Which console do you think you'll get first next gen, PS5 or Xbox Series X?

Which console do you think you'll get first next gen, PS5 or Xbox Series X?  

360 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 minutes ago, Revival said:

Because you're not getting the best of both worlds, You're getting a PS5 and allowing your Xbox experience to tail off and be determined by an older hardware set with worse frame rates and resolution.

If the Series X is going to be the best place to play the 95% of games released that aren't exclusive then wouldn't that be a better starting point for a console? Especially when you know the BC is reliable, enhanced and works with zero fuss too.

Again it comes down to money, not everyone can afford both consoles at/after launch and this post comes across as xbox fanboyism. Playstation has a lot more games exclusive to its consoles than 5% for one and no one said that you can't ever get an xbox series x later. If you own an xbox now chances are you don't own a ps4, so bigger bonus, you get some/all ps4 titles as BC as well by picking up a ps5. Personally i'd rather have the choice of both consoles titles at the loss of some reflections, slightly sharper shadows/textures and lower frame rates for a year or two than missing out on a whole chunk of games. You can look at games like the Witcher 3 or Doom on switch and say they don't look as good as the big console versions but they're still perfectly playable and look pretty great too. You'd probably be super annoyed to find out my PC has a Gefore GTX 1060 in it rather than the latest graphics card and you know what, it's fine, my games look and play great and i get to play them too and thats all that matters.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

I wonder who’s going to blink first on price?

Absolutely the biggest elephant in the room right now - considering the bill of materials touted, I'm 100% certain that neither companies' respective machines are going to go down particularly well in a post-pandemic environment, regardless of brand loyalty.

12 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Again it comes down to money, not everyone can afford both consoles at/after launch and this post comes across as xbox fanboyism. Playstation has a lot more games exclusive to its consoles than 5% for one and no one said that you can't ever get an xbox series x later. If you own an xbox now chances are you don't own a ps4, so bigger bonus, you get some/all ps4 titles as BC as well by picking up a ps5. Personally i'd rather have the choice of both consoles titles at the loss of some reflections, slightly sharper shadows/textures and lower frame rates than missing out on a whole chunk of games. You can look at games like the Witcher 3 or Doom on switch and say they don't look as good as the big console versions but they're still perfectly playable and look pretty great too. You'd probably be super annoyed to find out my PC has a Gefore GTX 1060 in it rather than the latest graphics card and you know what, it's fine, my games look and play great and i get to play them too and thats all that matters.

Not quite sure it's Xbox fanboyism when I've said the marketing is crap and it seems to send out the wrong message but ok. I guess you're not allowed a preference other than Playstation or 'everything' on tinternet.

You can buy whatever you want, No one has said otherwise.

Personally I don't agree with you on the Switch titles, We're at a point where it's only going to look super dated from now onwards with very few ports able to make the transition.

if you go first you have to go as cheap as you think you can possibly go to try and wrongfoot your rival. Whoever goes first has confidence that their package will be cheapest and most popular.

My bet is Ps5 will announe price first.

Yeah I think PS5 price announce first. Even if Xbox undercuts significantly it doesn't matter, the mass majority will still buy PS5 anyway.

“Not cutting off a generation” and “we believe in generations” is just spin. Both consoles are going to be hoaching with cross-gen software, upgraded re-releases and free updates for last-gen games for the first year, and both are going to have amazing new experiences eventually.

Sony ran out of new first party PS4 software this year and Microsoft hasn’t bothered to produce any software that uniquely shows off their new machine this year. They’re both trying to spin those blind spots as a strategy and a positive. Neither is going to matter in the slightest by late 2021.

20 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Yeah I think PS5 price announce first. Even if Xbox undercuts significantly it doesn't matter, the mass majority will still buy PS5 anyway.

Yep - get the price and launch title list out there and get the preorders racking up - That should be Sony's strategy. As the leader in the 2-horse market the will continue gain more momentum.

If they wait for MS it can put them on the backfoot.

40 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

“Not cutting off a generation” and “we believe in generations” is just spin. Both consoles are going to be hoaching with cross-gen software, upgraded re-releases and free updates for last-gen games for the first year, and both are going to have amazing new experiences eventually.

Yes, I do wonder if MS's whole "no new gen first party exclusives for the first two years!" was simply because they knew they wouldn't have any.

4 minutes ago, Pob said:

Yes, I do wonder if MS's whole "no new gen first party exclusives for the first two years!" was simply because they knew they wouldn't have any.

Surely they'd have just moved everything over if they'd been caught short?

1 hour ago, Lying Cat said:

"Three months in to the release of the new Xbox and PS5 consoles and neither manufacturer has yet announced the price. In order to purchase a console, you are required to make a payment of £5000.00, and the difference will be slowly refunded to you in random sums at random points until the end of the generation".

and  that’s the real reason why you don’t give Sony your credit card details

2 hours ago, Ketchup said:

That's a little bit of marketing hype there, but really it comes down to money at the end of the day right. Xbox series X, lets say £400. But then i potentially need a new 120fps tv to get the 'best out of it'.

Both consoles support 120fps. It’s just that no games on PS5 have been announced which support it.

I don’t expect there will be many games which support it on either platform. As you say, if your >£1000 TV, 2 year old TV doesn’t support it, how what proportion of console owners are going to be able to make use of it?

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Both consoles support 120fps. It’s just that no games on PS5 have been announced which support it.

I don’t expect there will be many games which support it on either platform. As you say, if your >£1000 TV, 2 year old TV doesn’t support it, how what proportion of console owners are going to be able to make use of it?

Dirt 5 on PS5 will apparently. Agree that there probably won't be too many games that support it.

3 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Dirt 5 on PS5 will apparently. Agree that there probably won't be too many games that support it.

They've said the same for Series X. It's coming to Xbox One and I presume PS4 too, so it'll be interesting to see if anything else gets a bump, aside from Framerate (I assume that that 1X and Series X will both be 4k.)

I spent hours of research, drawn up a whole load of charts on excel (Venn diagrams too).

The answer came at enormous cost to my health, my personal life and probably the world.

I'll get whichever one comes out first.

An elegant solution, I think we can all agree.

I'll get both, as I have done this generation. As for which one I'll get first, unless the PS5 is £100 more expensive than the Series X it will be Sony's machine. Seemingly there is nothing coming out solely on the Series X for a fair while, gamepass will keep churning out games that my One X will be great to play them on and the exclusives just aren't there for Xbox. Deathloop and Miles Morales and jazzed up versions of PS4 exclusives are more than enough for me. 

I’m going to get whichever one my gran buys me for Christmas, then spend the entirety of the generation sending in pictures of the console’s mascot chainsawing the other console’s mascot to single format mags; because I don’t have any insecurity about the one I’ve got at all.

@Harsin Why would anyone on here be insecure about their choice of console, when most of us will be getting both?

Serious question by the way, because it definitely feels like that from some posters.

I’m most curious as to how the switch 2, turns out. Still think the Switch has two or three more years on it and by then the technology will be available to make a Switch that just touches upon the lower end of that generation. Like the current switch does. And allows for the Witcher 3s of the next generation to be released on it. 

X series only if the new Fable actually is a fable game. It’s one of my favourite gaming series ever and Fable 2 is one of my favourite games ever. MS in their wisdom completely fucked lionhead and  their best IP because their coked up execs thought the future of gaming was Netflix with some Kinect on the side. 

1 hour ago, JPL said:

@Harsin Why would anyone on here be insecure about their choice of console, when most of us will be getting both?

Serious question by the way, because it definitely feels like that from some posters.

why are you asking a serious question of someone who made a joke post? - he doesn't mean that he thinks some people here are insecure of theur choice - it is a joke based on childhood playground stuff isn't it?

14 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Probably a seriesS if/when they announce that. 1080p is good enough for me. 

can you imagine how funny it would be if the Series S outsold the X by a country mile because of things like DLSS Not needing games to be 4K and therefore managing 60fps too? 

5 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

can you imagine how funny it would be if the Series S outsold the X by a country mile because of things like DLSS Not needing games to be 4K and therefore managing 60fps too? 

it’s dubious that the X has enough ML performance to do a decent DLSS equivalent at 60fps, so a proportionally scaled down S APU certainly won’t have.

4 minutes ago, footle said:

it’s dubious that the X has enough ML performance to do a decent DLSS equivalent at 60fps, so a proportionally scaled down S APU certainly won’t have.

aaah they’ll all find a way to do something almost the same with the GPU they have. Maybe.  

Surely if MS had DLSS they’d use it on both Series S and Series X? So the factor of four GPU power difference between the two machines would still be in evidence, it’d just be used somewhere other than in resolution. And I don’t see how that makes a product that anyone would bother with.

Making a game 1080p instead of 4K is an easy sell. It looks basically the same with the same bells and whistles and the same frame rate (Series S’s CPU is basically the same as Series X). It looks nice in screen shots. It’s just using one quarter as many pixels.

But if you have two consoles both running at 4K because of DLSS, and one of them is one quarter as powerful graphically, what does that look like? Developers aren’t going to want to make a version that looks four times worse, and players aren’t going to want to buy it when they see screenshots.

DLSS took nvidia over a year to get half decent after release and this is a company who has a 1 billion rnd budget and is heavily invested in AI and machine learning - considerably more than AMD I suspect. I wouldn't hold my breath for an out of box solution on the consoles that would be the same. 

That might be confusing: I guess I’m saying that the 4K/1080p gap is the only reason that the Series S exists. Microsoft aren’t going to obliterate that. The two versions of the game will be like a movie on a Blu-ray and a UHD Blu-ray. Same content, different fidelity.

If you use DLSS to obliterate that gap suddenly it’s more like DVD and VHS. Same resolution, enormous image quality difference.

4 minutes ago, Uzi said:

DLSS took nvidia over a year to get half decent after release and this is a company who has a 1 billion rnd budget and is heavily invested in AI and machine learning - considerably more than AMD I suspect. I wouldn't hold my breath for an out of box solution on the consoles that would be the same. 

AMD’s solution just now is something like linearly scaling the image up and applying an edge-enhancement filter, right? A joke.