rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
bplus

N64 s-video cable

Does anyone know where I can order a good quality s video cable for the N64?

Also is there a difference between pal and NTSC s video cables?

Thanks

There's no difference, but not all PAL N64s support s-video.

Not sure if they're great, but I just get any old version I can find on Amazon. The official cables pop up on eBay a bit.

• Upvote 1

On 12/07/2020 at 11:42, Swainy said:

I got mine from http://www.consolegoods.co.uk just make sure that your TV does indeed support S-Video as there wasn’t many TV’s sold in the UK that support it.

I tried emailing console goods saying what I'd like to buy etc. No response. Is this normal?

I found my ps/Xbox/N64 s-video cable yesterday...

I think it’s an XGamer cable?

1 hour ago, bplus said:

I tried emailing console goods saying what I'd like to buy etc. No response. Is this normal?

How long ago did you email him? He can take a day or so to get back sometimes.

My PAL N64 is from 1998 and I used the same s-video cable as my NTSC N64 unit, both support it. Make sure your TV has a proper S-Video port as Swainy said. Lots of generic cables on Amazon for sale.

You can get S-Video to scart converters, but avoid them like the plague as they require your TV has a scart port wired for S-Video and almost no TVs in the UK had this. If you try to do this you'll get a black and white picture at best via a normal composite or RGB wired scart port.

Yeah I’ve got 5 crt’s in my games room and only the one with an S-Video port is my bang and olufsen.

I didn’t realise TVs that do S-Video over SCART were uncommon.  My 21” Trinitron does it over the 2nd port, which. Was great for the NTSC GC!

3 hours ago, Swainy said:

How long ago did you email him? He can take a day or so to get back sometimes.

5 days a ago.

I'm using a koryuu s video to component transcoder. I'd paste a link but phone not letting me for some reason. They're on video game perfection site.

I'm getting a black and white picture. Troubleshooting guide says it's probably caused by poor quality s video cable. Hence I'm trying to find good one.

Maybe give him another email. I got something from him a few weeks into lockdown and he did mention that he had a lot going on.

37 minutes ago, Swainy said:

Maybe give him another email. I got something from him a few weeks into lockdown and he did mention that he had a lot going on.

Thanks

1 hour ago, thegreathopper said:

I found S video to be the best output on my Japan and USA N64, much better than RGB modded, lovely and bright image on Sony CRT’s.

Really? I’ll stick to a Svideo then. 

hope my panny carries a svideo over SCART. my aiwa crt did

RGB modded N64's can have a dark image without an RGB amp. 

I have a Tim Worthington RGB mod in mine with the RGB amp and it looks glorious. 

the telly doesn't have s-video input, AV2 carries S-Video, but I don't have a scartblock

I have a weird nintendo -> scart cable with a breakout composite connection halfway down

I might try that and see if:

a. it's wired for s-video

b. the telly lets me switch between composite and s-video on AV2(S)

7 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Maybe unamplified RGB. 

Won’t be able to use an OSSC either with S-Video. 

I can only imagine how bad an N64 looks on a modern Tv, I have an OSSC but with Neo Geo and SNES the image looks bad so it’s back in the box.

Wave Race, Mario Kart, 1080 and Excite bike look wonderful on a CRT with S video (that’s all I play), lovely and smooth. Strangely every TV I have owned since I can remember had a separate S video in, I always had Sony and then B&O.

I ordered a s-video SCART block even though I had found the cable that’s wired for s-video over SCART. :facepalm:

im using an ED64, switched to NTSC, in an NTSC-J N64 and:

composite is colour in ntsc games

composite is in black and white in (E) title

s-video is black and white, regardless

be easier if I stuck it in one of my PAL consoles, least then we can enjoy s-video quality...

(the boy is playing F1WGP2 in b&w)

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out. 

in the meantime, my svideo SCART block arrived, and now I have colour ntsc s-video, disconnected the composite signal, to reduce interference, and it looks amazing:

3EBE8FAC-D2A7-4F8A-BD82-CD08C7CD4EAA.thumb.jpeg.eca906814583f1d3acb8e0a7f765f13d.jpeg

mind, it started shite, super pixelated, with a weird hessian fabric pattern...

Spoiler

FF630E88-3ABE-42CD-BD74-C4766BBD9BBA.thumb.jpeg.e0e4d36d8ff1029abcad7563dd6cb864.jpeg