IGNORED

Which console do you think you'll get first next gen, PS5 or Xbox Series X?

Ketchup

Which console do you think you'll get first next gen, PS5 or Xbox Series X?  

360 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I understand the insane value of Gamepass but I only buy about one or two games per year at full price and don’t play more than ten in total.

I also wouldn’t want to miss games like Last Guardian, Death Stranding, Last of Us II or Bloodborne for the world whilst I genuinely can’t think of an Xbox exclusive that I would regret missing out on.

The concept of an open world Halo sounded just absolutely perfect and could have swayed me, but those few minutes of gameplay shown Thursday couldn’t be more lackluster. I don’t even mind the technical hiccups that much but 343 just can’t seem to conjure up enticing and multi-faceted playgrounds like Bungie can. 

Tl;dr: PS5 it is. 

I’d take full price games of ps first party quality over game pass any day of the week . Indeed that’s exactly what I do . But that’s just me , cos ps exclusives are right up my alley . I can completely understand that not being for everyone , and I feel no compulsion to convert people or undermine their choices . To each their own . Game pass is Undoubtably great value if it delivers for you . For me , I’m happy to pay the premium for the games I want to play . 

7 hours ago, Isaac said:

Would you rather buy DVDs, or subscribe to Netflix?

That's the comparison.

For some people, the handful of games they can only get on Playstation make it worth it.

For many others, it's hard to argue with over 100 games for £10.99 a month (if you want to play on PC too, £7.99 a month if just the console), including every first party and many third party AAA titles day and date, and new third party AA and AAA titles cycling in every month.

The decision is even tighter now, when 95% of third party games are on both - it's literally a handful of games you cannot play on one vs. the other.

There's never been less in it - I think we will see cross play continue to become standard next gen too, so you won't even be limited by what your friends have either.

I’d sooner buy DVD’s. Why would I want to spend £8 per month to watch vast swathes of utter shite that I have absolutely no interest in, when I can pick up some quality, cheap 2nd hand DVDs that I really want to watch. I can then keep them and rewatch them whenever I want, without spending anymore money. I can lend them out to friends. My friends can lend me their DVDs. I can sell my discs on and get my money back. If they’re sought after, I can even make money selling them on years later. 

Who has the time to play 100s of games a month? Only full on gaming obsessives! Most people that buy a console, only buy a handful of games. Buying a handful of games costs a lot less than subscribing to a service for years on end and when all’s said and done, you have something to show for your money!

To put things in perspective.......

If the Series X does well and lasts for the next 10yrs then, a Gamepass sub, through that period, would cost almost £1000. You would not have any games to show for it at the end of the gen and would have to resubscribe to play the same games on the next gen console.

£1000 would get you 20 physical full price games. Using sales you could probably pick up more like 100 for the same price. You can then resell them and make money back to buy more games. You still have all of your games you’ve bought going forwards to next gen and don’t need to spend anymore money to re-play them.

For example - I have a pretty big Dreamcast collection. Some of the games I own are now worth double to triple what I originally paid for them brand new! I can literally make more money back by selling my collection, than what I paid for it in the first place. Lol

Gamepass is just a very clever way of fleecing people for even more money. Microsoft are well aware that a subscription system over X amount of years, will cost the consumer more than buying a handful of games PLUS they are gaining control of your freedom and choice to buy and sell, and cutting out the 2nd hand market which favours the consumer.

I had planned on getting both but not so sure now. The PS5 I’ll certainly pick up on day one. The series x I’m not so sure. I had really hoped Forza 8 would be a launch title but that’s almost certainly not the case now. While I don’t think we’ll get any of the big PS5 blockbusters at launch, Spider man, along with cyberpunk and assassins creed would be more than enough I think to keep me happy, and hopefully there could be a patch for last of us 2 and ghost of Tsushima too (I played them on a base PS4 so will still see nice improvements anyway!) 

I’d definitely be in the camp that would prefer Sony’s approach of big blockbuster single player titles over loads of B list titles on game pass. It’s great to dip in and try stuff you’d never buy and I got it for 1€ upgrade offer but I wouldn’t pay more than a fiver for it. 

*edit* also I feel like the PS5 will offer that true next gen wow factor on launch day. Not just with the games, but the sound, haptic controller, and super fast SSD, and a new OS to go with it. It’s a shame that the series x will have the same OS (although if they can’t even get one OS right what hope have of doing a second! :lol:)

40 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

Gamepass is just a very clever way of fleecing people for even more money. Microsoft are well aware that a subscription system over X amount of years, will cost the consumer more than buying a handful of games PLUS they are gaining control of your freedom and choice to buy and sell, and cutting out the 2nd hand market which favours the consumer.

Did I miss where Microsoft made Gamepass subscriptions mandatory? I mean, what a bunch of bastards giving people a choice. I wonder how much cheaper Sony will make the download only PS5 in order to actually do the things you are saying.

I'll not be bothering with either console unless the next Persona game is an exclusive. I bounced off Sony's first party offerings this gen and I can get all the Microsoft stuff on the PC.

I find the cost argument a bit disingenuous as it’s framed as cheapo Game Pass vs all

games being 60 quid on the PlayStation, as if there wasn’t a virtually permanent sale going on the PS storefront, let alone the continuing existence of a second hand physical market or the games you get with PS Plus, which have included plenty of big hitters at this point.

Also, PS Now does exist - doesn’t have first party day one but Bloodborne’s on there and the third party selection on there has started to reach parity with Game Pass, more or less through the cunning strategy of snapping up loads of games that are also currently on or used to be on Game Pass. Bethesda seems to shuttle its games between both services, for example. 

I can see myself swapping between the two services with short term subs depending on what’s on each one at any given time. 

Game Pass is a good deal for the most part but it's really no reason to buy a new console now as everything will run on the current xbox for the next couple of years. 

Is it normal for both new consoles to be so close and so little to be known about price, launch date, what games will be available at launch? Both companies are notably shy of putting that info out there which makes e think it really is going to be five hundred and ninety nine US dollars. 

8 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

If the Series X does well and lasts for the next 10yrs then, a Gamepass sub, through that period, would cost almost £1000. You would not have any games to show for it at the end of the gen and would have to resubscribe to play the same games on the next gen console.

£1000 would get you 20 physical full price games. Using sales you could probably pick up more like 100 for the same price. You can then resell them and make money back to buy more games. You still have all of your games you’ve bought going forwards to next gen and don’t need to spend anymore money to re-play them.

You only spend £100 a year on gaming? Well done.

Really not feeling inspired by either of them at all if I'm honest. However, I absolutely love a new machine launch day so I expect my non-existent willpower will eventually see me pacing round the living room jumping off the sofa and hanging round the front door like dog every time a delivery van drives by. 

It'll probably be the PS5. I've gone riiiiiight off their big name exclusives but the second tier stuff is generally more appealing to me.

Can't quite overstate how shit I think it looks physically though. I think given the right circumstances - Series X out first, a bit cheaper, easier to get hold of - there's a good chance I'll switch on a whim because I don't want to have to look at a PS5. Either a sign of how shallow I am or just how silly that thing looks. 

24 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Can't quite overstate how shit I think it looks physically though. I think given the right circumstances - Series X out first, a bit cheaper, easier to get hold of - there's a good chance I'll switch on a whim because I don't want to have to look at a PS5. Either a sign of how shallow I am or just how silly that thing looks. 

Neither console looks great to be honest - the Series X is too bulky to fit in most TV units, for example, but then at least it looks like a relatively nondescript bit of stereo / surround sound hardware.

The PS5 looks like the car Homer designed in the Simpsons. And I imagine given the cooling required you won't be able to put it in a cupboard either.

Some people in here have mentioned putting it behind their TV, but given the heat that comes off the back of some TVs, adding a further thing expelling even more hot air sounds like a recipe for disaster.

This will be the first time I only buy one next gen console, and that will be the PS5. I already have a really good PC, so the Xbox seems a bit pointless now, plus I was really underwhelmed by Halo Infinite. The Playstation  just seems to have nailed it recently with their exclusives as well.

9 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

That's not putting things in perspective because you're not including the other ways you can get a subscription. You don't need to pay the full retail price.

1. Amazon UK frequently have buy 3 months get 3 months free offers and they are discounted anyway

2. You can get Game Pass Ultimate free if you use Microsoft Rewards and decide to redeem your points towards 1 or 3 month options.

And if you prefer buying games? We'll anything in the Game Pass list is available to buy with a 20% discount so digital games are cheaper than their Switch and Playstation equivalents.

I’ve played and completed 8 games this year, and only 2 of those have not been available on Game Pass. They Game Pass ones aren’t just any old crap that I wouldn’t pay money for - some of them are blockbusters I just missed out on first time around (Metro Exodus), others are absolute gems I’d never heard really of or bothered with and have ended up being fantastic (What Remains of Edith Finch, QUBE 2).

And there are some great games on there which I would have bought but didn’t have a need to, because they launched on Game Pass, despite being third party - Streets of Rage 4, Carrion, Cross Code.

I got rid of my PS4 Pro months ago to put the money towards a next gen console and I’m honestly surprised at just how little I’ve missed it. Yeah, TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima look great, but I don’t feel like I’m massively missing out or that I’m slumming with Game Pass. Even if I did still have a PS4, I’d probably finish Tsushima or whatever and go straight back to Game Pass.

8 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Look, I understand Games Pass doesn’t appeal to everyone, but this is genuinely one of the worst straw man arguments I’ve ever seen outside of Off Topic. If you’re having to stretch to a decade to make a metaphor of comparable value, you’re reaching.

Nobody who buys into Games Pass and later cancels their sub is going to feel any more hard done by than someone who subscribes to Netflix and cancels after watching a bunch of shows. I buy Blu-Rays but still subscribe to three steaming services. They serve different purposes, I’m not getting ‘fleeced’.

It’s not a straw man argument at all. It’s me pointing out that subscription based services aren’t as good value as they first appear. You are paying your money and getting nothing back to show for it AND screwing yourself over in the long run.

If I spend £8 on a 1 month sub to a service then cancel.......I have NOTHiNG to show for my money. I can’t play the games anymore. I can’t lend them out or borrow them. I can’t sell them on and get any money back. I then have to subscribe and pay more money to play those games again. For starters, I don’t even need 100s of games a month. It sounds good, but the reality is most people will only play a handful of titles. Even then, they might not get the most out of those!

I’ve bought 100s of PS4 games and 100s of Switch games this gen. How many have I played and finished? Not many at all, because the choice and massive backlog actually puts me off gaming! I’m far happier having a small library of quality games that I actually get the most out of and play to completion. 

I’ve just cancelled Apple Arcade. Why? Because it sounds good having shit loads of games for a pittance each month. The reality? I’ve downloaded loads but only played and finished a couple. I’ll never even touch the other 100s on the service and, each month that passes, that pittance of money is building up considerably, so I’m ending up pissing money away on nothing......much like Netflix.......or Amazon Prime.......or Amazon Music etc etc. I’ve learnt that I’d sooner take that dead money and spend it on a few quality games that, I will play and enjoy and get the most from.

If I currently pick up a single game for £8....... after a month I can still play it whenever I want. I can lend it a mate. I can borrow his games. I can resell it and get some of my money back, maybe even make a profit in the future. Not sure why anyone could fail to understand what I’m saying as it’s simple common sense.

How does this all end? There’s a reason Sony and Microsoft have both been trying to push digital download only machines. By making them the norm, you will be locked into their services and forced to pay whatever they want you to pay for shit, however they want you to pay it,  whilst losing your freedom to buy and sell as you please. Which is most definitely not a good thing for the consumer! Like I say, it’s common sense! 

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

Game Pass is a good deal for the most part but it's really no reason to buy a new console now.

ok

PS5 plus four launch games (£500 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 50) £700

Series X plus ten launch games and a six month Game Pass sub (£500 + £36) £536

I completed Journey To The Savage Planet on Gamepass this morning. I liked it so much I bought the game and the DLC and it'll probably end up on my game of the year list. It's something I would have completely missed out on without GP. It's a great way to sample stuff you wouldn't normally. 

PS5 but would pick up an X if they continue with their BC plans. I have a huge slab of OG xbox and 360 games waiting to live again on a modern TV with enhancements. 

@Fully Aspel totally agree with your points and I'm a physical only gamer for as long as they still make them. I bought Streets of Rage 4 digitally as there was no choice. I then spent another £45 on the Signature edition when it came out and it was worth every penny its a terrific game I have and continue to spend hours and hours on. We're already seeing people in the Halo thread saying oh well it looks shit but it's on game pass. Nah mate I'd rather send cash to the developers who make great games so they can continue to make more like them. But I only buy half a dozen new releases a year, I don't have any FOMO, so the game pass model just doesn't work for me. Reminds me of being a teenager with pirate games. Too much choice and never give anything the time it deserves. 

I don't really agree with the Netflix comparison though as physical movies have always been worthless on the resale market. I buy blu rays and have a Netflix sub for the TV and other stuff.

What concerns me with Gamepass going forward is how it will affect MS’ first party games, I can envisage the likes of Halo and Forza becoming GAAS ten year projects to tie customers into the subscription as they drip feed content, so Halo will be a bare bones campaign as they add more modes and DLC over time. It’s just not financially viable for them to produce expensive play once AAA games such as God of War or Last of Us pt II when they are essentially giving them away at launch, and to be able to produce enough of them to keep customers subscribing. 

But on the other hand it’s interesting now that all three platform holders are doing their own thing, each offering up something a little different to the other. 

For me my tastes more align with Sony and Nintendo so they are the ones I’ll focus on the most. I just can’t see MS instilling the same sense of excitement in me as a new Zelda or a new Naughty Dog game, not anymore sadly. 

5 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

If I spend £8 on a 1 month sub to a service then cancel.......I have NOTHiNG to show for my money.

depends if you used the service or not (I’d be interested where you bought GOT for £8 though) - that being the main problem with Apple Arcade for me, I end up just playing slay the spire instead (which is also on games pass, fact fans).

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What concerns me with Gamepass going forward is how it will affect MS’ first party games, I can envisage the likes of Halo and Forza becoming GAAS ten year projects to tie customers into the subscription as they drip feed content, so Halo will be a bare bones campaign as they add more modes and DLC over time. It’s just not financially viable for them to produce expensive play once AAA games such as God of War or Last of Us pt II when they are essentially giving them away at launch, and to be able to produce enough of them to keep customers subscribing. 

I think this is true: sea of thieves shows the way there. I also don’t think they’ve ever created games like the latest God of War or the Last of Us pt 2.

At the same time I think they also will throw out smaller, genre busting or cross over concepts (grounded, minecraft dungeons, gears tactics) and all out weirdness (everwild) that I’d probably not directly pay for but might get addicted to for a fortnight in between the larger games (your halos, forzas, obsidian rpgs) that I’d buy anyway and that would cost as much as the others at full price.

(In the next twelve months, games I’d buy anyway: halo, flight sim, psychonauts 2 - at full price would cover my games pass sub at full price, and of course I haven’t paid anywhere near full price for it: if my pc was a little bit more up to date, and I had somewhere next to by tv to put it, it’d be interesting to wonder whether I’d buy a console till Sony release enough games)

sony do big blockbuster. I’m less sure they do weird boundary pushing outside of media molecule.

19 minutes ago, Fully Aspel said:

It’s not a straw man argument at all. It’s me pointing out that subscription based services aren’t as good value as they first appear. You are paying your money and getting nothing back to show for it AND screwing yourself over in the long run.

If I spend £8 on a 1 month sub to a service then cancel.......I have NOTHiNG to show for my money. I can’t play the games anymore. I can’t lend them out or borrow them. I can’t sell them on and get any money back. I then have to subscribe and pay more money to play those games again. For starters, I don’t even need 100s of games a month. It sounds good, but the reality is most people will only play a handful of titles. Even then, they might not get the most out of those!

I’ve bought 100s of PS4 games and 100s of Switch games this gen. How many have I played and finished? Not many at all, because the choice and massive backlog actually puts me off gaming! I’m far happier having a small library of quality games that I actually get the most out of and play to completion. 

I’ve just cancelled Apple Arcade. Why? Because it sounds good having shit loads of games for a pittance each month. The reality? I’ve downloaded loads but only played and finished a couple. I’ll never even touch the other 100s on the service and, each month that passes, that pittance of money is building up considerably, so I’m ending up pissing money away on nothing......much like Netflix.......or Amazon Prime.......or Amazon Music etc etc. I’ve learnt that I’d sooner take that dead money and spend it on a few quality games that, I will play and enjoy and get the most from.

If I currently pick up a single game for £8....... after a month I can still play it whenever I want. I can lend it a mate. I can borrow his games. I can resell it and get some of my money back, maybe even make a profit in the future. Not sure why anyone could fail to understand what I’m saying as it’s simple common sense.

How does this all end? There’s a reason Sony and Microsoft have both been trying to push digital download only machines. By making them the norm, you will be locked into their services and forced to pay whatever they want you to pay for shit, however they want you to pay it,  whilst losing your freedom to buy and sell as you please. Which is most definitely not a good thing for the consumer! Like I say, it’s common sense! 

I’m a big advocate of buying physical games for some of the reasons you mention - it’s yours and the rights you give up by buying digital don’t seem worth the added convenience. But a subscription is entirely up front about it’s nature. These games are yours for as long as they remain on the service and as long as you keep paying your subscription.

That seems much better to me than “this digital game is yours for as long as we keep the servers running or don’t ban your account, and by the way no refunds and don’t be stupid, of course you can’t sell it or lend it to a friend!”

I don’t get this “nothing to show for it” stuff, either. If you buy digital, all you have to show for it is a list of games you can’t do anything with except play. And the price is about 1.5 full price release a year, which you get included in your subscription, anyway. If you bought full price releases, to use your (slightly odd) ten year analogy, at the end of the ten years you’d have 15 games that you would have got included with the hundreds of others you’d have had access to with Game Pass, anyway.

I'm pretty sure Sea of Thieves doing well in its early days on Game Pass is the reason it continued to be funded and the content added over the last 2 years. Otherwise it may well have died a death at launch. Certainly from what I remember the original project lead had no idea if it had a future at launch, when it was obvious MS had zero faith in what was eventually releleased. 

It's become one of this gen's biggest successes given the time and funding to mature and be fleshed out. I can see this as a new business model for many Xbox franchises going forward. 

It's both good and bad. It looks like Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport will ultimately continue this trend based on the new naming conventions and the apparent development cycles being affected by COVID working practises. Will Xbox exclusives get a reputation for launching poorly ? I expect not as in the future games seen as lacking content will become the narrative and this would affect subs numbers. 

The cynical can accuse GP of allowing barebones games to launch, the fans of GP can cite it as giving devs breathing room to avoid horrific crunch. Both are true. 

PS5. Embedded in Sony’s ecosystem, probably have a subconscious bias (as we all do), prefer their controllers, their UI and frankly, while it’s folly to trust any corporation, I prefer Sony’s approach to gaming.

I fully expected to go MS this new gen, was waiting for Sony to fall prey to sheer hubris (like any good corporation) after their success last gen but they surprisingly haven’t capitulated in it yet.

5 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I'm pretty sure Sea of Thieves doing well in its early days on Game Pass is the reason it continued to be funded and the content added over the last 2 years. Otherwise it may well have died a death at launch. Certainly from what I remember the original project lead had no idea if it had a future at launch, when it was obvious MS had zero faith in what was eventually releleased. 

It's become one of this gen's biggest successes given the time and funding to mature and be fleshed out. I can see this as a new business model for many Xbox franchises going forward. 

It's both good and bad. It looks like Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport will ultimately continue this trend based on the new naming conventions and the apparent development cycles being affected by COVID working practises. Will Xbox exclusives get a reputation for launching poorly ? I expect not as in the future games seen as lacking content will become the narrative and this would affect subs numbers. 

The cynical can accuse GP of allowing barebones games to launch, the fans of GP can cite it as giving devs breathing room to avoid horrific crunch. Both are true. 

sea of thieves would have had paid for expansions and slowly slipped away.

we have lots of single game subs that people pay for, to choose a recent multi-million seller: Destiny 2.