The funniest moment in The Simpsons history

My son's best friend in primary school was named Joseph. The boys in his class called him Joey, and the girls in good class called him Jo-Jo.

He didn't get the reference when I greeted him with with 'Hey, Joey Jo-Jo'.

I also use 'my father still has my nose' more times than is absolutely justified.

On 22/03/2021 at 21:09, deKay said:

Pretty sure half of what I say at work is Simpsons related like I'm some tedious Colin Hunt character. Home too though. Some regulars:

"Never leave the day room, never leave the day room"

"...like a fox" (stupid like a fox/quick like a fox/sexy like a fox/fat like a fox)

"Where's the money? When are you going to get the money? Why aren't you getting the money now?"

"Then why did I have the bowl, Bart?"

"A tasty fake?"

"Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!"

"Why can't I have no kids and three money?"

"Shoplifting is a victimless crime"

"Thank you, come again"

"Worst. <whatever>. Ever."

"The goggles do nothing!”

"Ooooooh I've wasted my life"

"That's it, back to Winnipeg!"

"When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?"

"Stop it, stop it - he's already dead!"

"That's a paddlin'"

"They're made out of apple cores and Chinese newspapers"

"Especially Lisa, but ESPECIALLY Bart"

"Please sign here to say you did not save Itchy and Scratchy"

"I love you Lord Daftwager" "And I you"

"I love the leader!"

"White wine spritzer!"

"We had to say dickety cause that Kaiser had stolen our word twenty"

"Nobody's gay for moleman"

"THRILLHO"

"Mmm. Floor pie!"

"Dental plan. Lisa needs braces."

"Annnnnnd judge him"

"We've tried nuthin' and nuthin' works!"

• 4 weeks later...

Unlikely any new additions to this thread coming from this new Simpsons episode...

960.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format

...but if it annoys Morrissey then that's funny.

The Simpsons has earned the wrath of Morrissey after it parodied the former Smiths frontman in an episode of the show.

The singer was satirised during the episode Panic on the Streets of Springfield, which aired in the US on Sunday night. In the episode, Lisa Simpson becomes obsessed with a fictional band called the Snuffs and befriends its frontman, Quilloughby.

The character, voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch, is a young, depressed British singer from the 1980s who, like Morrissey, is vegan and sports a quiff. The episode features other nods to the singer, including an Oscar Wilde poster, and parody song titles including How Late Is Then, Hamburger Homicide and Everyone Is Horrid Except Me and Possibly You.

It turns out, however, that Quilloughby is a figment of Lisa’s imagination and her dream is shattered when he morphs into a grey, meat-eating, overweight man with anti-immigrant views.

Hours after the episode aired, a statement written on Morrissey’s behalf by his manager, Peter Katsis, appeared on the singer’s Facebook page, calling the show “hurtful and racist”.

“Surprising what a ‘turn for the worst’ the writing for The Simpsons TV show has taken in recent years,” the statement reads. “Poking fun at subjects is one thing … but when a show stoops so low to use harshly hateful tactics like showing the Morrissey character with his belly hanging out of his shirt (when he has never looked like that at any point in his career) makes you wonder who the real hurtful, racist group is here.

“Even worse, calling the Morrissey character out for being a racist, without pointing out any specific instances, offers nothing. It only serves to insult the artist.”

Morrissey, 61, has consistently denied being racist, but has been condemned on many occasions in the past for his comments on race, including referring to Chinese people as a “subspecies” citing their treatment of animals, calling halal meat “evil”, saying the animals suffer, and saying the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, cannot speak properly.

He has also expressed support for the far-right For Britain party, wearing a badge bearing its logo during a US TV performance.

His manager’s statement, which did not explain how the Simpsons episode had been racist, went on to accuse the show of hypocrisy after Hank Azaria’s apology for voicing the Indian character Apu Nahasapeemapetilon. “Hank Azaria’s recent apology to the whole country of India for his role in upholding ‘structural racism’ says it all,” the statement said.

The writer of the episode, Tim Long, previously told Variety that the character was not solely based on Morrissey. “I’m sticking by that. The character is definitely Morrissey-esque, with maybe a small dash of Ian Curtis from Joy Division, and a bunch of other people.”

Inspired by Long’s love of British indie bands during the 1980s – he told Variety how seeing the Smiths on their The Queen Is Dead tour had changed his life – the episode features parody songs written by Long and Flight of the Conchords songwriter Bret McKenzie.

I'd put Morrissey among the worst people in history to take criticism. I haven't really thought about who else is, it's probably a load of kings and paranoid rulers isn't it, but he'd be up there.

On 22/03/2021 at 17:42, Ry said:

Wee bit different from the topic but do any of you use lines from the Simpson in your life over the years? 

Everything’s coming up Milhouse!! When pretty much anything good happens

I make crap ‘and/or’ (as in ‘this sounds like rock and/or roll’ from the incredible In a gadda da vida scene) jokes all the time. Nobody likes them.

On 22/03/2021 at 17:42, Ry said:

Wee bit different from the topic but do any of you use lines from the Simpson in your life over the years? 

On 22/03/2021 at 19:02, cubik said:

I can't say the words "I don't know" without doing it in the same voice as Homer when he's pretending to be Mr Burns at the post office.

"That is true."

On 25/03/2021 at 09:29, Festoon said:

"Mmm. Floor pie!"

"Dental plan. Lisa needs braces."

"Annnnnnd judge him"

"We've tried nuthin' and nuthin' works!"

I try and shoehorn “I’d rather it said ‘Death From Above’ but I guess we’re stuck with it” into as many scenarios as I can.

21 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It's hilarious how much Morrissey's manager is crying about this on the internet. 

I was pleasantly surprised with how hard they went after Morrissey. It's the most contemporary they've felt in years, and it's probably one of the better articulations of the journey Morrissey fans have gone on, realising he's a new kind of arsehole.

32 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I was pleasantly surprised with how hard they went after Morrissey. It's the most contemporary they've felt in years, and it's probably one of the better articulations of the journey Morrissey fans have gone on, realising he's a new kind of arsehole.

Yeah, I'm almost tempted to watch it, especially seeing as the songs are by Bret. Then again it *is* modern Simpsons so I'm ethically opposed to it.

7 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Best song

If you wanna see hell, then take a trip, to the Sodom and Gomorrah on the Missisip!

They seem to be doing a hand gesture on the sodom and gomorrah line - is that US thing or just general animation?