Project Gotham they’ve had to basically rebuild  from scratch again losing all the good work they did from Xbox to 360. Hopefully it bears fruit on the series x like their investment did for the 360. I don’t give a toss about Halo or forza but the other games they’ve shown has piqued my interest more than PS5 has. The Xbox One has an awful home screen and operating system. I hope that’s fixed and MS realise the difference between windows and a console. It’s the only console of the two I’ve owned, mostly used it for  360 games and Skyrim and it suffered badly from lack of exclusives. 

PS4 I’ve never been interested in. Usually Sony have some interesting Japanese centric games but their exclusives have been mostly US centred cinematic adventures that bore me.  The modern FMV game. I’d rather watch a movie.  Shenmue 3 and GOT are the only exclusives I’d want to play on it. Sony obviously think that Astrobot is more popular than it is, which was a very average platform game but got raised up for being a VR. Pretty  ballsy designing a whole console around its aesthetic. Even if I wanted the PS5 I couldn’t actually fit it in my bedsit. It’s a fuckin’ monstrosity though and I’m sure in the year it will get a sleek non astrobot redesign.

With all the 360 and One games I’ve got if MS release at a decent price and have proved to have sorted the list of issues that the One had, have a few good launch titles and is released at a reasonable price I’d opt for it. Much better controller too. 

Still Switch 2.

Xbox series X if I have no other choice. 

I’m quite torn between the two. I’m traditionally more loyal to non-Sony consoles (Dreamcast, Xbox, 360 and Wii) and I was really hoping to be blown away by the MS showcase but I wasn’t that impressed to be honest. That may change as they start to show a bit more gameplay rather than trailers. The backwards compatibility is a good thing. But I’m also interested in VR, and without concrete support from Xbox in that field still, that tips me towards the PS5. Ultimately I’m onto a winner either way, as I didn’t buy a console at all this gen, so I’ll have plenty of current gen titles to fill the void, whichever way I end up going.

On 25/07/2020 at 23:57, Fargo said:

I’d definitely be in the camp that would prefer Sony’s approach of big blockbuster single player titles over loads of B list titles on game pass.

"Do you want strong and 'Station or a Subscription of Chaos?"

The PS4 / Xbox One generation was the first time I didn't buy a console at launch. Driveclub made me cave but until then I hadn't seen anything I really wanted to play. 

When I got a PS1 it was because you could not do Ridge Racer on a Megadrive. New consoles always brought new gameplay possibilities. That doesn't happen any more (apart from VR).  It feels like a new generation of consoles is due but only because TVs went 4K.  Watching those previews on YouTube at 30fps made all those big announcements look no better than PS4 games, so any investment in a new console will have to be accompanied by the purchase of a new TV. I'm happy to stick with my PS4, Switch and Xbox One, finish all those games, explore Gamepass a bit more and complete Mr Driller,  at least until the new consoles have some genuine killer apps, then I can make an informed decision. I still remember being blown away by Squaresoft's 'The Bouncer' on a PS2 demonstration video, only for it to be completely awful when the console came out.  Happy to wait and see this gen.