I think talk of Mario Kart is interesting as I've been thinking about why I like this so much, and why non game playing other half has started firing up the PS4 to play it several times a day (we're talking ultra non game playing person here, she has had to have the basics of running jumping and movement in game explained from scratch).

I believe the chaotic randomness is a big part of the enjoyment, most online games let people become perfect and execute flawless wins/kills/laps and you rapidly don't get a sniff of victory as a more casual player. Its not zero skill at all, as I've got better at it and learned the levels/shortcuts the final rounds are usually reached, bar the odd team game fails. People saying its all luck are wrong.

What can be lucky though is a qualifying thru an early round when you've been shit, my other half is so happy when she makes it thru the first round it feels like a win to her. It's a game that may not be for hardcore gamers but not everything has to be.

I think the randomness of collisions and environment in this works in a similar but less calculated way to blue shells in Mario Kart, it keeps even the best on their toes and helps bring the field back together, and for this that is a very good thing.

Love it - and its possibly my GotY at the moment.

I wish Slime Climb was in every rotation. Played it three times last night, won all three. It's my favorite course by a mile, followed by Hex-A-Gone (even though most of my final wins are on Fall Mountain).
I do think there are some real stinkers in there, like the tail games and Perfect Match, so I welcome more new courses that are hopefully among the better ones.

Downloaded this yesterday on the recommendation of my 12 year old (he was watching live streamers before I even knew this game existed).

The great thing about this is it's almost as much fun to watch as it is to play - and with games lasting only about 10mins max it's fun alternating between me and my son even when i'm supposed to be *cough* working from home!!

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

I wish Slime Climb was in every rotation. 

I've got a real blind spot on this one and can't ever seem to complete it. Keep falling off those 2 logs / balance beams!! I did get my first win on Hex-a-Gone last night though which felt good.

5 minutes ago, starls said:

I've got a real blind spot on this one and can't ever seem to complete it. Keep falling off those 2 logs / balance beams!! I did get my first win on Hex-a-Gone last night though which felt good.

Try to walk in a straight line and don't jump on it when others are on it. Patience can be a virtue on that stage.

I played this for the first time yesterday, along with two friends I hadn't spoken to in a while. It was great fun, and I managed to get two wins as well. Both on Hex-a-gone. :D

It's hardly the deepest experience around, but definitely one of the most immediately enjoyable.

Fall Ball is very satisfying when your team score and you're sitting on the half way line to spectacularly head in an immediate follow on. Managed it quite a few times now. Lovely :)

In spite of finding it quite technically shoddy I do keep getting drawn back to this.

I can quite easily see someone quickly coming out with a massively more polished clone a la Fortnite though.

You wouldn't even have to change much, just fix the control responsiveness, camera and loading times i.e. implement it in a more suitable engine. I'm sure Epic and Valve are looking at the numbers and thinking about this already.

I think a slicker version of something similar may lack the charm, and the twitter account community manager is killing it in terms of engagement and traction with players and lots of high profile companies joining the bandwagon.

It may be short lived (hard to tell at moment) but could easily see a big company try to copy this and the suits totally miss the point of it and the things that actually make it work.

It doesn’t need an urban setting, space marines, a crafting system, rap music or rpg mechanics bolting on.

Yeah the stumbling drunk feel of the characters is what gives it the “oh I might actually win this” vibe to it. Otherwise games are just dominated by the twitch reflex teenage shits who make Fornite/Apex about as fun as jamming my face in to a shit covered holly bush

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I think this is part of it's formula though. Hypothetically, tight Mario 3D World controls would work, but I'd be interested to see how a game like that compares in practice. I suspect it might not be as fun, oddly.

While you're right, you're also wrong. For example, I find nothing more frustrating than falling for seemingly no reason mid-jump onto the seesaw which means I'm then tumbling down into the abyss. I would adore a tightly-controlled version that means only my skills determine where I finish.

Taking it to Mario, imagine a 50-player race across some of Sunshine's "Secret" levels? That could be virtual crack! While the chaos is unquestionably part of what makes Fall Guys such fun, I think there is definitely scope for a more ... I hesitate to use the word "serious" ... kind of game like this.

4 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

While you're right, you're also wrong. For example, I find nothing more frustrating than falling for seemingly no reason mid-jump onto the seesaw which means I'm then tumbling down into the abyss. I would adore a tightly-controlled version that means only my skills determine where I finish.

Taking it to Mario, imagine a 50-player race across some of Sunshine's "Secret" levels? That could be virtual crack! While the chaos is unquestionably part of what makes Fall Guys such fun, I think there is definitely scope for a more ... I hesitate to use the word "serious" ... kind of game like this.

but if I recall weren't you that insane time monster on that phone game with daily timed run levels, can't for life of me remember the name of it ?

I'd think i'd done a perfect run with 25s and you'd have something daft like 15s - in a game like this there is a benefit for the masses in the elite level players being dragged back down to our level - there are plenty of perfection games for people like you to go win at every time ! 

15 minutes ago, Gotters said:

but if I recall weren't you that insane time monster on that phone game with daily timed run levels, can't for life of me remember the name of it ?

I'd think i'd done a perfect run with 25s and you'd have something daft like 15s - in a game like this there is a benefit for the masses in the elite level players being dragged back down to our level - there are plenty of perfection games for people like you to go win at every time ! 

I'm good at some games, but nowhere near that level! You have me confused with someone else, here.

I'm absolutely not arguing against a levelling of the playing field, I am probably the world's most annoyingly vocal supporter of the Blue Shell in Mario Kart. I simply find it annoying to lose to circumstances outside of my control. I can't stop 59 other players from falling down, but I should be able to stop myself. If you're rolling down the seesaw and I don't avoid you, that's on me. 

What I'm saying is that now we have absolute proof that there is life for the BR genre outside of FPS, I hope developers explore this. I think there is room for a less random version of this; think Ninja Warrior to this game's Total Wipeout.

If these sort of games are the "Next Big Thing" then I'll be happy. Getting a bit bored of endless shootymans. Also, if Nintendo did a polished Mario/Wario themed version it would be incredible and I'd throw money at it.

4 minutes ago, EUkdazs said:

If these sort of games are the "Next Big Thing" then I'll be happy. Getting a bit bored of endless shootymans. Also, if Nintendo did a polished Mario/Wario themed version it would be incredible and I'd throw money at it.

or just moved splatoon into this genre, wholesale.

I think tighter controls could work without damaging it too much. I manage to jump beams and platforms without much issue whilst other players are struggling every jump (although sometimes they're rewarded by being chucked in the right direction faster than I can run :lol:).

The key would be ensuring the level of randomness remains in some form. You could have tight jumping controls but still be unstable when hitting other players. In the end the good players here don't struggle that much with the sometimes loose controls.

See Saw is interesting and the best advice I'd give is that you shouldn't jump if you don't have to. If the next see saw is below you simply run off the edge. You'll almost never fall this way because falling is basically a function of fall distance most of the time.

The wobbly controls are the whole point. From Gang Beasts to sportsfriends to Starwhal to Mount Your Friends, the physicsy calamities are an essential ingredient. Games without the struggle would go on so long and cease to be a drop in/drop out affair with much of the humour gone. 

6 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I thought the controls were actually pretty spot on. The only time I feel that I'm even vaguely out of control of my dude is when I'm swept up in some horrible scrum.

Same for me really. The controls are never really a problem, you just have to make sure you're not ganged upon from every angle.
Mainly talking about the races here. The grabbing stuff is less appealing to me.

If you're rolling uncontrollably off a See Saw, you made a bad decision to move to it. It's not supposed to be a Mario-tight jumping game. That one in particular is a decision making game. Do you push your luck, or wait, or try to level your see saw out, or wait a little bit and avoid the crush? You only need to be in the top two thirds, you never need to push your luck too hard, because someone else always does.

I don't mind the chaotic physicsy feel to this, I agree it works and is well suited to the game but the controls themselves also feel loose with a poor sense of timing - I reckon the latter could be improved without sacrificing the former.