Describe the game of your dreams as short as possible

I've been working with software houses for a while now, ordering software that's designed to fulfill very specific tasks. Often when sitting down with the devs we had to brainstorm quite a bit and make a map over must have's, nice to have's and must not have features. 

With video games getting more and more detailed, the idea of what a successful videogame really is can't be easily described anymore, as we are no longer limited by hardware in the same way as during the first few generations of gaming hardware. 

After reading some really controversial thoughts about popular games in the controversial thread, I'd love to get a glimpse of what the dream game of fellow gamers might be like. 

Let's set down some basic rules so that we all describe it in the same fashion (Spoilered to compress post a little): 

Spoiler

Genre

Theme:

Main gameplay mechanic:

Short description ( Tweet lenght if possible) :

Must have:

•  
  •  
  •  

Nice to have:

•  
  •  
  •  

Should not have:

•  
  •  
  •  

Here's mine: 

Genre: RPG/Adventure

Theme: Modernish reality set in the 90s- Non fantasy/sci-fi

Main gameplay mechanic: Open world exploration

Short description ( Tweet lenght if possible) : Your childhood friend who you thought moved years ago seems to be dropping you cryptic messages. What happened to him and why does he send you

cryptic messages instead of contacting you directly?

Must have:

• Proper open world with explorable buildings
  • NPCs with believable AI, they eat, work, sleep, party, get sick etc.
  • Working law system. You can get fined or even arrested if you don't follow the law. 

Nice to have:

• Realistic traffic system
  • Interaction with other players via online play, like Watchdogs 2 (this IS a singleplayer game though)
  • Non-scripted weather system

Should not have:

• Time limit
  • Hidden insta death traps
  • Obscure puzzles

You know my big dream?  it involves Driving Games. - Be they racers, open world or whatever, Having interactive impressive environments.

You get all the big fanfare of " we have accurately mapped everything "   and the scenery is the best yet....  But it becomes just that. -  Scenery.

in most games you can literally crash into or through crowds and trees and buildings..well anything. 
- Or the complete opposite where a person or small bush stops your car dead :lol:

Heres a shot of  Sega Rally Revo ( bit random i know )

revoo.jpg

- Have we REALLY moved on from here?  I say no.

Scenery and the surrounding " world " need to get better in Driving games.    I suppose the same could be said of  Football Games and Golf.

The focus is on the " Thing "  too much.  In the case of Sega Rally above, the cars.  Everything else is tacked on. I'm bloody sick of it!

- How good do some of the places look when you revert to Photo-Mode on these games for sharing on social media?  - VERY GOOD  

Its nowhere near what it looks like once you get back to the game world. Its a bit of a con. 

Genre: Action RPG

Theme: Modern-day, Light-hearted

Main gameplay mechanic: Mastery of elemental affinities and combo strings

Short description ( Tweet lenght if possible) : Take (modern) Persona’s elemental affinity system and integrate it into properties of attacks in combo strings. Also throw social link moments in between action stages, who knows.

Must have:

• God Hand style create-a-combo, but moves have extra properties (buffs, nerfs, elemental effects (a kick that causes fire damage, for example, or a strike that reduces an enemy's attack power))
  • Rather than Persona’s One More system, exploiting a weakness could instigate a stun state, preventing an enemy from taking action
  • However, there have to be limits that prevent a player equipping all elements at once.

Nice to have:

• Character development between dungeons - you can talk to people in the world and depending on your conversations you could unlock stat bonuses or bonus items
  • A means to show how “ready” the party is for the next dungeon, or boss. Whether it’s level numbers over enemies (Borderlands) or a message to show when you’re more powerful than the boss (Half-Minute Hero), anything would be welcome.

Should not have:

• ATB. We’re not doing FFVIIR here.
  • Mindless cleaving through hundreds of enemies, so no P5S chaos.

I’ll always have a fondness for action games that have depth, so something combining that with Persona’s design sensibilities could be pretty interesting...

Naughty Dog space opera. That's it. That's the pitch.

That and a From Software action RPG set on an alien planet with disturbing creatures, the remnants of long gone civilizations, weird fauna and crashed spaceships to explore. Instead of Dark Souls' melee focus, there is an emphasis on modern weapons and gadgets. Dark Souls meets Dead Space basically.

I don't know about setting or story, but in terms of game systems I'd love a 3D open world game that's entirely focused on rewarding exploration. It wouldn't be too big, but it would be packed full of interesting hidden things to find.

The main challenges would be navigating the environment - working out how to access places, finding surfaces you can climb, etc - and discovering new equipment or upgrades to make that easier or open up new areas. There would also be tricky environmental puzzles that you have to solve to acquire the new stuff, and perhaps some cryptic clues lying around to point you in the right direction. You would really have to look at the environment and consider how it fits together to find solutions.

You'd be given an overall objective, then just left to get on with it. You'd have a map and be able to write notes on it. There wouldn't be any other players, but there might be notice boards in certain places where people could pin short notes for others to see. There would be a number of items you need to find to complete the game, but also tons of secrets to uncover.

There would be no combat at all. You'd be on your own the whole time, except maybe for some wildlife that might be incorporated into certain puzzles.

I suppose it would some kind of fantasy world so you could have unusual environments and have a greater sense of mystery as to what you could find. There would also be a lot of lore to discover to help motivate the whole adventure - perhaps something like finding out what happened to an ancient civilisation, but less cliched.

35 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

That and a From Software action RPG set on an alien planet with disturbing creatures, the remnants of long gone civilizations, weird fauna and crashed spaceships to explore. Instead of Dark Souls' melee focus, there is an emphasis on modern weapons and gadgets. Dark Souls meets Dead Space basically.

That's sounds awesome. I want this but with added Cthulu.

Genre: 3rd person Action Adventure

Theme: 17th century England/fantasy

Main gameplay mechanic: Brutal combat

Short description: Hardcore melee-focussed action game with judicious checkpointing and realistically modelled damage when in combat. Think Bushido Blade, with limbs being cut off, and crushing damage. Fantasy elements mainly relate to the quick healing of bad injuries. Not for the faint of heart.

Must have:

High production values

Intuitive controls

High difficulty but relatively low frustration

Nice to have:

60FPS

Should not have:

Lengthy cutscenes

2 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I don't know about setting or story, but in terms of game systems I'd love a 3D open world game that's entirely focused on rewarding exploration. It wouldn't be too big, but it would be packed full of interesting hidden things to find.

The main challenges would be navigating the environment - working out how to access places, finding surfaces you can climb, etc - and discovering new equipment or upgrades to make that easier or open up new areas. There would also be tricky environmental puzzles that you have to solve to acquire the new stuff, and perhaps some cryptic clues lying around to point you in the right direction. You would really have to look at the environment and consider how it fits together to find solutions.

You'd be given an overall objective, then just left to get on with it. You'd have a map and be able to write notes on it. There wouldn't be any other players, but there might be notice boards in certain places where people could pin short notes for others to see. There would be a number of items you need to find to complete the game, but also tons of secrets to uncover.

There would be no combat at all. You'd be on your own the whole time, except maybe for some wildlife that might be incorporated into certain puzzles.

I suppose it would some kind of fantasy world so you could have unusual environments and have a greater sense of mystery as to what you could find. There would also be a lot of lore to discover to help motivate the whole adventure - perhaps something like finding out what happened to an ancient civilisation, but less cliched.

Outer Wilds?

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

Outer Wilds?

OW really should have been my sort of thing, but I really didn't get on with it in the end. I suppose it was having the tight time limit, a lot of instant death and having to restart each time that spoiled it. I want to take time exploring, and feel like I can experiment without being forced to redo a whole section. A shame, because I like the idea of piecing the big puzzle together like that.

Genre: Futuristic Sport

Theme: Based in the 70s

Main gameplay mechanic: Getting a metal ball in a hole

Short description: Two teams battle to stick a metal ball in their opponents goal, played on a banked oval track. The teams consist of roller skaters and motorcyclists.

Must have: Lots of orange and brown, and those fonts that people in the 70s thought looked futuristic with fat rounded corners.

Nice to have: A mini-game where you blow up trees

Should not have: Been remade.

Basically, I've always wanted a video game version of Rollerball. It would probably be rubbish, but from the moment I first watched it as a young lad many many years ago - I thought "videogame".

Hilariously what I want is an actual proper Zombie Survival game. There has not been one that ticked all the boxes to be a true survival sim!

Genre: Zombie Survival Game

Theme: Modern day zombie apocalypse

Main gameplay mechanic: open world realistic survival

Short description ( Tweet lenght if possible) : You wake up and its Zombie apocalypse time. You have to survive that is it. You might join a group they might be bad or good. You might live solo in a cave just raiding resources. So as I play I could end up in the film Night Eats World (totally solo subsistence gritty) OR the more human orientate The Walking Dead. Basically I want to live in the world George Romero created

Must have:

Open world map

Strong Melee combat AND Strong gun combat

Human and Zombie Conflict

Ability to live quietly and try to survive by scavenging or even growing food OR go out and build a community/empire

You must be able to approach this world how you like - think Minecraft but with zombies (and yes I know minecraft has them)

Nice to have:

In the game of my dreams it already has all the nice to haves

Should not have:

NO Special zombies at all - not even shamblers and runners - PICK ONE (and make it shamblers)

NO Compulsory stealth

NO compulsory anything this is as open a sandbox as minecraft is.

Done!

EDIT - Project Zomboid is probably the closest anyone has come although I haven't tried Days gone yet but the overarching story probably means it is nowhere near what I want from the above.

14 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Basically, I've always wanted a video game version of Rollerball. It would probably be rubbish, but from the moment I first watched it as a young lad many many years ago - I thought "videogame".

No it is a brilliant idea - the cast and crew played rollerball on set between takes and on breaks when they were making the film - health and safety madness now and the director was appalled as obviously we are meant to hate the sport.

As for the game I thought that I had seen some 8 bit attempts and my memory was not wrong :D

https://retronauts.com/article/479/the-games-that-are-as-close-as-you-can-get-to-playing-rollerball

a c64 game called Rocketball and an Amig game called Killerball... but neither had motorcycles so we still need your pitch to be picked up by a dev :D

Assassins Creed Empire

An AC game set in Ancient Rome, and her Empire.  Loved the world presented in Odyssey and it would port beautifully to Rome, but with more variety if it could incorporate the geographical extremes of the Empire such as Britain, North Africa, Armenia etc.

Hardly original, I know - but a nerd like me would be in my element if they ever release this.

I'd also love to see a good, ambitious open world Star Wars game.