IGNORED

Forza Motorsport

djbhammer

Technically breaking an NDA but is anyone else on the "June Forza Study?"

And if so, is it actually nothing to do with Forza and just a simulcast of 2 boring people playing the original Halo on Twitch?

Got an email back, apparently it's deliberate. Fuck knows what they think they're gaining by getting a lot of Forza fans to watch people play a 21 year old shooter.

Or more importantly, how many are likely to sign up for your next thing.

• 1 month later...

I never really thought about how the licensing deals effect Gamepass. So basically I lose access to Horizon 4 when the licenses run out. Will they be putting Forza 7 on sale so that those who played it through Gamepass get it on the cheap?

1 minute ago, BitterToad said:

I never really thought about how the licensing deals effect Gamepass. So basically I lose access to Horizon 4 when the licenses run out. Will they be putting Forza 7 on sale so that those who played it through Gamepass get it on the cheap?

Buy the cheapest DLC, you’ll get a token for the full game so you can own it after game pass.

48 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Buy the cheapest DLC, you’ll get a token for the full game so you can own it after game pass.

Yeah, it's not the worst workaround, really. There's usually something pretty cheap to buy.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure what to make of the vids. But my initial feeling is one of being a bit disappointed. Maple valley. 2023. I mean where is the new stuff and why so long of a wait? For me nothing new here. Feel like I'm dissing my favourite racing franchise but I expected something more from a reveal. Oh well. This won't be a reason why I resub to GamePass unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Not sure what to make of the vids. But my initial feeling is one of being a bit disappointed. Maple valley. 2023. I mean where is the new stuff and why so long of a wait? For me nothing new here. Feel like I'm dissing my favourite racing franchise but I expected something more from a reveal. Oh well. This won't be a reason why I resub to GamePass unfortunately. 

Isn't Maple Valley a big favourite and fans were upset when it was missing from a couple of the games? Maybe that's why they decided to go with it in this demo?

15 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Isn't Maple Valley a big favourite and fans were upset when it was missing from a couple of the games? Maybe that's why they decided to go with it in this demo?

Seems to be... But it just gets tedious at times this "by the numbers" thing?! Where is the new? The innovation? The excitement? I mean its FIVE years since the last one. 

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

Also, why drop the sequel number?

why isn’t this FM8?

going GAAS?

I think GAAS (but *free* because of Game Pass) would be perfect.

See @MattyP above. It's been ages waiting for more of the same. Yes better graphics. Yes better physics. Yes better weather. Yes better whatever. But in the end to me it will just be more FM.

It's a sim racing game. What could they do to make your jaw drop? Maybe 20+ player lobbies. Or 40+. But that would be carnage anyway after the initial fanfare.

A supported service means not waiting years to build more tracks or model more cars. Add them over time to keep it fresh. In the background work on the next gen engine and tooling to migrate existing assets across to it with minimal effort (so we don't go from a big library of stuff to nothing every time).

2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

It's a sim racing game. What could they do to make your jaw drop? Maybe 20+ player lobbies. Or 40+. But that would be carnage anyway after the initial fanfare.

Indeed. I guess it's getting ever harder to bring something innovative to the table especially in the confines of a console. So perhaps I'm not the target demographic any more and I accept that. I'll just move on to something that fits what I want. 

Forza did lots of great things when it was first released on the Xbox all those years ago. And I guess there is little left but to refine and polish now.

2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

I think GAAS (but *free* because of Game Pass) would be perfect.

See @MattyP above. It's been ages waiting for more of the same. Yes better graphics. Yes better physics. Yes better weather. Yes better whatever. But in the end to me it will just be more FM.

A supported service means not waiting years to build more tracks or model more cars. Add them over time to keep it fresh. In the background work on the next gen engine and tooling to migrate existing assets across to it with minimal effort (so we don't go from a big library of stuff to nothing every time).

They could make it so that the CPU cars in single player actually race each other, instead of driving round in a procession.

They could also make it online only, which would make my jaw drop with disappointment and frustration, as was the case with Gran Turismo.

4 minutes ago, fat flatulent git said:

They could make it so that the CPU cars in single player actually race each other, instead of driving round in a procession.

They could also make it online only, which would make my jaw drop with disappointment and frustration, as was the case with Gran Turismo.

I often wonder about the AI.

Versus the player it would be amazing if they raced well without driving into you. But then I suspect the average player is so unpredictable on the road that it just doesn't matter. Most people will be struggling to keep a good racing line in all places. Or weaving around overly heavy breaking AI cars. The real need here is finding a way to make an AI that really is your equal. Not artificially slow enough. To go slow the AI mostly breaks too  hard. Players probably break too little. The result is always an odd clash where the player steams up the inside on every turn to pass someone and then struggles to control it and gets passed on the exit.

Them actually racing each other would be great for adding better atmosphere. But it also risks being a bit like "more realistic trees" or "3D crowds". Adding to the experience but doesn't change it fundamentally.

Turn 10 have spent over a decade waffling Drivatars and in reality I've just found them to be more very average and non-descript AI. They could slap my friends names on generic AI and I'd have exactly the same experience I get now right?

I'm glad they're still trying. I do think these games are getting better every time but in the end we've been playing this model of console sim since something like the original GT on PS1. They're so much more refined and better now but in  so many ways it really feels exactly the same to me as when I picked up GT the first time.

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

Indeed. I guess it's getting ever harder to bring something innovative to the table especially in the confines of a console. So perhaps I'm not the target demographic any more and I accept that. I'll just move on to something that fits what I want. 

Forza did lots of great things when it was first released on the Xbox all those years ago. And I guess there is little left but to refine and polish now.

The same argument could be levelled at GT7, there is zero new in there bar the Graphics and physics and yet its the one that has got me back into racing and buying a wheel setup - you could argue in many ways GT7 is a step backwards and yet here I am proclaiming it the only game worth buying a PS5 for!!

It does however have terrible FFB so if Forza does this better then it’s going to be a big deal for me, ive not seen the full track selection but always loved Maple back in the day! Im not sure im ready for PC gaming again, esp the cost but to have two ‘sim’ games on the consoles that push each other to be better is a dream for me!

34 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

The same argument could be levelled at GT7, there is zero new in there bar the Graphics and physics and yet its the one that has got me back into racing and buying a wheel setup - you could argue in many ways GT7 is a step backwards and yet here I am proclaiming it the only game worth buying a PS5 for!!

It does however have terrible FFB so if Forza does this better then it’s going to be a big deal for me, ive not seen the full track selection but always loved Maple back in the day! Im not sure im ready for PC gaming again, esp the cost but to have two ‘sim’ games on the consoles that push each other to be better is a dream for me!

Agree regarding GT7. Enjoying it and it has moved the series on a bit and feels a better game to play than the ones that have gone before. The weather system certainly adds a new dimension to the racing as does the pad to a degree. Generally love the level of detail lavished on GT by Polyphony. However the big lure for my with GT7 going forward will be PSVR2 and how it will he integrated. 

Forza has its place and it's fans. For me the best one is still the third one as it has IMHO the best range of tracks in it. 

4 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

GT7 wise, the PD claim is that they simply turned down the FFB (when they broke it 2 updates ago) and now they've simply turned it back up.

I.... don't agree with that.  It seemed better in general when it was weak (albeit too weak) and worse in others (wrist breaking when you hit a sausage kerb with my settings).

I don't think it's bad, I get enough feel to react, and it feels fairly real..

Forza wise, I wouldn't get your hopes up, I've always found FFB on Xbox to be worse than on Playstation in general, I'm sure I read some potential reasoning for it, but can't find it.  FFB on Forza has been all but unusable for me.

It's been a while, but when I was testing ACC on both platforms, I couldn't get the Xbox one to feel anywhere near as good as the PS one..

What do people want in a racing game that hasn't been done before? Or perhaps was previously done and we've removed/bloated things since?

(I'm thinking the clarity of FH1 vs FH5 for that last bit).