Far Cry 6 - Island Fring

Harsin

4 hours ago, FlowerOfInfinity said:

Just replaying 5 at the mo! Hope they integrate the story better. And bring back tower climbing though I think that one’s just me :D

Not just you, I loved the tower climbing. Bring more of them. 

So October 7th then. 

To be honest, I think Far Cry 5 looks way better, still.  I'm watching them play Far Cry 5 now with the devs from 6 and the detail and weapon mechanics of 5 look better that what we saw in the video for 6 above.

I was going to say it looks like they are trying to incorporate the GTA Story and feel for this, but it comes off a little soggy blanket. 

Inventive weapons and so on, but their gimmicks will be boring within minutes.

I actually played through 5 and thought it was alright, but nothing memorable and I am sure this will be the same. With a world so big, the crevices that should contain game changing rewards will likely contain some XP and a weapon part.

Not that those things are awful, I just want them in my MMOs, not my single player experiences. 

We will see more soon no doubt.

I think it looks really inventive/fun. But it also looks like it likes the smell of itself a bit too much. The biggest issue with Far Cry 5 is that it was a super fun game/world coupled with truly terrible storytelling that was rammed down your throat at every opportunity. There was literally a bar that went up the more fun you had, and when that bar filled up you had to endure another terrible encounter with "the family." I got about a third of the way in and that bar filled up again and I just switched the thing off and never went back to it. From the looks of that video they're dealing everything up to 11 in terms of action, and keeping that player freedom a part of proceedings. But it was also full of slightly shonky character stuff that I couldn't be less interested in. You know the definition of insanity etc etc. 

Also it's Ubisoft so fuck Ubisoft as always. 

23 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

I throw money at good games. Far Cry 6 I will play when its on Ubi+

Its such a shame. Far Cry used to be something that brought something new to the table.....wasn't the original Far Cray created by some German lads? Then Ubisoft got a hold of it and turned it into McFarCry. 

22 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

It's Far Cry. What did you expect?

The series used to be revolutionary, the first one was a game changer, so was the second one. The third one fine tuned and (arguably) perfected the recipe but from there it has pretty much gone downhill, this looks worse than 5 for me.

I liked FC 3, 4 and 5 (enforced story aside), but 6 just strikes me as miserable in terms of the tone and the setting.

The other games still had struggles with an oppressor, and bad stuff happening, but at least the environments were fun and (usually) uplifting to wander around in. The jungles look nice in 6 I guess?

I'm sure I'll get 6 at some point, it just looks like a bit of a slog. And I'm not keen on the gimmicky weapons either (I'm fairly boring and stick to the LMG & shotgun combo, with an occasional rocket launcher thrown in), but I guess they feel the need to innovate and I can't blame them for that.

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

Its such a shame. Far Cry used to be something that brought something new to the table.....wasn't the original Far Cray created by some German lads? Then Ubisoft got a hold of it and turned it into McFarCry. 

crytek did the cryengine and did the first farcry which was used to churn out instincts/predator/evolution/vengeance, for Ubisoft

crytek went to EA, and did crysis

ubisoft did all the other far cry games

Agree that this series really went to complete shit. As said above, the writing is just deeply unpleasant - nihilistic and grim with all of the characters complete unlikeable scum.

I really miss when it was just you against an anonymous enemy, creeping through lush jungle undergrowth, discovering beautiful lagoons and rivers, all that verdant Amazonian nature to enjoy. Now it feels bleak and despondent, the tone of it is too dark in a crass, ugly way. I always feel like I need a shower after playing Far Cry now.

Weird how its identity shifted so much when the original format was so much more enjoyable and, you would think, commercial.

3 hours ago, Stevie said:

It’ll be on Ubi+ at release, that’s literally the point of Ubi+ 😀

The gameplay loop and production values in FC5 were fantastic, close to perfection for me. I've played the game through three times just because I love mucking about in Montana.

The series hasn't got stale for me. It's still the pinnacle of open world shooters, but the writing has nosedived hard. Jason Brody and Vass was flawed enough but serviceable, but man 5 was just complete ass.

I really enjoyed 5 for the most part. Is 4 worth playing ? Especially now it’s an FPS boost title ? I’ve heard some say it’s the best of the more recent titles (3,4,5)

4 was fine. They're all 'fine' if you like the Ubisoft template, the problem is they're all interchangable and every single character is a complete arsehole. There isn't a likeable person in any of them. I get that given the situations the plots of these games sets up that might seem like an odd complaint but if you don't give a fuck about anyone you're not engaged and collecting icons on a map makes for a dull as fuck game.

I don't think it's any coincidence my favourite is the entirely stupid non-canon neon drenched idiocy that is Blood Dragon.