Which Sony handheld is the 'best' on-the-go emulation device?

On 18/07/2020 at 03:32, dumpster said:

Don't know about "best" but I like Mgba as it uses square to load a save state and triangle to save, so it's easy to cheat your way through.  Or use Retroarch and experiment with the different cores.  But from memory, GBA emulation was better on PSP, so use the PSP GBA emulators on your Vita. 

I've been using TempGBA. Mainly because the other GBA emu on PSP, gpKai or whatever it's called, wouldn't show up. I got a corrupted icon in my menu. Which is weird, because I downloaded the version specifically for the Slim PSP, and this PSP definitely has CFW on it. Just one of the many annoyances. I considered patching it, or trying alternates, but I was like, mehhhhhh?

TempGBA works well enough.

Apart from Zelda LTTP, which every time I try starting it says the save data is corrupted and will not let me start a new game. It says it cannot create a new save file. I google searched, found three other people with the same problem, but no one gave a concise explanation to solve it, so I reckon I'll just play LTTP on my SNES Mini.

Second Vita gettttt! A nice original OLED model that I basically got for a nickle and a dime due to a tiny dent in one of the corners of the screen. Fine with me! They even threw in a 16GB memory card, which should be more than enough for my GBA and PSX desires.

OK, I've never, ever done homebrew on any kind of device before. so consider me a noob. Anyone got a some simple pointers on what to do so I can start playing Ninja Cop on my Vita ASAP? (Or am I not allowed to ask for direct instructions on things that could be considered piracy? Not every forum's OK with that.)

On 20/07/2020 at 02:06, Sketch said:

Apart from Zelda LTTP, which every time I try starting it says the save data is corrupted and will not let me start a new game. It says it cannot create a new save file. I google searched, found three other people with the same problem, but no one gave a concise explanation to solve it, so I reckon I'll just play LTTP on my SNES Mini.

I ran into a similar problem trying to play the Famicom Mini / NES Classics GBA re-releases, where the games wouldn’t even load. An anti-piracy/anti-emulation solution from Nintendo, which worked in this case, I suppose. No patches or solutions are available because no-one cared enough.

10 hours ago, DeDeDe said:

I ran into a similar problem trying to play the Famicom Mini / NES Classics GBA re-releases, where the games wouldn’t even load. An anti-piracy/anti-emulation solution from Nintendo, which worked in this case, I suppose. No patches or solutions are available because no-one cared enough.

https://hiddenpalace.org/Famicom_Mini_Collection_(prototype)

This collection of these titles works fine on real hardware, it might be worth trying out.

On 23/07/2020 at 15:09, merman said:

Damn this topic. Now I need a modded Vita...

Do it! Much as I love the modded Switch, the Vita is such a great screen and so easily portable, it's a cracking machine when modded.

On 13/07/2020 at 23:13, Ozzy Womandias said:

OK, sod it: I'm getting both a Go (to satisfy my gadget lust) and another Vita (for modding purposes).

I now own both. I officially need to start managing my finances better (read: find out how to hide certain expenses from my wife).

And, fuck me, modding a Go is a bit quick and easy compared to the Vita, eh!? :lol: I was literally done in minutes!