Fable - PlayGround Games - Series X & PC

Well since Capwn couldn't be bothered to update the OP after rushing to post it, I guess it's up to staff. Must be busy in Canada.

Not much info right now. Day One on GamePass.

Spoiler

Just setting this up for later.

This should be locked. Looking away from a livestream while it's in progress and potentially  missing something cool in order to create a new topic related to a just announced game is one of the few acts of true heroism we still have left in this world. 

• Upvote 4

I appreciate this is the actual first announcement, but as the game's existence was already all-but-confirmed by long running, credible rumours I was expecting more than a CGI trailer.

Not a knock on the actual game – I'm still just as interested in seeing what Playground do with it – just feels a bit anticlimactic.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

I'm hopeful that this will be good. I enjoyed Fable 2, but didn't play 3 because I heard it wasn't great. 

Fable 3 was fine, defintely worth a play on Gamepass. Would agree it doesn't hit the heights of Fable 2 though.

I recently retried the original Fable and really struggled to get into it. When it first came out I remember bloody loving it but it hasn't aged well.

1 hour ago, APM said:

That reminded me of that nvidia tech demo from ages ago. 

Dusk, god I hate my brain.

Well, the worst kept secret in games is out.  I’ve seen a lot of friends & ex-colleagues praise it on Twitter, but I’m not feeling it yet.  I’ll reserve judgment until they show something.  I hope they do their own thing with it and don’t just checklist it as a Fable game needs x, y, & z.  I still wish we’d gotten to make the Fable games we were pitching after 3 (Journey started dev while 3 was in dev & was the Milo team not the Fable team) before everything had to be always online (before it didn’t again).  I don’t envy them they stick too close to old Fable there’ll be complaints, they stray too far and there’ll be complaints.  I think they may have been better take the world & the lore and going somewhere new & telling a story there, but no there’s Bowerstone in the background.  I hope it’s good, I don’t wish ill on any dev.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Well, the worst kept secret in games is out.  I’ve seen a lot of friends & ex-colleagues praise it on Twitter, but I’m not feeling it yet.  I’ll reserve judgment until they show something.  I hope they do their own thing with it and don’t just checklist it as a Fable game needs x, y, & z.  I still wish we’d gotten to make the Fable games we were pitching after 3 (Journey started dev while 3 was in dev & was the Milo team not the Fable team) before everything had to be always online (before it didn’t again).  I don’t envy them they stick too close to old Fable there’ll be complaints, they stray too far and there’ll be complaints.  I think they may have been better take the world & the lore and going somewhere new & telling a story there, but no there’s Bowerstone in the background.  I hope it’s good, I don’t wish ill on any dev.

There's nothing to praise, other than the fact it's definitely coming. We know literally nothing else! 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

There's nothing to praise, other than the fact it's definitely coming. We know literally nothing else! 

We know it's not called Fable 4 despite what the cowboy running this topic would have you believe. 

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, bear said:

We know it's not called Fable 4 despite what the cowboy running this topic would have you believe. 

I've seen a couple of places referring to it as a reboot, actually. Not sure where they've got that from. 

Weird to see a non Lionhead Fable game, doesn’t feel right somehow.

Although I wish them all the best, I look back at what we were prototyping, the stunning artwork the art team were producing along with the cool ideas we were coming up with. Then we had to make a MOBA, then something else, then half the team culled then shut for good.

8 years later, let’s make another! Anyway, old wounds and all that.

• Upvote 3

I think the premise of the original game was fantastic and I'd love to see it properly realised with the potential of todays tech. Being a kid in the original was basically a tutorial transitioning to your adult self with the real granularity being with the morality good/evil stuff.

I thought the real promise would have been something that properly split the characters life into a broader spectrum  like: child / teen / young adult / adult / old adult / elder. Then everytime you transistioned from one lifephase to the next the world could change based on the things you'd done. Obviously a massive undertaking in terms of scope but I'd rather see more of this occur in a smaller world than just the ever increasingly vast open worlds we see.

17 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I've seen a couple of places referring to it as a reboot, actually. Not sure where they've got that from. 

Aaron Greenberg said in the post show that it’s a “completely fresh start.”

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Does anyone give a stuff about the Fable lore to start with? The setting was already ultra generic. I played them all and can't remember pretty much anything from the stories in any of them apart from them making a big fuss about you having a dog in, I think no. 2, and John Cleese constantly trying to flog DLC to you in another one of them. So I don't think it will cause much kerfuffle if they just go here's a fantasy kingdom to tool about in, with no real links to the previous games.

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

Does anyone give a stuff about the Fable lore to start with? I played them all and can't remember pretty much anything from the stories in any of them apart from Them making a big fuss about you having a dog in, I think no. 2, and John Cleese constantly trying to flog DLC to you in another one of them. So I don't think it will cause much kerfuffle if they just go here's a fantasy kingdom to tool about in, with bingo big links to the previous games.

Nope, not at all. To be honest, a reboot makes sense, or a prequel, because 3 was basically set during an industrial revolution and if you go much beyond that you'd lose the fantasy roots. 

3 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Fable 3 was fine, defintely worth a play on Gamepass. Would agree it doesn't hit the heights of Fable 2 though.

2 hours ago, CovisGod said:

I don’t know what you’re all jabbering on about, every Fable has been bloody excellent, especially 3 and I for one cannot wait for another one!

I played some of Fable 3 at the time it came out on Games With Gold in 2013, but though I quite liked it, I left it untouched for years.

A couple of years ago I tried restarting it from scratch, but just a few minutes into the game I got stuck in/on top of some solid rock scenery in the underground palace escape section, with no way to escape - a state that persisted upon quitting and reloading. I didn't want to risk a game-breaking bug like that happening after pouring more hours into the game, so I haven't touched it since. In fact I felt a bit relieved that I'd encountered that bug so early, as it made a good excuse to scratch it off my pile of shame with a clear conscience!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, The Bag said:

I don’t get why MS fucked over Lionhead and one of their most successful and prestigious series. It was all part of their general nonsensical cluster-fuck of that era but made no sense to me. I know you’d know more and I’d be interested to hear. 

Fable is one of my favourite videogame series. And yeah as was said the setting is generic but everything else wasn’t, the attempt to make a world directly influenced by your morale choices . Seeing a ruined Oakfield years after siding with bandits in a raid was the only time I felt regret for an action in a videogame. The world that was created showed a deep love for British folklore. It was refreshingly British in flavour in a market over saturated with Americana. 

It will be difficult to recreate by another team. Deviate from the morality, British folklore and overly British fantasy flavour and it’s no longer Fable.

What I’d give for a Switch pimped out update of Fable 2...

I see Gamesradar are running a rumour that this might be an MMO. Surely....surely they wouldn't have Playground making it an mmo after sacking off Lionhead??