IGNORED

Fall Guys

Lying Cat

55 minutes ago, Majora said:

I haven't played Fall Guys yet but I recently played Fortnite on Switch at my partner's house after getting used to playing it on my PS5 and it was just awful. Blurry, terrible frame-rate, nearly impossible to aim, could barely see anything at night. I can normally hold my own pretty well but I was ending matches with 0 kills and barely any player damage. It felt like playing on Switch was the most enormous handicap. 

I can't imagine ever playing any of these cross-play online games on Switch unless pretty much forced to. Between the frame rate and the blurrier picture you really are at a massive disadvantage.

See… I mostly play on Series X at 120hz but I also think the Switch version is fantastic. Spent almost three hours straight on it at the weekend and got a few wins and a tonne of kills. It’s absolutely fine. 

Okay so what they have done is run all characters at half frame rate, which gives it this odd stop-motion style to their movements. Oddly I quite like it. Appart from that it's not actually a bad port (on an engine which is not good on the switch). It's still perfectly playable.

One thing I'm not sure on is res. In handheld it seemed pretty good, not native but not Xenoblade 2 either. Was clear enough. Probably around 540 to 600p.

Just had a quick bash on the switch in handheld. Frame seems ok at 30fps for the most part with some random dips. For this sort of game I have no issues playing it on switch. Looks pretty sweet on the OLED screen to. 

Oh well, at least they did a nice cartoon and made a story.

I'm not sure the cute/funny couching of the issue really helps.

Just say it's broken in simple terms and get on with fixing it (I realise the PR people aren't the same ones fixing it).

But otherwise... pretty standard for approaching peak hours on launch day and online games. Still amazes me this shit happens, particularly with Epic as your owners... surely matchmaking is just the Fortnite backend by now right? It'd seem to be crazy to run multiple.

33 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

This is affecting the game’s rating on the Xbox store - it’s currently only on 3 stars!

It deserves it.

This isn't some small company. With Epic's resources and Fortnite experience it's embarrassing they cannot matchmake what I'm sure is I'm sure actually a relatively small number of players compared to peaks in their tent pole franchise. After waiting a year longer than most expected for this to arrive on more platforms it's certainly one way to make an entrance.

It's a shame it'll hit their player base peak and likely prevent it being as popular as it should because the whole concept is a great one for a range of different player types. Not that I care about thier bottom line of course... More just I like the concept and want it to be around.

Personally this is me out for a few days after one snatched game.on Switch this morning during work and nothing this evening so far due to other commitments. Shame. Waited basically since the original release to play on something other than PC and this is the result. Sour taste (even if it is free).

Gaming seems like this odd media where we have a release date and more often than not they're a rug pull in some way. From completely buggy/broken games needing a day one patch, crazy monetisation issues, or complete serve failure and matchmaking issues. Gamers I think get a raw deal compared to most media releases.

You don't wait for a film release and then find all cinemas in the world are broken.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Anybody merging from PC/Steam to Xbox there's shedloads of achievements that have just unlocked for me.

Oh god. That was a nightmare. The Xbox could do with a stop popping these up for a minute option (unless I missed it).

33 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah and it didn't count three for the weekly Ms rewards even though I got like 6.

It did. Restart your console and it'll register

It’s a good job this game has a banging Eurobeat tune that plays while matchmaking, because I’ve been looking for players for a long time now. 

Just now, Popo said:

It’s a good job this game has a banging Eurobeat tune that plays while matchmaking, because I’ve been looking for players for a long time now. 

Change your region to something like Australia in the options. It's basically broken in most of the world

Well that eliminated 8 squads. The Slimescraper is tough!

c9d69d09-5586-4691-907d-7fd8797434d0.thumb.png.f1cdef9b4ab5891085e6fed4a66c5d9a.png

Been having fun now I can play without issue. Ticked off all the dailies. The challenges didn't exist when I played originally at launch do they're a welcome little aside. Don't really change much in general play but did get me playing squads which is a blessing and a curse. Being so reliant on others is an issue particularly his early when some are struggling to jump.

So while it's great that this is now on other platforms, the way they have changed the rewards is now pure Fortnite. From "Seasons will be free forever" to "you can have the first one for free then give me your money". The old premium currency of Crowns, which I was holding on to for the better outfits to come round again, have gone. And are they converted to the new premium currency? Of course not. They are converted to the regular currency Kudos which seems to only allow you to buy accessories, nicknames and patterns.

Outfits are now locked behind the new premium currency. Which you will get enough of for 1 outfit if you complete the season pass, otherwise pony up some cash for Epic to buy it.

Don't know why I expected it to be any different, but there you go. I'm amassed a nice collection of outfits playing this, I guess that stops now. I know the game will still be fun to play, and it's only cosmetics, but it is a complete reverse from the aims they had when they started and thats sad to see.

28 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

So while it's great that this is now on other platforms, the way they have changed the rewards is now pure Fortnite. From "Seasons will be free forever" to "you can have the first one for free then give me your money". The old premium currency of Crowns, which I was holding on to for the better outfits to come round again, have gone. And are they converted to the new premium currency? Of course not. They are converted to the regular currency Kudos which seems to only allow you to buy accessories, nicknames and patterns.

Outfits are now locked behind the new premium currency. Which you will get enough of for 1 outfit if you complete the season pass, otherwise pony up some cash for Epic to buy it.

Don't know why I expected it to be any different, but there you go. I'm amassed a nice collection of outfits playing this, I guess that stops now. I know the game will still be fun to play, and it's only cosmetics, but it is a complete reverse from the aims they had when they started and thats sad to see.

Chances are the player drop off was huge so they felt they had no choice. Tbh it probably should have been f2p from the off.

13 minutes ago, SeanR said:

As long as nothing changes the core gameplay*, anything else can get in the sea.

* running, jumping, grabbing

While I get your point, it's still a shitty thing to do. People coming to this new will be fine with it, it's the fortnite model, but people who paid for it and are used to a ton of new outfits headed their way, it's annoying.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Chances are the player drop off was huge so they felt they had no choice. Tbh it probably should have been f2p from the off.

Again, I get it, but convert those Crowns to the new Show Bucks to give the existing player base some kind of reward for sticking with them. I know its a daft thing to get annoyed about, but it's a very Epic move 

17 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Or at least multi platform with cross play from the off.

45 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

While I get your point, it's still a shitty thing to do. People coming to this new will be fine with it, it's the fortnite model, but people who paid for it and are used to a ton of new outfits headed their way, it's annoying.

I get that it's annoying but I always wonder how people think the second economics of something like that work. It cannot have been selling many copies over the second year of its life and yet servers and new content are being created. Reading the Reddit is hilarious with so many entitled gamers. Yes, you paid for a thing and it's gone in some way. But the game still exists. If you actually enjoyed playing then nothing has changed.

But i completely agree crowns should have converted to show bucks instead of kudos. Very little out of pocket for them and a simple way to keep good will.