rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

Far Cry 6 - Island Fring

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

I really loved Far Cry 5, it felt great to play and all of the systems came together in ways that were genuinely funny in places. But then every 4 hours or so it would give you a completely awful linear story mission that just completely destroyed the pace of the game and wasn't any fun at all. All the freedom, all the mopping up fun stuff around an island as animals and AI and vehicles crash into each other because of stuff you've done is just thrown out of the window for these missions. Sometimes these lasted up to an hour, an hour of you walking slowly in drugged up shitemares, or making your way down grey corridors shooting people as one of "the family" drone on and on and on about some A Level philosophy crap that purposely doesn't make a point in order to avoid being "political." 

Far Cry 5 was a beautiful game at times, but as you say it was also shit. Ubisoft policy is a tragedy and it hurts the industry. Ubisoft is to games what Poundland is to sandwiches. The fact that thew game could have been so much greater is what makes this whole thing sad. 

39 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Ubisoft policy is a tragedy and it hurts the industry. Ubisoft is to games what Poundland is to sandwiches.

I don’t think this is the case at all. Everyone likes to focus on the Ubisoft tower simulators but no one wants to acknowledge all the new IP they put out, or their policy of supporting their games (even the single player, non games as a service ones) with ongoing content in a way few other companies do. 

Basically anything that doesn’t fit the narrative that Ubisoft make lazy games all about climbing towers and maps full of icons is disregarded. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don’t think this is the case at all.

But for some reason, the titles Ubisoft spends the most money on are the most generic. Ubisoft paying a bedroom programmer to release her game under the Ubisoft umbrella doesn't count. 

• Empathy 1

6 minutes ago, Stevie said:

But for some reason, the titles Ubisoft spends the most money on are the most generic. Ubisoft paying a bedroom programmer to release her game under the Ubisoft umbrella doesn't count. 

Disagree. Assassin’s Creed Origins was a franchise overhaul -not what I’d call generic - and they supported it with loads of free content, including the history tour mode, for free. Beyond Good and Evil 2 looks like it’s costing them a small fortune. Mario vs Rabbids wasn’t a budget project.

Even their “generic” games - The Division, The Crew, Watch Dogs - all brand new IP for this generation. So are Gods and Monsters and Skull and Bones. Even their existing franchises - Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, Assassin’s Creed have received significant overhauls for this generation.

Ubisoft make more new IP than any other big third party publisher and still get the same tired criticisms levelled at them again and again, by people who usually haven’t kept up with them.

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

Ubisoft make more new IP than any other big third party publisher and still get the same tired criticisms levelled at them again and again, by people who usually haven’t kept up with them.

But is their new IP's any good?

Even their “generic” games - The Division, The Crew, Watch Dogs - all brand new IP for this generation. So are Gods and Monsters and Skull and Bones. Even their existing franchises - Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, Assassin’s Creed have received significant overhauls for this generation.

Yeah The Division and Watch Dogs, Ghost Recon, games that received bad ratings because they were bad. Its funny that Assassins Creed 2 is considered to be the best game of the franchise. 

Whether or not it’s any good is besides the point. They invest huge sums of money in more new IP than any other third party publisher, which doesn’t exactly fit with your point that they’re the Poundland of the industry, churning out the same games, endlessly.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint went down like a lead balloon because they’d spent 2 years supporting Wildlands (which did not receive a bad rating) with free content which made Breakpoint look bare on release. Which is not what I call a tragedy of a policy which hurts the industry.

• Upvote 1

I’d argue Ubisoft have been the best and most consistent of the big three Western publishers this gen, despite not actually liking the majority of their games. They’re miles better than EA and Activision; their single player games are generous with content, in terms of GaaS The Division and it’s sequel also offer far more than Destiny and it’s own sequel (to say nothing of Anthem) and they’ve shown a commitment to sticking with titles that don’t find their feet at first like Siege and Breakpoint.

I say that as someone who absolutely hates open world icon-clearers.

• Upvote 3

Are they still trying to make For Honor a thing though?

23 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Whether or not it’s any good is besides the point. They invest huge sums of money in more new IP

Nah dude. Money doesn't matter unless you are a bean counter working for Ubisoft. Computer games is supposed to be an art form. 

Ghost Recon Breakpoint went down like a lead balloon because they’d spent 2 years supporting Wildlands (which did not receive a bad rating) with free content which made Breakpoint look bare on release. Which is not what I call a tragedy of a policy which hurts the industry.

Breakpoint went down because it was a shit game. If Breakpoint went down because Ubisoft supported their own game, Wildlands, then it just shows how incompetent Ubisoft really is. 

You’re the one who brought up money!

If you want to talk about art form then I go back to my point about new IP - they make more than any other big publisher. Just because you don’t like it or it doesn’t meet whatever arbitrary criteria you’ve set for games being art doesn’t mean they’re not producing these new pieces of work. 

I don’t see how you can call that a tragedy of policy. 

@CarloOos I totally agree. I don’t like most of their games but I can appreciate the work they put into them.  

40 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Whether or not it’s any good is besides the point. They invest huge sums of money in more new IP than any other third party publisher, which doesn’t exactly fit with your point that they’re the Poundland of the industry, churning out the same games, endlessly.

One of Wildlands DLC - Narco Road - was awful.

4 hours ago, Minion said:

Far Cry 2 was fantastic, now that is a remaster we could do with.

I’m nicking from my own post in a different thread here, but another feather in Far Cry 2’s cap is that it’s the only game in the series that doesn't tie itself in knots trying to justify your actions. You’re a piece of shit mercenary hunting down a nihilist arms dealer, your allies give you optional bonus objectives like "poison this town's water supply" and by the end everyone has betrayed everyone. The finale has you literally agreeing with the nihilistic ‘villain’, that everyone you’ve worked for in the game is as bad as each other, so you end up and killing every single (surviving) friendly NPC. 

It’s a genius ending and the only morally honest FPS I can think of.

9 hours ago, djbhammer said:

As we know already, the game stars Breaking Bad and The Mandalorian's Giancarlo Esposito as its antagonist Anton Castillo, a brutal dictator who rules over the game's Cuban-influenced setting.

The casting of Anton Castillo, star of Pixar film Coco, was also confirmed today. He plays Castillo's 13-year-old son Diego: a boy unsure whether to follow in his father's footsteps.

Wut.

Shall we add this to the “games not coming out in February, whatever the release trailer says” list?

(even before this weeks upheavals, but even more so now)

Not wanting to piss vinegar, but I'm already bored to tears by the trailer. I've not played Far Cry 6 but I have played Far Cry, and Far Cry 6 looks like the Far Cry-st Far Cry.

100% there's a point where the villain says 'But I am not the bad guy".

Giancarlo Esposito is present to remind you of Breaking Bad and add weight by association, in lieu of the game doing any effective narrative work itself.

It's time for Ubisoft to produce enough flashy, mid-tier-celeb-laden trailers for everyone to mysteriously forget that the last few Far Cry games were identical, and that this will be no different.

9 hours ago, df0 said:

Not wanting to piss vinegar, but I'm already bored to tears by the trailer. I've not played Far Cry 6 but I have played Far Cry, and Far Cry 6 looks like the Far Cry-st Far Cry.

100% there's a point where the villain says 'But I am not the bad guy".

He'll also beat one of his own men to death in his introduction