IGNORED

The funniest moment in The Simpsons history

Loik V credern

Pfft, the Planet of the Apes musical isn't even the best Planet of the Apes joke in The Simpsons. Everything about this joke is perfect. Homer's apron/spatula setup, him offering to field the question even though he was asked it directly, the dull thud of his fists on the floor. It's the perfect joke and a perfect example of a Simpsons movie reference. 

3 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

So, after...*counts* maybe 23 years of watching The Simpsons i think, i think the funniest most inspired, most unexpected funniest bit is this:

so thanks everyone case closed i'm glad that's finally been decided and put to rest lock the thread. 'i didn't even give you my coat!' is a close distant second. You know, in that same episode Bart says 'looks like i'll just have to get into my crawl space again', then Marge gets her broom and says 'i hate when he does that' which is also unexpected, inspired and funny, just not as much as the kite.

i like the lick bait title, do you like the click bait title. *is self satisfied*

I guess it shows how utterly subjective this all is that I found the perpetual motion machine bit way more funny than the kite bit, which didn't even raise a smile.

For a long time this was my single favourite Simpsons scene: Homer's brain going out of sync with his mouth:

Kirk's boss is one of the best ever one-off Simpsons characters:

This is one of those references that was funny on first viewing as a kid, then became funnier several years later, when I saw my first Rocky film and found out who Adrian was:

47 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I guess it shows how utterly subjective this all is that I found the perpetual motion machine but way more funny than the kite bit, which didn't even raise a smile.

DEAD INSIDE TIMMO DEAD INSIDE NOT EVEN A SMILE NOT EVEN A SMILE???!! It's the unexpected absurdity, the hand behind his back, the slow turn, like where did that idea even come from (aside from maybe referencing a film i've not seen), 'something about flying a kite at night that is so unwholesome'. The Simpsons could be absurd, John Swartzwelder was responsible for a lot of it, but mostly it wasn't so when it went there i love it more. Maybe it works less when taken out of the otherwise normality of the episode, the teacher strike, and the kids being a bit lost. They needed something for Bart as they did Lisa, and that's what they came up with. I'm embarrassed now if it's just me. Of all the things to be embarrassed about after all these years of nonsense..

Family Guy has the most out of nowhere absurd moments and it's the speed that gets me, even if i know it's coming, i might not expect the escalation. Like Peter saying he's always been awful to Meg, never good to her, then it cuts to some light hearted moments, like him farting in her face, and other pranks and jokes, to eventually him sat on the couch as she walks up and says 'hi dad' and without blinking he gets out a gun and shoots her.

That sounds terrible written down.

I've watched the first 13 seasons on Disney+ while furloughed. I was planning to watch it all, but the last season really put me off continuing. Season 13 was just terrible. 

Anyway, favourite moment:

I've always liked Lisa's drollness, like when Bart is praised by the conman who says 'we need to be more like Bart' and she says; 'what' while scowling. There are so many moments when she punctures the show's satirical insanity with a succinctly worded question to an authority figure, which the reply is usually 'yes, dear'. The one in the monorail episode is maybe the most memorable, but I was watching random episodes recently and had never noticed this one before

pure Groening social commentary coming through. The way it was put surprised me, even if things never really change. This episode aired in 1995.

55 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

There are so many moments when she punctures the show's satirical insanity with a succinctly worded question to an authority figure, which the reply is usually 'yes, dear'.

1 hour ago, RaoulSilva said:

There are so many moments I can't choose one, but for some reason the first time I ever saw this I proper laughed out loud for about 5 minutes, never had the same effect on me since.

When I first saw that in the mid '90s, I thought that the joke was that Homer was making up such obviously fake names - and Bush was falling for them.

I mean, "George Bush Jr" is the least imaginative name you could make up on the spot, and whoever heard of anyone called "Jeb", apart from Jebediah Springfield?