Which classic series of games do you wish you ‘got’ but don’t?

beakbeak

I know there are certain franchises that everything points towards the fact that I should love them but for some reason, they just don’t gel with me.

mega man games: I’ve tried to play them so many times and I adore the graphical style of the 8 and 16 bit titles but they have never clicked for me. 

virtua fighter: I love fighting games and I love sega and I’ve sat down with guides to try and figure out these games but they never seem to have that X factor. I’m not sure if it’s the characters or gameplay.

dragon quest: i remember obsessing over these games as a kid when I saw shots of them in super play. The reality of them for me is that they seem really generic. I’ve read articles about why I should like the series but I just find myself really bored by them. I’ve nearly completed 5 and 7 but just didn’t have the inclination to bother. 

Yeah Dragon Quest for me. It's just so archaic but for me, not in a good way. I've never finished one, despite putting 60 hours into VIII. 

The latest one does seem a big improvement though. 

Shenmue is another, it's boring and controls terribly. And never delivered on what it promised. I liked the big brawl at the end though. And the music. 

Halo is another. I adored the first game but I just find the rest so unbelievably dull. 

Uh, Zelda. :blush: 

It's not that I don't like them, but I've never enjoyed them enough to stick with them until the end. I've tried the original, AoL, LttP, LA, and a bit of Ocarina and Majora, but they all seem to bank on a simple but gratifying gameplay loop that just gets too samey too quickly for me. Again, I don't dislike what I play but it never holds my interest - and when I can begin to guess the template of "fight through rooms of enemies to get the thing that opens up the next bit" it stops being intriguing.

Completing a mega man game is something I feel I have to do as a gamer. What’s my best bet? Tried X but it’s so infuriatingly difficult. 

i have all of them on switch and also mega man powered up and the x remake on psp 

1 minute ago, beakbeak said:

Completing a mega man game is something I feel I have to do as a gamer. What’s my best bet? Tried X but it’s so infuriatingly difficult. 

i have all of them on switch and also mega man powered up and the x remake on psp 

10 has an easy mode where there are less enemies and some pits have safety platforms and it's still pretty enjoyable

The first X is do-able, but it helps to know the secrets (where to find subtanks, the best order of enemies)

2 is one of the more accessible classic games, but even then it relies on dying in order to figure out things like disappearing block patterns (Heat Man) or beam attacks (Quick Man)

Powered Up's "New" campaign isn't too harsh either, but the "Old" one is based on MM1 which can still be punishing.

Also an MM fan I know on Discord says that 5 is kind of easy but I have mixed success with that. :P Oh, and a big part of MM is figuring out the "order" to approach levels, because some are much easier if you have abilities from other areas. In short, don't feel bad about googling the recommended order for a particular game. ;) 

5 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

10 has an easy mode where there are less enemies and some pits have safety platforms and it's still pretty enjoyable

The first X is do-able, but it helps to know the secrets (where to find subtanks, the best order of enemies)

2 is one of the more accessible classic games, but even then it relies on dying in order to figure out things like disappearing block patterns (Heat Man) or beam attacks (Quick Man)

Powered Up's "New" campaign isn't too harsh either, but the "Old" one is based on MM1 which can still be punishing.

Also an MM fan I know on Discord says that 5 is kind of easy but I have mixed success with that. :P Oh, and a big part of MM is figuring out the "order" to approach levels, because some are much easier if you have abilities from other areas. In short, don't feel bad about googling the recommended order for a particular game. ;) 

I suppose I’m ok with difficult games. I’ve completed dark souls and some other notoriously tough games. 

What’s the best mega man to complete? Like, the most fun/best music/most rewarding??

11 is pretty manageable without going mental with all the ways you can make it easier on yourself but they're obviously also there as an option.

I find the earlier ones pretty good fun in the initial stages but once I get to the Wily stuff I generally start feeling like I can't be arsed.

9 minutes ago, beakbeak said:

I suppose I’m ok with difficult games. I’ve completed dark souls and some other notoriously tough games. 

What’s the best mega man to complete? Like, the most fun/best music/most rewarding??

I'd recommend MM2 (it's kind of a classic next to the lazier NES efforts) or if you want slightly more advanced gameplay, X1 ...but it's probably a pretty subjective question, and other people will have their favourites. :D 

4 hours ago, beakbeak said:

By far the easiest is MM2 on Game Boy / 3DS.

Metal Gear Solid - especially 2. I quite liked the bonkers ever-exited teenager's version of a Tom Clancy novel but the stealth just killed it for me. 

Street Fighter 2/fighting games generally - love the arcadey-ness of them and the style but beyond a bit of button-mashing I simply couldn't get into them. I don't think I'd ever pulled off a special move on any fighter deliberately. 

22 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Street Fighter 2/fighting games generally - love the arcadey-ness of them and the style but beyond a bit of button-mashing I simply couldn't get into them. I don't think I'd ever pulled off a special move on any fighter deliberately. 

I love the idea of fighting games, but even back when I still had decent reflexes I struggled to learn much beyond the basics. These days not only do I not have the time to learn loads of moves, I definitely don't have the speed to be able to read the opponent and react. I wish there was some sort of turn-based fighter that took away all that time pressure. It sounds crazy but I think it could work, like a card game almost.

This is when someone will point out that not only does such a game exist, it's existed for years and is the basis for a long running genre of its own... I hope!

38 minutes ago, Darren said:

I love the idea of fighting games, but even back when I still had decent reflexes I struggled to learn much beyond the basics. These days not only do I not have the time to learn loads of moves, I definitely don't have the speed to be able to read the opponent and react. I wish there was some sort of turn-based fighter that took away all that time pressure. It sounds crazy but I think it could work, like a card game almost.

This is when someone will point out that not only does such a game exist, it's existed for years and is the basis for a long running genre of its own... I hope!

Yomi's a little bit like that but there's still quite an involved ruleset. It exists in physical and digital form.

http://sirlingames.com/yomi

https://store.steampowered.com/app/287960/Yomi/

Also, maybe look at Fantasy Strike, which has a very stripped-down system but still looks pretty satisfying. :) I haven't played it myself but it seems to focus on rules that are easy to learn, but a balanced system that focuses on outsmarting your foe.

http://www.fantasystrike.com/

EDIT: Also, quite a few Arc System Works fighters (and I think later Marvel games) have "easy input" options where you can pull off stylish combos by repeatedly pressing a single button, or execute a Hyper Combo by pressing a few buttons at once. I've played DBFZ and MVCI with my nephew like this (pre-lockdown) and it's kind of fun.

On 13/07/2020 at 18:39, Qazimod said:

MM5 is ‘easier’ in that the game has a higher extra life drop rate than the other games, we’re talking you can get 2-3 drops per level.

It also has the ‘MEGAMAN’ collectible letters that give you the beat sub weapon, which is SUPER handy for some of the tougher bosses including the last boss. 

I’d personally disagree with googling orders. I think part of what the game is about is figuring the order as what it does is force you to replay levels over and over to the point where they become 2nd nature. 
People fear the difficulty and so try and short cut it and all it does is make you woefully unprepared for what the game is going to throw at you. You play the game naturally and you can end up doing levels numerous times as you figure things out. Next thing you know, you’re totally versed in the levels and you can blitz them fairly easily.

I’d agree that MM2 is probably the easiest option. The US/Euro version’s ‘normal’ mode is basically easy mode. The JPN version has no difficulty select, the game just plays like the hard mode.

On 13/07/2020 at 18:25, Lorfarius said:

Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy. Too difficult to play, they never appealed and couldn't understand the love for them back then. 

As a kid, the big draw of Jet Set Willy for me was the exploration element, which seems insane now, but when you only have a BBC B at home it starts to make more sense. I kind of knew I'd never even come close to finishing it - it was just about trying to see more and more of the mansion each time.

The series I've never got into but sort of wish I could is the Final Fantasy series. I've played 7, but never past the opening area. It's just never grabbed me, despite me being a huge fan of the Phantasy Star series, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining The Holy Ark at the time. As you can probably guess, I was all about Sega at the time, so the Final Fantasy series completely passed me by and by the time I did own something I could play FF7 on, I think I was just no longer really interested.

I really want to understand what people see in Persona 4 Golden, but RPGs in general make no sense to me as games.  But in Persona you read text, read more, read read read, then get into turn based battles that all seem the same as each other as you go up flights of stairs.. again...  And the characters are very young, act younger, and it all feels a bit creepy.

It's the Final Fantasy games for me. The random battles suck any kind of enjoyment out of the series.

I'm not against a good RPG. I've sunk countless hours into Secret of Mana and am almost 60 hours into the latest Dragon Quest on the Switch. It's just random battles I fail to get any fun from at all.

6 hours ago, dumpster said:

I really want to understand what people see in Persona 4 Golden, but RPGs in general make no sense to me as games.  But in Persona you read text, read more, read read read, then get into turn based battles that all seem the same as each other.  And the characters are very young, act younger, and it all feels a bit creepy.

For what it’s worth, I totally get some of this. I maintain that the teenage heroes and high school backdrops are some of the least interesting aspects of the series, and there’s a reason people have no interest in the PS1-era games despite them sharing those traits. I play them because I was tired of a difficulty curve that’s like steep steps in other RPGs (having dozens of individual floors in certain dungeons makes for a much more gradual incline than a handful of rooms with inexplicable variations in challenge), I play them because the battles are to a template (discover the elemental affinities and prepare in advance for them) but there’s satisfaction in making preparations after getting stomped the first time (because the enemy can take advantage of elemental affinities too, and completely wipe you if you’re unprepared.) The walls of text can definitely be a problem, but they’re often bookends between hours of gameplay (P3 to P5 all have time limits for your dungeon crawling, and so it’s in the game’s interests to get these dialogue scenes out of the way when you don’t need them, because they will still take up calendar days.)

The series probably isn’t for you, and that’s fine (I just dunked on Zelda so I can hardly comment on other people’s dis/likes!) but I don’t mind trying to explain the appeal. :) Also, I’ve mentioned this before but I’d love to see a game that rips off the Persona template for battles, dungeons and S.Links but uses it outside of a high school premise. It would definitely upset some hardcore fans, but it would be an interesting experience.

On 14/07/2020 at 17:19, Darren said:

Thanks! Both of those look right up my street for different reasons - Yomi is the sort of thing I was imagining but yes it does seem pretty complicated. Fantasy Strike looks perfect.

@DarrenIf you want to try it then I have two Yomi decks. I'll post them to you if you want, I've had them ages and never played it. 

On 15/07/2020 at 04:35, dumpster said:

I really want to understand what people see in Persona 4 Golden, but RPGs in general make no sense to me as games.  But in Persona you read text, read more, read read read, then get into turn based battles that all seem the same as each other as you go up flights of stairs.. again...  And the characters are very young, act younger, and it all feels a bit creepy.

I’m exactly the same. I’ve played a good 20 hours of P3 and P4 and I just can’t seem to get into it. The characters just don’t do it for me...

I love a good RPG but I think maybe I’m not geared towards liking this kind of material. I don’t like the show: stranger things and I think it might be for similar reasons. 

Zelda for me. I was a Sega kid, so I never played the early Zelda games. I got Ocarina of Time on my N64 and finished that, it was pretty good. It didn’t leave me clamouring for Majora’s Mask though. I’ve since tried Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, neither of which was able to convince me to play for more than a few hours. I also went back to play the Original LoZ and LttP, again, neither held my attention. I guess they’re just not really for me.

I’ve also tried a few Dragon Quest games on the handhelds, but never really got into any of them. I wouldn’t write the series off yet though, I admit that handhelds don’t really capture my attention well.

1 hour ago, jonnyalpha said:

@DarrenIf you want to try it then I have two Yomi decks. I'll post them to you if you want, I've had them ages and never played it. 

That’s amazingly generous but I’ll say no thanks, as I’ve got nobody to play it with!

Mega Man, definitely.

Being a retro nut with all minis hacked and sat under the telly, it's always been clear that this really is the only series I never could and seemingly never will get into.

So many old and venerable series still getting replayed regularly, like Castlevania, Final Fantasy and Bomberman , but the blue bomber never has enticed me so far.

I absolutely love the Azure Striker series though - strangely enough.

On 14/07/2020 at 22:12, DeciderVT said:

Wipeout. I'm not sure if it's the floaty ships, the air brakes or my ineptitude but I've never really taken to any of them, despite appreciating the visuals and the music.

Been buying and playing the Wipeout series since PS1. I got Wipeout and Tekken with my console in late '95.

I always pick Feisar, I'm still absolutely shit at them and find them floaty as anything but I'm a sucker for that combo of design, graphics and beats.