Monitor poll  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1440p at 120+hz with gsync or equivalent is absolutely the way to go. 4k on Windows is annoying as it’s bad at pixel doubling and you get all sorts of weird issues with apps being the wrong size etc (my work laptop is 4k). 1440p you can run at native resolution and it’s lovely. 

HDR is great too but not the be-all and end-all especially in dedicated PC monitors (rather than TVs, OLEDs etc) where it’s a bit hit and miss. 

Basically what everyone’s already said. 

• Upvote 1

Death Stranding is good, Resi 2 and 3 have a grey filter over the top but a nice load of deep blacks and stupidly bright lights that weren’t there before. 

This is on a TV though. On a PC monitor HDR can be a bit dicier from what I’ve read. 

What I'm finding is that If you're using a controller 60fps is just fine. For mouselook, however, it just doesn't cut it like it used to.

Pick up DOOM 2016 and give that a spin at 144hz. There's just no going back afterwards.

25 minutes ago, Moz said:

1440p at 120+hz with gsync or equivalent is absolutely the way to go. 4k on Windows is annoying as it’s bad at pixel doubling and you get all sorts of weird issues with apps being the wrong size etc (my work laptop is 4k). 1440p you can run at native resolution and it’s lovely. 

HDR is great too but not the be-all and end-all especially in dedicated PC monitors (rather than TVs, OLEDs etc) where it’s a hit and miss. 

Basically what everyone’s already said. 

Some genius has fixed the Skyrim Havoc physics bugs when going over 60fps, as well as incorporating a whole ton of other display optimisations. I'm playing with zero input latency and G-sync. It's gone from being v-sync essential to running like an eSports title.

Loving it so much.

2 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

1440P Ultrawide Monitor . 35". :wub:

I had an ultrawide for a while. It was lovely but I found dual monitors worked better with work.

I believe this 1440p LG UltraGear is supposed to be good, and it's currently under £300. It can be tilted, swivelled and pivoted to portrait mode, although if you're going to be moving your monitor a lot you might want to invest in a monitor arm.

I think 1440p at 60fps should be attainable for several years on a 2070 Super, especially as you'll be able to make use of DLSS. Beware the 'Ultra' trap, though: sometimes a game's highest settings will kill performance for almost no appreciable benefit.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

1440P Ultrawide Monitor . 35". :wub:

Yeah, that's the good stuff. As mentioned above, not quite as good for work as a multi-screen setup (though takes up less desk real estate than having two monitors, which is helpful), but it's fantastic for gaming.

Love my 34", 3440x1440, G-Syncing, 100-120Hz Alienware AW3418DW (such a catchy name). Plenty sharp at ~110 pixels-per-inch, wonderfully smooth, and the added peripheral vision is welcome in any 3D games and/or UI-filled strategy games that support it. Not the cheapest thing I've ever bought, mind; you'd be looking at dropping the size and/or the g-sync to get to your budget.

4 hours ago, Fallows said:

Some genius has fixed the Skyrim Havoc physics bugs when going over 60fps, as well as incorporating a whole ton of other display optimisations. I'm playing with zero input latency and G-sync. It's gone from being v-sync essential to running like an eSports title.

Loving it so much.

oooooh

go here - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

change "type" to g-sync compatible, this mean its VRR, but not a hardware gsync, hardware gysnc is stuck with nvidia (correct me if they changed that ?) compatible is not!

narrow further down by what you want, id recommend, along with most others, a 27inch, 1440p, 144hz panel.

have a look and see what fits your price! ...profit?

And remember, if a game has no framerate cap (for instance its a stratagy game, and you dont want to eat ALL the electric) you can set a large number of refresh rates in the nvidia control panel to limit it to 60 for that game!

most hand y for it seems a very large number of games on xbox game pass where you cant alter the exe (THAT is the worst thing a bout game pass!)

19 hours ago, robdood said:

@strider aa gsync monitor is a good bet mainly because is has variable refresh depending on the signal and as such you'll never get horrid tearing again, even if you can't hit your ideal framerate.its basically witchcraft (allegedly, I use a completely unsuitable dell u2410 for pc gaming :hmm:) 

I am.using the exact same montior at the moment. Having just upgraded to a Ryzen build and 5700XT I feel the need for a new monitor.

Trouble is I am also wanting to photo edit on it too.  I bought the Dell years ago on the basis it was a decent IPS panel and great for colour representation. Would things like this be an issue now?

11 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

A more budget end recommendation, but I've had this since January and it's been flawless. No issues whatsoever and image quality is way beyond my previous AOC 1080p Gsync monitor (this one is Gsync compatible too):

https://www.ebuyer.com/838555-eg-27-gaming-monitor-qhd-144hz-1ms-with-amd-freesync-gs27-v2

@Opinionated Ham Scarecrowcould well be currently winning

• Upvote 1

IPS panels are alot better than they used to be, again, have a look at the Nvidia chart above, you can select IPS as a panel type

• Upvote 1

Ive got an Asus PB268Q 28' 4k 60fps monitor and its fucking beautiful to look at. I do have the PC to knock out 4k 60 no trouble in most games though.

Ive played on higher hz screens and while it is lovely, I dont really play MP so 60 is just fine for my needs.

With the way DLSS is headed, 4k baby, all the way.

2 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Ive got an Asus PB268Q 28' 4k 60fps monitor and its fucking beautiful to look at. I do have the PC to knock out 4k 60 no trouble in most games though.

Ive played on higher hz screens and while it is lovely, I dont really play MP so 60 is just fine for my needs.

With the way DLSS is headed, 4k baby, all the way.

How the text for browsing, non-gaming use? I assume you are using scaling ?

14 hours ago, JoeK said:

I have an Asus ROG Swift pg279q

This one here

Fairly expensive as far as monitors go, but it's lovely.

That's nice. Can you run 1440p on 4K monitors or is it largely pointless? Now I've got used to 60fps again I don't want to lose it :P

47 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Ive got an Asus PB268Q 28' 4k 60fps monitor and its fucking beautiful to look at.

How far do you have to sit back to appreciate it though? 28 feet would probably be too big for my desk.

• Upvote 5
8 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

How far do you have to sit back to appreciate it though? 28 feet would probably be too big for my desk.

Eehh.

I sit about 5 feet back as its a smallish room, unless im k&m in which case I need to sit closer.

1440p looks great still but 1080 is horrendous on the panel.

18 hours ago, Moz said:

My home laptop is 4K, and I don’t have massive issues. Is your work laptop (like my work laptop) stuck on a fairly old build of windows 10?

(irrelevant anyway, if strider has an LG tv already the answer remains 1440p)

5 minutes ago, footle said:

(irrelevant anyway, if strider has an LG tv already the answer remains 1440p)

It is in my front room and i am very lazy :lol:

I am certainly leaning towards 1440p. Struggling to find a monitor with two hdmi inputs so I can easily switch between work and play.

20 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Could you not connect the gaming PC via display port to free up the HDMI?

I don't understand what you just said. The back of the graphics card slot just seems to have HDMI and USB slots?