IGNORED

The funniest moment in The Simpsons history

Loik V credern

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

There's been no Cape Feare or Sideshow Bob either, a minor miracle 3 pages into a funniest Simpsons moment thread. 

:quote: I posted "The Bart, The"!

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

Years ago Newsnight were reviewing the Simpsons episode that featured Tony Blair, aired after the Iraq invasion. After a clip the guest in the studio remarked; 'I've never seen The Simpsons, I liked its satire' and I was so shocked a person in his later years had not even seen one minute of the show that it's stuck with me since. Not everyone has a tv and would eat food at 5:30pm while watching Neighbours then switch to The Simpsons, nor did everyone watch on Sky. 

It haunts me to know there are people in the world whose life has not been blessed with The Simpsons. It has to be the most watched show right? If you haven't seen it then you're not part of modern society. 

In 2007, Mark Kermode wrote about his experiences venturing into TV viewing for the first time, after decades as a cinema-only snob. He began his article by saying that it was none other than Harry Shearer who prompted him to give TV a go:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2007/sep/23/television.features

It began with a reprimand from Harry Shearer, best known to me as the brilliantly gormless bassist from This Is Spinal Tap (a movie), but better known to millions as the voice of several characters on The Simpsons (a TV show). 'Of course, Mark's never seen The Simpsons,' said Simon Mayo, host of the Radio 5 Live show on which Shearer and I happened to be appearing together. 'Mark doesn't do television - he thinks it's fundamentally inferior to cinema.'

On 18/07/2020 at 15:09, cubik said:

You're all wrong. It's this:

Homer putting on a weird voice when he talks to the postal worker cracks me up every time

This is the clip I have quoted the most in my life.

It's "I believe you have a letter for me / I don't knoow", but this was one of my favourite bits in the teatime Simpsons days, another one of those 8 second slices of genius, topped off by Moe berating the dryer (the only full-length clip I could find was in German, so enjoy Waschmaschine vs Trockner):

11 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Years ago Newsnight were reviewing the Simpsons episode that featured Tony Blair, aired after the Iraq invasion. After a clip the guest in the studio remarked; 'I've never seen The Simpsons, I liked its satire' and I was so shocked a person in his later years had not even seen one minute of the show that it's stuck with me since. Not everyone has a tv and would eat food at 5:30pm while watching Neighbours then switch to The Simpsons, nor did everyone watch on Sky. 

It haunts me to know there are people in the world whose life has not been blessed with The Simpsons. It has to be the most watched show right? If you haven't seen it then you're not part of modern society. 

I've been trying to get my daughter to watch it with me. She needs to see the good stuff before she discovers anything from the last 15 years. 

On 18/07/2020 at 13:50, Mars said:

The bit with the ambulance absolutely creases me. 

this was the first episode of the simpsons I ever watched.

I laughed hysterically!

The 2nd funniest is when homer becomes a food reviewer and the local chefs plan to kill him with a giant pulsating poisoned doughnut 

11 hours ago, Nick R said:

In 2007, Mark Kermode wrote about his experiences venturing into TV viewing for the first time, after decades as a cinema-only snob. He began his article by saying that it was none other than Harry Shearer who prompted him to give TV a go:

It gets worse. Even now I am counting down the days until the return of Doctor Who, which has again become a Saturday evening fixture. I even bought the entire Series Three DVD set the day it went on sale (I pretended to be buying it for my son)

Kermode once railed against videogames on Newsnight and a couple of years later, I sold him some DS games that were all film licences. And they were all "for his son". :sherlock:

OK I've remembered the one bit that made me laugh more than any other when I first saw it: the ending of Marge Versus the Monorail. It's the decision to have them make short yelps instead of long screams, and to have them continue after the fade to the credits...

This bit has turned up a lot in recent years, thanks to its continuing satirical relevance to events in politics and business:

And I've always loved the cut to Moleman at the end here:

On 20/07/2020 at 01:58, Nick R said:

Oh yeah...somehow missed that.

I never knew he'd seen Six Feet Under ages ago. If you're only going to watch a few tv shows...

Because of the lockdown Kermode has been back into tv, he's watched Breaking Bad and The Wire. I wonder what he thought of them? He thought:

What are your TV gold standards?

Mark Kermode: Last summer, we did all of Breaking Bad. It was a revelation. I mean, my mind was just blown. And I know that I'm really late to this party, I know that's like 20 years ago. It's like somebody's going, 'You know, this Shakespeare? Actually quite good'. And then we're currently halfway through The Wire and of course my mind is blown because, as a everybody knows, The Wire is brilliant. So for me, there's three: Life on Mars, Breaking Bad and The Wire. Now, I understand that that is like saying, 'well, I judge all plays by The Tempest, King Lear and Hamlet'. But one of the things about this [Home Entertainment Service] was that to me, it was a bit like dragging a newbie kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Maybe if there's another pandemic he'll get into Mad Men, True Detective and Game of Thrones. But we've still got some time left in this one.

I've never seen Seinfeld, never heard of it all through the late 90s and 00s. It was never properly shown here. The Simpsons is so ubiquitous though.

There's other answers in the interview that while i don't disagree really sum up the privileged liberal mindset and narrow scope of their thinking.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a32443229/mark-kermode-and-simon-mayo-interview/

On 20/07/2020 at 09:50, Mike said:

This is the clip I have quoted the most in my life.

Think mine is the routine with the cultist in the airport. 'And how much is this free resort weekend? And when is it?'

8 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

I don't think it's as good as Homer not responding to his new name Mr Thompson when going into witness protection.

Or how he wants to be John Elway and fantasises about getting humped by the 49ers