Palm Springs - Groundhog Wedding

Harsin

I could have sworn we had a thread on this film, but both Google and the forum's godawful internal search function have let me down.

Here's the very basic synopsis from Wikipedia, not really a spoiler as they reveal the premise very quickly in the film.

Palm Springs is a 2020 American romantic comedy film directed by Max Barbakow (in his directorial debut) and written by Andy Siara. It stars Andy Samberg, Cristin Milioti, Peter Gallagher, and J. K. Simmons, and follows two strangers who meet at a Palm Springs wedding only to get stuck in a time loop.

Here's the trailer, but personally I think it shows far too much of the film.

I really enjoyed it. Has fun with the premise, the two leads are a delight and J.K. Simmons is reliable as always. Smartly it just assumes that you've seen this scenario a bunch of times before in various media and skips the rote setup and gets straight to the character work.

Apparently it was set for a cinema release before armageddon put a stop to that, at the moment it's only on Hulu, which we can't get here without a VPN I think.

Yep. I'm a big fan of easy, upbeat comedies. Mostly for hangovers. But they're not as prevalent as you'd think (the films, not the hangovers).

Both Samberg and Milioti do a great job. But I find the main tropes a little disappointing:

They're both 'freed' from their cynicism about love and monogamy by.... (gasp!) finding 'the one'!

It's a bit traditional and toothless against the backdrop of the rest of the movie. But it's not a dealbreaker.

They didn't go into the details of the encounter between Sarah and Abe, which I feel is a missed opportunity. But I suppose when they're eschewing the past, it doesn't really matter all that much.

Another big thumbs up here.

Time Loops, J.K Simmons, funny, clever and 90 minutes is exactly what I want from a comedy and I also like Samberg (Nine Nine!).

Spoiler

As others have said - I like that he is in the loop from the start - they clearly show in the opening speech/dance scene that he has near perfect knowledge of what is happening at the wedding as he dances with the other guests (drinks/chairs, etc) and you assume it will just then flash back to show how he got to this point in order to win the girl, but it doesn't do that.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was really quite good.

I liked that it didn't keep repeating the same thing over and over like most groundhog day type films. Also, having multiple people helped.

Spoiler

the dinosaur stuff was a bit weird though, like i don't think it meant anything but still.

• 3 weeks later...

On 15/07/2020 at 18:14, schmojo said:

Yep. I'm a big fan of easy, upbeat comedies. Mostly for hangovers. But they're not as prevalent as you'd think (the films, not the hangovers).

Both Samberg and Milioti do a great job. But I find the main tropes a little disappointing:

Hide contents

They're both 'freed' from their cynicism about love and monogamy by.... (gasp!) finding 'the one'!

It's a bit traditional and toothless against the backdrop of the rest of the movie. But it's not a dealbreaker.

They didn't go into the details of the encounter between Sarah and Abe, which I feel is a missed opportunity. But I suppose when they're eschewing the past, it doesn't really matter all that much.

Thought this was decent, though I agree with your spoilered point.

Spoiler

Initially I was pleasantly surprised with her reaction to his speech at the end, 'i can do this without you but life might need a little less mundane with you', rather than the standard Hollywood melting and falling into his arms. But then as they walked into the wormhole she had to go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like 'I love you'.

Otherwise very entertaining with non-annoying leads.

• 7 months later...

I thought it was ok, maybe my expectations were too high after seeing the sky-high critical reception. I feel like I never need to see another time-loop movie where we're shown how enjoyable foreknowledge/lack of consequence is before boredom sets in and the protagonist needs to show some personal development in order to break the loop etc. It played with structure a little but at heart it's something I've seen many times over.

I just watched this, and loved it. Really funny in places, and while I've seen plenty of time loop stories I like this took a bit of a different approach. 

Actually, out of all those time loop stories I don't think I've ever seen one I didn't enjoy. Well, I've just remembered that Discovery did one, so maybe that.

I really enjoyed it as well, it didn't blow me away like the excited reviews when it first came out made me think it would but it was an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes. I'm also happy to watch anything Cristin Milioti is in since I first saw her on HIMYM. 

18 hours ago, Majora said:

I thought it was ok, maybe my expectations were too high after seeing the sky-high critical reception. I feel like I never need to see another time-loop movie where we're shown how enjoyable foreknowledge/lack of consequence is before boredom sets in and the protagonist needs to show some personal development in order to break the loop etc. It played with structure a little but at heart it's something I've seen many times over.

:sherlock:

Did it occur to anyone else, that the grandmother maybe had a bigger role in the film but was cut?

I think she's been there longer than Niles and was repeating it just like him. At the start shes says something like "i've been to a lot of wedding and that was the best speech ever". Then at the ends she's talking to Milioti and seems to suggest that she knows what's going on. Maybe i'm reading too much into it. 

3 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Did it occur to anyone else, that the grandmother maybe had a bigger role in the film but was cut?

I think she's been there longer than Niles and was repeating it just like him. At the start shes says something like "i've been to a lot of wedding and that was the best speech ever". Then at the ends she's talking to Milioti and seems to suggest that she knows what's going on. Maybe i'm reading too much into it. 

I did think that especially with the comment at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed that, I thought it was really charming.

On 10/04/2021 at 14:44, Majora said:

the protagonist needs to show some personal development in order to break the loop etc.

Spoiler

But the protagonist didn’t need to show development to break the loop. What was needed was advanced knowledge of quantum physics and a lot of experimentation and careful scientific analysis of the results.