rllmuk

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

It's disappointing that there doesn't really seem to be much about this on Twitter. A search for 'Ubisoft' mostly brings up stuff about the conference tomorrow or the Far Cry leak, while '#Ubitoo' doesn't bring up much at all, unless I'm Twittering wrongly.

It's probably a bit tricky to find now (particularly if you're using the hashtag in this thread, which I'd not seen at all in any of the discussion on Twitter), but it was extensively discussed on Twitter a few weeks ago (at least, the bits of Twitter I see); it's just that we've now passed the point of it being 'current, high profile news'. The peak of discussion was a just under a fortnight ago when it became headline news in Libération, but it had been pretty high profile prior to that.

There's been a good deal of discussion of the problems; (ex-)employees talking about what they'd experienced, and a great deal of criticism of Ubisoft's (lack of) response - both in terms of how long it's taken to get any attention, and in terms of 'setting up an internal committee made up of existing people in power to fix the problems stemming from an awful corporate culture is self-evidently not a proper solution'.

And yeah, it's all fucking horrific.

(probably worth noting the discussion first started building up as part of a wider series of horrendous revelations around the industry - including stuff like Chris Avellone being revealed as a predator, Jeremy Soule being re-revealed as a rapist, (old?) IGN management being abusive shits and other stuff - so most of the Twitter stuff 'at the time' wasn't presented as a single problem associated with Ubisoft, hence it not being so easy to find as a single, focussed hashtag or similar)

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

It's disappointing that there doesn't really seem to be much about this on Twitter. A search for 'Ubisoft' mostly brings up stuff about the conference tomorrow or the Far Cry leak, while '#Ubitoo' doesn't bring up much at all, unless I'm Twittering wrongly.

I’ve only seen Ubitoo here. As mentioned, it’s been reported quite widely under the generic videogames and board games communities are cesspits twitter tags.

it seems quite unlikely that they’re uniquely cesspits.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, footle said:

I’ve only seen Ubitoo here. As mentioned, it’s been reported quite widely under the generic videogames and board games communities are cesspits twitter tags.

it seems quite unlikely that they’re uniquely cesspits.

There was a flood of activity two weeks ago in the #metoo and "some streamers are the worst" threads.

Well, this at least is something, and more than most expected:

Also interesting timing immediately before their pseudo conference. I'd idly, jokingly mused in the conference thread whether they'd bring up the issues in that conference, being as it is entirely marketing focussed, but given the above maybe there is actually a chance they'll bring the subject up.

• Upvote 7

I guess they really didn't want to postpone their event.

Decent first step but Ubisoft need to commit to longer term measures whilst they're still under scrutiny. It's hard to believe that anything in the Liberation articles was news to those in charge, so I'd like to see some firm commitments whilst they're still sorry they were caught.

• Upvote 1

I've really wanted to speak out here but I just can't go in details obviously, it's been frustrating to see some people presume this would just be brushed under the carpet but understandable given the history of the industry.

Changes from the top like in the above post are huge but there are also many other promising healthy changes that are taking place and being planned for long term solutions. In my 15 years in game dev this is without a doubt the most serious I've ever seen these issues taken, it's been a long time coming but it does finally feel like a pivotal moment for the industry. Hopefully in the near future Ubi can talk more publicly about the many steps that are being put into place to create a healthier environment for everyone.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 2

6 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

There was a flood of activity two weeks ago in the #metoo and "some streamers are the worst" threads.

I was thinking “broader IT”, manufacturing, retail etc. The focus in those threads is obviously not that wide: I’ve still only really seen the creative arts.

I wonder if they’ll address this on their live stream later?

Is the conference later a press conference, where journalists can ask questions, or essentially just a presentation where they present some new games.

If they are going to run the conference later then they have to at least address this stuff, surely?

I think that it’s going to be like that Sony thing a few weeks back, a video package of here’s our upcoming games (most of which have leaked) please get hyped. Regardless of the scumbags resigning, it still feels incredibly bad taste for them to go ahead with it right now.

spacer.png

Yves Guillemot should step down as well. He's busy doing the whole I knew nothing, honest guv, I'm as shocked as you act. The Liberation article says different. I know which one I'm inclined to believe.

Still, there's two scenarios, he was either complicit by turning a blind eye to many years of abuse and helping this culture prosper as long as his mates made Assassins Creed with New Hat! make money. Or he was genuinely clueless (unlikely), in which case he's an incompetent leader if this sheer scale of abuse was going on under his nose and he didn't notice at all.

Either way he should go. He's was personally making $1,219,280 a year, before whatever ridiculous bonuses he also gets, during all this.

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Allowing the CCO to resign and term it as a "need for a change" is pretty damning for Guillemot after what happened.

He should resign.

• Upvote 2

Yeah that’s pretty galling. He needs to be investigated, not agree to leave by mutual consent and that be the end of it. 

• Upvote 2

I wonder if Yves' chums are leaving with a big payout to boot?

The Guardian has picked it up. Hopefully it'll get a bit more coverage. I imagine that any game announcements this evening during the conference will push it from the headlines, however.

• Upvote 1

I'm expecting at absolute most that Yves Guillemot will have a short video package at the start, making a sad face and mewling about how lessons have been learned and how we will do better and things will change... then smash cut to someone in a neon purple otter suit dancing to Dua Lipa's Physical in Just Dance, a lovingly rendered throat cutting in Assassin's Creed and a painful talking head of Gus Fring trying to desperately pretend that he gives the slightest shit about being in Far Cry 6.

They need to postpone for a decent while. This feels like the Weinstein Company putting on a film festival a few days after the Ronan Farrow article came out.

• Upvote 5

I don’t really see how he can stay in post, no. He’s done an amazing job building that company but he’s 59 and loaded and I don’t see a way back. Might as well just slip away into the shadows and enjoy his money. 

Replacing Hascoet is the bigger, and imo far more difficult question. He’s their Miyamoto. 

• Empathy 1

Their statements so far don’t exactly inspire confidence. It’s going to be some generic “do better” stuff when really they need to be taking ownership of this and what they’ve said so far makes it look like they’re actually protecting Serge’s reputation by saying he needs to move on because it’s “time for a change,” rather than because he’s an absolute scumbag who needs to be jettisoned into the sun.

Ubisoft isn't going let such trivialities as systemic abuse and harassment get in the way of business! Depressingly, the majority of responses consist of gamers being very relieved that they won't miss out on seeing a trailer. Because you know, priorities.

• Upvote 4

Horrendous. First of all, it’s not as if any of this is news to Ubisoft - just that the story has broken today. Secondly, if Microsoft can have their execs film from their homes with awful webcams, Ubisoft can cobble together something to get a statement by Yves recorded.

And even that tweet doesn’t acknowledge anything.

• Upvote 2

On 12/07/2020 at 06:52, jonamok said:

Gamerz don’t care.

Given the feeding frenzy earlier today over free copies of Watchdogs 2 you may well be correct.

Thing is, those at the top of Ubisoft my be utter turds, but the hundreds (maybe thousands? - They are really big, after all) of employees slaving away to crunch on the latest instalment of a tired, repetitive, ten year + old franchise will be the ones who suffer if people suddenly up and stop buying Ubisoft products (which I know they won't). If people take a moral stand against the company and "vote with their wallet", it won't be the already uber-rich senior execs that feel it, it'll be the programmers and coders and artists and QA people barely scraping by that get jettisoned into an already tumultuous and unfair industry when Assassin's Creed doesn't hit some arbitrary metacritic score or sell enough units.

I was so utterly done with Ubisoft even before all this because their games are just boring now. Carbon copies in slightly different settings. The fact their culture is so depressingly bad and god knows how many people have suffered as a result just hammers home they're a shitheel, creatively bankrupt company.

• Upvote 1

On 12/07/2020 at 11:14, Nate Dogg III said:

Replacing Hascoet is the bigger, and imo far more difficult question. He’s their Miyamoto. 

On the upside, maybe having someone new in that role will inspire Ubisoft to ditch the formula for their third person games that has been used all gen and is getting more than a bit tired now. Their various series have been starting to blend into each other.

• Upvote 1

On 12/07/2020 at 12:14, Nate Dogg III said:

I don’t really see how he can stay in post, no. He’s done an amazing job building that company but he’s 59 and loaded and I don’t see a way back. Might as well just slip away into the shadows and enjoy his money. 

Or do a Bruno Bonnell and become a MP...