22 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

He absolutely needs to go and I expect he will.

Sorry to go back to what you were saying yesterday - but if you think the revelations will not have much impact on their profits, why would he go? If this is just a blip that will have a minor effect on sales, surely he should just ride it out?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

The Guillemot family own like 20% of Ubisoft, I think. Do you think you can expect him to leave?

If Randy Pitchford can keep working I imagine he can. If you’re a total prick but own a lot of the company you can just wait until it blows over and gamers forget because there’s hot new micro transactions to pay for. There’s plenty of people buying games who think being directly abusive to women is a good thing as well.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, The Bag said:

So following up on the alleged Ubi practice of moving problem staff around (something the Catholic church used to do) they're now asking ex-employees to sign NDAs in order to facilitate internal investigations? That's something else the Catholic church used to do as well and would lead to the church either clearing themselves or dragging their feet until the complainants gave up.

I would be lawyering up ASAP if I were any of those ex staff. It's practically an admission of wrongdoing and rick management.

Also new Jim Sterling, he's head the criticism of people here and has left himself out of the videos and has forgone the "thank God for me" thing which might validate some of his points this time for those worried he was undercutting his own argument.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

How would you coerce an ex-employee to do anything? A bribe essentially?

Or a threat "you might want to think about your future job prospects" or an appeal to justice "we'll definitely look into your complaint and it might help future employees, just sign on the dotted line." 

• Upvote 2
On 23/07/2020 at 10:14, Quest said:

I imagine the dog fighting was for AC: Syndicate, though it's telling that I can easily imagine Ubisoft adding an interactive rape sequence to almost any of those games.

Haze was due to have a rape scene but I don't think that ever got too far past the initial pitch. I remember underappreciated story genius Rob Yescombe lamenting the fact that they made them take the rape out. It was supposed to make you really hate the bad guys but Ubi must have realised the characters were unlikeable enough and the rape wasn't needed.

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

It was supposed to make you really hate the bad guys but Ubi must have realised the game was shit enough and the rape wasn't needed.

FTFY. ;)

On 23/07/2020 at 23:36, Unofficial Who said:

Also new Jim Sterling, he's head the criticism of people here and has left himself out of the videos and has forgone the "thank God for me" thing which might validate some of his points this time for those worried he was undercutting his own argument.

No, introing the video behind his podium and the "thank god for me" line are just part of the Jimquisition videos he does every week. He does plenty of other videos without those elements. The pedantic pat part of my brain just wanted to put that out there. Because I'm a bit shit like that. 

Going back to the main topic, it's all just grim. The allegations and stories that have already come out are awful but Ubisofts response so far has been appalling. All this talk of NDAs to cover their own arses instead of tackling things head on. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Another one gone.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-03-ubisoft-exec-tommy-francois-leaves-company

Another senior Ubisoft staff member has left the company amid its ongoing investigations into sexual harassment and abuse. 

This time, it's Tommy François, who was placed on leave in June after facing multiple claims of misconduct. 

Business Insider's Samuel Horti broke the news via Twitter yesterday, after seeing an internal memo announcing François' departure penned by Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot. 

Today, Ubisoft confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that François had "left the company, effectively immediately". No other details were given.

François joined Ubisoft in 2006. As vice-president of editorial and creative services, his role saw him in charge of greenlighting and developing new video game franchises within the company.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/14/21368856/assassins-creed-director-allegations-fired-ashraf-ismail-ubisoft-montreal?

Ashraf Ismail, former creative director of the forthcoming Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, who left that role in late June following social media allegations of sexual misconduct, has been formally terminated by Ubisoft. The news comes from an internal memo sent to Kotaku on Friday.

In the memo, Ubisoft Montreal employees were told that an outside investigative firm had looked into the matter, and Ubisoft determined “that Ashraf’s employment with Ubisoft had to be terminated.” The publisher told employees it would not divulge any details from the investigation.

On the 45 minute long credits at the end of the next Ubisoft bloatathon, they should just have the names of all the sex pests who worked on it yellow. I really want to know if the Junior Vice President of Marketing at Ubisoft Montpellier is dodgy.

So this turned up in my FB memories from 7 years ago

5820FAD4-78C0-4D42-A2DE-1223B82AB926.thumb.jpeg.a12a7f2a21da68ef3886934607237a17.jpeg

My comment at the time was:

"In a statement released earlier today Ubisoft said 'we cannot explain the sudden jump in sexual harassment lawsuits'"

:facepalm:

• Upvote 3

I’m surprised nobody in the games media I’ve seen is planning to boycott their games. I know that people won’t be able to resist playing the games, but I’m surprised more media outlets aren’t keen to avoid coverage of a company that is not only a hotbed of abuse but that isn’t even pretending to try and solve it. 

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

I’m surprised nobody in the games media I’ve seen is planning to boycott their games. I know that people won’t be able to resist playing the games, but I’m surprised more media outlets aren’t keen to avoid coverage of a company that is not only a hotbed of abuse but that isn’t even pretending to try and solve it. 

One would think they only care about the ad revenue from covering the likes of Valhalla

• Upvote 2

Broker, are you suggesting that, say, Eurogamer should start organising and lobbying for an Ubi boycott? That seems unlikely. I know I won't be buying an Ubisoft game any time soon, but ethical boycotts like the one you want don't tend to come from the media in any sector, do they? You wouldn't see The Guardian start a boycott on Palm Oil products or whatever. You'd expect them to report on a boycott that consumer pressure groups started. The onus is on gamers to start one.

I was thinking more along the lines of them not reviewing their games anymore because it’s kinda gross lavishing praise on a product made in an environment where women aren’t considered to be human. But yeah I guess that’s probs my a bit much to expect from glorified PR people.

• Upvote 2

I will be buying it, unless it's totally unplayable, so I hope some sites review it.

I won't be getting it first day, though, as Assassin's Creed games drop in price very quickly.

Should it ever be released on Switch, I'll probably double dip.

I can’t fathom why you would need a review for an AC game. Can’t you just watch the review for the last 400 games, and just imagine they’re saying vikings instead of Egypt?